Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Lucky's Farmers Market - New Grocery Store in Clintonville

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Lucky's Farmers Market – New Grocery Store in Clintonville

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • Author

DouginCMH
    Participant

On the other hand, Lucky’s so close to home makes it a lot less likely that I’ll be visiting the Lane Ave. Whole Foods.

By the way, I understand that in Colorado (where they’ve come from), you don’t need to charge for wine tastings. In Ohio you do. Hence, Lucky’s is tacking on a small $1 cost for wine tastings; includes four generous pours.

RBloodworth
    Participant

Having stopped by Lucky’s last night, I truthfully don’t think that Weiland’s is in as much danger as some posters seem to think it is. While both stores fall under the umbrella of “specialty grocers”, they don’t seem to be going after the same type of customer. Weiland’s is built around their butcher shop, wine and spirits section, and selection of gourmet food products. Lucky’s offers some of the same things (their cheese section is as good as anything in any other grocery store in the area), but their focus is decidedly more on health foods and their produce section. Personally speaking, Lucky’s reminded me a lot of EarthFare and the late Sunflower Market, only it was located in a MUCH more optimal spot for success. They struck me as competition for the Clintonville Community Market more than Weiland’s, only that store has such a hardcore customer base that I don’t see them being in danger either. I really only shop at Weiland’s for meat and alcohol (their wine and beer selection blows Lucky’s out of the water- and that’s not counting their liquor store), and I don’t see that changing much. Whole Foods and Market District, on the other hand, will probably lose some of my business.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

things like a 12-person manned crepe station

and a golf cart to roll your groceries out to your SUV

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Yeah I agree about Weilands selling to a different clientele.

I’m happy there’s plenty of opportunity for everyone.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Does anyone know what the working conditions are like at the store? Do they pay well? How many full-time employees do they have? I like to reward businesses that meet higher standards in that regard, like TJs and Costco.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Can they take over the Giant Eagle in Victorian Village?

/duck

DouginCMH
    Participant

Upon further review, at least for our household, Lucky’s biggest advantages are to be found on bulk item and produce pricing. It’ll be interesting to see how the latter evolves once the grand opening winds down. Some of the canned items, dairy, current pricing on cereals, these are very good. But there are also a lot of items where either pricing is not competitive, or brand options are either very limited or we’re being exposed to new brands with which we have no experience.

One oddity I ran into was that they were completely out of bread – twice – over the weekend when I stopped in. That’s just weird.

It’ll be a very convenient place for me to drop into. And I really look forward to seeing how Lucky’s settles in, the sort of improvements they make once they have a better sense of the community.

Re: employees, I have no idea how well they pay, their benefits structure. But I did find the staff to be very welcoming. They, like the customers, are still learning what’s in the store, where things are located, etc. But I found the store well-staffed and a very comfortable place to shop.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Make that three visits where they were out of bread. Seriously? Not so much as a baguette in stock? (I’m not referring to their pre-bagged offerings – which don’t interest me – but their fresh-based stuff). It is shockingly hard to find great bread in Clintonville.

RBloodworth
    Participant

That’s definitely odd. I’ve been there twice so far- both times after 8 PM (one of which was over the weekend) – and they had plenty of fresh-baked loaves in their bakery section on each occasion. There must be much more demand during peak hours than they anticipated (you’re dead-on about there being a dearth of good bakeries in Clintonville), which is understandable in the first week. Hope they get that fixed soon.

I know this will make me seem like a huge curmudgeon, but I have noticed that quite a few of the employees there appeared to be more than a bit baked themselves (all part of the authentic Boulder experience, I guess). Not that there’s anything wrong with that, per se, but I didn’t really appreciate waiting 10-15 minutes to have someone s l o w l y slice me half-pounds of roast beef and turkey, particularly when there wasn’t exactly a huge line at the deli counter. Again, I’m hoping that this is part of the employees learning the ropes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RBloodworth said:
    I know this will make me seem like a huge curmudgeon, but I have noticed that quite a few of the employees there appeared to be more than a bit baked themselves (all part of the authentic Clintonville experience, I guess).

FTFY. ;)

Graybeak
    Participant

Walker said:
    FTFY. ;)

Ah, I hadn’t heard that Clintonville had legalized marijuana for recreational use, as they did in Colorado.

rory
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Ah, I hadn’t heard that Clintonville had legalized marijuana for recreational use, as they did in Colorado.

yeah, I think it’s in the show.

WOSU Neighborhoods: Clintonville

DouginCMH
    Participant

I did have a staff member there ask me if tahini was a ‘kind of pasta sauce’ when I asked where I could it there last weekend. I think they’ve done a solid job of getting a complex, new operation up and running in a short time. Especially since, for Lucky’s, this is a pretty new experience. There are some kinks to work out but, all in all, they’ve gotten off to a solid start.

I liked, today, that they had some of the glass front ‘garage’ doors opened up near the produce section. Nice, market-y kinda feel.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

RBloodworth said:

I know this will make me seem like a huge curmudgeon, but I have noticed that quite a few of the employees there appeared to be more than a bit baked themselves (all part of the authentic Boulder experience, I guess). Not that there’s anything wrong with that, per se, but I didn’t really appreciate waiting 10-15 minutes to have someone s l o w l y slice me half-pounds of roast beef and turkey, particularly when there wasn’t exactly a huge line at the deli counter. Again, I’m hoping that this is part of the employees learning the ropes.

bro, she said “cut the cheese” heh, ha heh heh.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:

Who said anything about legal? ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: