Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Three-Story Building Proposed for Prescott at Pearl in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion New Three-Story Building Proposed for Prescott at Pearl in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Liner Notes said:
    It is getting easier, agreed. But I know from experience what it is like to live in a major city (SF) without a car, where I had to use public transportation to do my grocery shopping, laundry, take my cat to the vet, etc. It was a hassle there and Columbus doesn’t even come close in any community to the frequency and availability of its transit lines. But Car2Go, yeah I wish I had that option then.

San Francisco has some of the best transit options and walkability in the country. If it was a hassle there, then it sounds like no degree of improvements in Columbus is likely to satisfy your idea of what adequate transit options should look like. ;)

And that’s ok. Because other people might find what currently exists to be adequate. I have a friend who has lived in IV car free for years and years now, and she seems to be doing just fine. ;)

jbcmh81
    Participant

Liner Notes said:
    Actually, the SN design guidelines require at least two stories and any projects 6 or more stories are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. That isn’t necessarily discouragement for taller developments, but I think emphasizes the desire for smaller scale projects that fit the fabric of the neighborhoods. So it shouldn’t be considered odd that a community would want to weigh in on proposals of such height, even within the footprint set out by the SN design guidelines.

It just seems kind of arbitrary at times, though. Not that far away, you have a pair of buildings going up between 6 and 11 stories, so it’s kind of hard to see the logic in saying a 3.5 story building less than a block from High is too tall, especially when it’s right behind a 5-story.

I also think that this issue will only get worse. I see only two possible futures. 1. The SN will continue to get more dense, and that means that once the empty lots run out, other buildings will start to be replaced with taller, denser development, or 2. Restrictions and outcry will become such a problem that developers start looking elsewhere, perhaps to up and coming Franklinton, and the SN loses some, or a lot of, its current momentum.

Perhaps it will be a combination of both.

peanutnozone
    Participant

After looking over this thread and the Parkside of Pearl thread. Man. Come on. I think people’s concerns about both are valid in some respects but…there has been such good revitalization to Short North / IV / VV and environs…despite their oppositions, I wonder if they also realize that if they continue to be against these developments, this may stymy growth that can be a positive for everyone involved? I sure hope so.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Well, let’s keep this “opposition” in perspective. We’re talking about 10ish people at a community meeting. We’re not talking about mass, organized opposition.

And once everything was hashed out, the Italian Village Society voted to recommend approval of the easement for Parkside.

Moving forward, everyone living in IV with an opinion on these issues should make sure that their voices are heard. That’s the only way we’ll have a true gauge of neighborhood opinion.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

peanutnozone said:
    After looking over this thread and the Parkside of Pearl thread. Man. Come on.

The commentary on Facebook is much, much worse. Any time we post any news stories about development, there’s 100 people complaining about how the Short North sucks because they can’t park for free anymore:

ehill27
    Participant

Liner Notes said:
    …Columbus doesn’t even come close in any community to the frequency and availability of its transit lines…

I wouldn’t say this is true for ANY community.

We are very well served between the SN and downtown. High St between 5th and downtown is served by three lines that run at no more than 5-10min intervals at rush hour, 10-20min much of the rest. And then there are multiple other lines running on Neil, Summit and 4th. I basically have 7 lines I could ride for my commute. Frequency and availability wise, I couldn’t expect much better.

Now stations, or at least a roof over my head… that could be better.

I also frequent the bus beyond downtown and find it very useable between GV and Clintonville.

labi
    Participant

peanutnozone said:
    After looking over this thread and the Parkside of Pearl thread. Man. Come on. I think people’s concerns about both are valid in some respects but…there has been such good revitalization to Short North / IV / VV and environs…despite their oppositions…

IMO, most projects are improved by the process of public review and input. Very few projects spring in perfect form from the minds of the developer and his architect.

peanutnozone
    Participant

mbeaumont said:
    Well, let’s keep this “opposition” in perspective. We’re talking about 10ish people at a community meeting. We’re not talking about mass, organized opposition.

