Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Lucky's Farmers Market - New Grocery Store in Clintonville

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Lucky's Farmers Market – New Grocery Store in Clintonville

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 112 total)
  • Author

zp945
    Participant

I get that lots of things have been given the cold shoulder by the CAC but not necessarily the residents. I guess I just don’t see how it relates to a new grocery store in any way. Oh well, I’m happy this is opening mostly because that center is an eyesore currently and this will hopefully help change that.

Kahiki

Walker said:
    And food trucks.

This is a conversation about a grocery store, Walker. Please try to stay on topic. Thanks. :)

Graybeak
    Participant

Kahiki said:
    This is a conversation about a grocery store, Walker. Please try to stay on topic. Thanks. :)

Cookie

Haters gonna hate my walk score.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Kahiki said:

Ha! Fair enough. Carry on, Clintonvillians. ;)

bob.os
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    And a gas station c-store.

Hunh?

Gotta give us credit though. The Hustler store went in with minimal fuss.

Pablo
    Participant

I think most of the fuss was due to a few members on the CAC and their allies. Those folks have since left the CAC and the new commission seems more pro-development. We’ll see how that goes…

cbus11

Pablo said:
    It used to be Kroger before it moved to Broadway & High. The Big Bear across the street replaced the Lane Ave. roller rink Big Bear (I think).

That is interesting. I guess that answers whether the building is suited for a grocery. If they are half as good as the person who writes copy for their website,I think this has the potential to mix things up a bit for an even more competitive grocery environment.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pablo said:
    It used to be Kroger before it moved to Broadway & High. The Big Bear across the street replaced the Lane Ave. roller rink Big Bear (I think).

When I was a little skate rat in the 70’s we’d hurt ourselves in the ravine between there and Arcadia and nurse our wounds with soda pop and snacks from that Kroger.
    Those were the daze.
    Looking forward to another grocery option in the neighborhood, but between the North Market, Weilands and Big Bird (I have $4.80 off per gallon and 10 gallons in the garage), I can’t imagine them getting much of my money.

mrpoppinzs

Apparently they moved in 1984. I assume this means there is plenty of space.

Interestingly, the site of the former Blockbuster that the Goodwill moved to, used to be an A&P grocery.

Pablo
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Interestingly, the site of the former Blockbuster that the Goodwill moved to, used to be an A&P grocery.

When I lived in north campus in the late ’80s in was a Super Duper grocery store.

Kahiki

mrpoppinzs said:

Apparently they moved in 1984. I assume this means there is plenty of space.

Awesome photo!

RBloodworth
    Participant

When I lived in north campus in the late ’80s in was a Super Duper grocery store.

You’re right; Super Duper eventually took over the old A&P stores at both the current Goodwill site and where a CVS now stands in Worthington. I’m sure there were more (the building where Weiland’s now sits used to be a Super Duper, but I’m not sure it was ever an A&P). You can tell that a grocery store used to be an A&P by the pseudo-colonial building style that chain made ubiquitous.

It’s funny, but I’ve lived in Clintonville for about 95% of my 34 years, and I never once remember a Kroger being located in the former China Buffet shopping center. About the only thing I ever recall being in that building pre-Goodwill was a series of drug stores: first SuperX, then Revco, then CVS. Up until the current Clintonville Kroger replaced the original Bob Daniels Buick at Broadway and High (for some stupid reason, I do remember that place), the only Kroger I can remember visiting was the one at Morse and Karl. Then again, my mom always shopped more at Big Bear, Super Duper and Tarpy’s then she ever did at Kroger. Christ, I’m starting to sound like the narrator of Lost in the Supermarket

cbus11

Dispatch Article:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/01/17/specialty-grocer-has-plans-for-clintonville.html

Natural-foods stores are not new in this market.“Columbus has been inundated with gourmet markets” over the last two decades, said Jill Moorhead, marketing director for the Hills Market, a specialty grocery established in 1993.

While natural-food grocers were duking it out in the Columbus market, chefs and food-lovers Trish and Bo Sharon opened Lucky’s Market in Boulder in 2003. Bo Sharon had been a child star in Hollywood, playing Ron Howard’s son in the 1970s and 1980s television show Happy Days.

The Sharons’ vision “was to create a grocery store with a genuine personal touch that offered quality products at an affordable price,” according to the Lucky’s website. “Our foods cover the culinary spectrum of house-roasted meats, freshly prepared foods, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian and otherwise.”

With the explosion of interest in local and natural foods in the last few years, I think there’s plenty of room for places like Lucky’s to coexist with the locally owned grocery stores like us. We were a little surprised that they picked an area already pretty well served, but we’re happy for the opportunities local producers will have to sell to a broader market, and certainly happy to have one less empty storefront in the neighborhood! We’re grateful to have gotten so much support from our customers and neighborhood, and promise to keep working to earn everyone’s continued patronage. Thanks to everyone who has helped us stay strong and be able to be advocates for our awesome community.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: