Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Glass Recycling Program in Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife New Glass Recycling Program in Short North

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Geno99
    Participant

I thought this was a pretty neat story:
    —————————-

BARS, RESTAURANTS ALONG N. HIGH RECYCLING GLASS

June 11, 2014

Nearly three dozen N. High Street bars and restaurants have been participating since the start of the year in a glass-recycling program that state and city officials hope to expand.

The pilot program, which stretches from Lane Avenue to Broad Street, is collecting 3 to 4 tons of glass for recycling each week.

Organizers hope the effort sets an example for other local businesses.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

3-4 tons per week. wow.. that’s a lot of glass. amazing to think so much waste was being created.

does anyone know if the city publishes info like this on how much weight is being diverted by the curbside recycling program?

Geno99
    Participant

[quote=1024777]3-4 tons per week. wow.. that’s a lot of glass. amazing to think so much waste was being created…
    [/quote]

Yes, and in a pretty small area.

[quote=1024777]
    …does anyone know if the city publishes info like this on how much weight is being diverted by the curbside recycling program?
    [/quote]

Yes, they track it. There was an article in the dispatch about a year ago that reported that the curbside program was expected to pay for itself in avoided landfill fees within a year. At that time they had recorded about 22,000 tons but only for a partial year. I remember a more recent announcement from SWACO saying it was something like 31,000 tons per year in the first full year, but I can’t find the exact number. But I bet someone at SWACO knows.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.