Walker said:
    The commentary on Facebook is much, much worse.

Eesh, I see that. Well, good on you all to understand that there are two valid sides to the issue. And that it doesn’t seem like a huge segment of people wanting to keep things the way they are and not see any growth.

Still, it must be frustrating to you, no? I guess things are still changing, despite, because everytime I come to Columbus to visit friends and family things have changed / new buildings are built / etc., so that’s heartening.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Walker said:
    The commentary on Facebook is much, much worse.

I could not do your job without daily tirades about the likes of those people. My version of CU would most likely end in a fiery crash.

Good work on constantly maintaining composure!

mbeaumont
    Participant

peanutnozone said:
    Still, it must be frustrating to you, no? I guess things are still changing, despite, because everytime I come to Columbus to visit friends and family things have changed / new buildings are built / etc., so that’s heartening.

It can be frustrating at times. But Democracy’s a bitch, right?

I think everyone wants to see Columbus keep moving forward and we’ve seen a lot of changes over the last decade so that can freak people out. To me the vast majority of these changes have been phenomenal, but everyone brings a different perspective to the table.

As long as the people weighing in are informed and engaged, we’ll come out ok in the end. CU is a big part of keeping people informed, but it’s all of our jobs to make sure that we’re staying engaged.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

peanutnozone said:
    Still, it must be frustrating to you, no?

A diverse range of opinions is great.

The only time I get frustrated is when I see someone express an opinion based on misinformation. Which in general seems to happen a lot more through social media comments than it does here on CU.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Walker said:
    A diverse range of opinions is great.

The only time I get frustrated is when I see someone express an opinion based on misinformation. Which in general seems to happen a lot more through social media comments than it does here on CU.

+1

Liner Notes
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    It just seems kind of arbitrary at times, though. Not that far away, you have a pair of buildings going up between 6 and 11 stories, so it’s kind of hard to see the logic in saying a 3.5 story building less than a block from High is too tall, especially when it’s right behind a 5-story.

Personally, I don’t have anything against the size of this project. I do think the design is a bit uninviting though. However, it isn’t “right behind a 5 story” building. It would sit to the east of a 2 story building that faces High St., west of a 2 story double with a very large yard, south of 2 story multi-family building, and north of both a single story and 2 story buildings. (The Hub is not far away, I know.) So just consider that this project would be the tallest structure on this block which is essentially at the corners of three alleys. Is it the best design?

jbcmh81 said:
    I also think that this issue will only get worse. I see only two possible futures. 1. The SN will continue to get more dense, and that means that once the empty lots run out, other buildings will start to be replaced with taller, denser development, or 2. Restrictions and outcry will become such a problem that developers start looking elsewhere, perhaps to up and coming Franklinton, and the SN loses some, or a lot of, its current momentum.

Perhaps it will be a combination of both.

1. Yes the lots will fill. But I think you will see even more scrutiny from residents and commissions as to what buildings get replaced and where. A forward thinking community would set out now to evaluate the stock of contributing vs. non-contributing properties to find potential opportunities for new development.

2. I don’t see development slowing to a halt in the SN as a result of outcry or restrictions. Nor do I see anything negative about developers moving into neighborhoods such as Franklinton. Isn’t more than one trendy neighborhood desirable for Columbus?

Liner Notes
    Participant

Walker said:
    San Francisco has some of the best transit options and walkability in the country. If it was a hassle there, then it sounds like no degree of improvements in Columbus is likely to satisfy your idea of what adequate transit options should look like. ;)

I sound like an old curmudgeon now. Wake me from my nap when COTA unleashes their teleportation stations. ;)

And stay off my lawn!

mbeaumont
    Participant

Liner Notes said:
    Isn’t more than one trendy neighborhood desirable for Columbus?

Absolutely.

Funnily enough I think that next big neighborhood is still going to be in the Short North. 4th St. in IV is getting ready to seriously take off. There’s some exciting stuff coming.

That being said, I was driving through the Hilltop the other day and man does that area have so much good building stock. That neighborhood has the potential to really be killer someday.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: