Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Five Story Building at High & Seventh

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Five Story Building at High & Seventh

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

howatzer
    Participant

So we need to keep the laundry mat because people in the area don’t have cars and we need to keep the parking lot so that people in the area can park their cars when they go to church?

jimbach
    Participant

howatzer said:
    So we need to keep the laundry mat because people in the area don’t have cars and we need to keep the parking lot so that people in the area can park their cars when they go to church?

It is funny when you put it that way, but you have to realize that the two don’t necessarily cater to the same group of people.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FireEngine said:
    For everyone who wants to pick up the laundromat and drop it in any old vacant space, its not that easy. Laundromats have very high utility requirements (water, electric, gas). Plus the floors have to be reinforced to support the weight of the equipment.

I wasn’t trying to suggest that it was easy… just that it was feasible.

FireEngine said:
    An unbalanced commercial washer doesn’t walk across the floor like a home model, it flies around smashing things.

Yeah, I imagine it could look like this x10:

howatzer
    Participant

jimbach said:
    It is funny when you put it that way, but you have to realize that the two don’t necessarily cater to the same group of people.

So, are you saying that coin-op users are godless or that christians are dirty and don’t wash their clothes?

Shame on you.

howatzer
    Participant

let me get this right – Walgreen’s is so racist that they want to build a pharmacy next to a predominantly african american neighborhood just so that they can discriminate against them?

rory
    Participant

howatzer said:
    let me get this right – Walgreen’s is so racist that they want to build a pharmacy next to a predominantly african american neighborhood just so that they can discriminate against them?

It’s kind of weird business model when you think about it isn’t it? But that’s exactly what they do.

The lawsuit alleges that Walgreen assigns black managers, management trainees and pharmacists to low-performing stores and to stores in black communities, and denies them promotions because of their race.

Walgreen accused by U.S. of bias in promoting staff

“Black managers are assigned to stores in black neighborhoods more often than one would expect, and black employees are not being promoted to management and within management as often as similar white employees,” said EEOC regional attorney Robert Johnson in St. Louis.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I’ve never seen that parking lot even close to being full (granted I don’t walk by on sunday). Heaven forbid the people that go to the church would have to *gasp* park two blocks away and walk. The laundry issue is more understandable, but honestly that block is IMO the ugliest and least pedestrian friendly in the entire SN/Campus area.

mrpoppinzs

With all of the students moving into Weinland Park (who do not want to buy large appliances for 1 year leases) I am thinking there will be demand for some new laundromats in the area. There seem to be some good locations for the right entrepreneurs.

I think that it is great that the civic is reaching out to Walgreens to hire locally. I imagine that outreach helped when Kroger hired for its renovated store. I know that change is somewhat feared, but change is part of the urban fabric that makes it so unique.

dru
    Participant

Suds and Java[/url]
    There is another laundromat 1 block south on High. I am unsure how it compares in terms of cleanliness and service, but it is fairly close.

I would also add that it would be nice if some of this demand for retail would spread to Summit, 4th or other corridors. I wouldn’t mind seeing a laundromat, dollar store or something else here –
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.994671,-82.99922&ll=39.994465,-82.99871&spn=0.002503,0.004823&num=1&t=h&gl=us&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.994677,-82.999087&panoid=mwStK_0BnG1gy_5gaRRTmA&cbp=12,258.58,,0,1.88

mrpoppinzs

dru said:
    Suds and Java[/url]
    There is another laundromat 1 block south on High. I am unsure how it compares in terms of cleanliness and service, but it is fairly close.

I would also add that it would be nice if some of this demand for retail would spread to Summit, 4th or other corridors. I wouldn’t mind seeing a laundromat, dollar store or something else here –
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.994671,-82.99922&ll=39.994465,-82.99871&spn=0.002503,0.004823&num=1&t=h&gl=us&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.994677,-82.999087&panoid=mwStK_0BnG1gy_5gaRRTmA&cbp=12,258.58,,0,1.88

Kelly’s carryout across the street from that is bad news. In another thread someone mentioned that OSU was considering extending its CABS bus service from Hudson to 5th Ave on its Summit and 4th Street routes to encourage more safety. I think that may help bring more retail to the area further away from High St.

There are some decent looking storefronts that would be great to put a business in. I would love it if the area could mirror some of the retail vitality recently experienced on those streets in North Campus nearer to Hudson.

jimbach
    Participant

There would be nothing I would love more than for more businesses to open up in the WP, especially along Fourth St on the same block as Oldfields. Ever since I’ve been involved in the neighborhood, my mantra has always been (and continues to be), “What I want is to be able to spend my money in my neighborhood.”

Current businesses don’t really allow much of that. The South Campus gateway is geared at people 25-30 years younger than me. I go to the cinema there as much as I can but that’s about it. I go to Oldfields a couple of times a month. I don’t frequent laundromats, convenience stores, or dollar stores, so those are out. What I want is a dry cleaner* and a coffee shop that’s not a Panera, Starbucks, or Caribou.

*Please don’t suggest Spring Cleaners a few blocks south. I’ve never had good service there, ever.

rory
    Participant

And that building at the corner of 7th and N. 4th would make a great sports bar with Thai food-subtle hint. Or a coffee shop.

mrpoppinzs

I am surprised there isn’t a mom & pop in there with it being so close to the school and all the events around there.

wpcc88
    Participant

I would love for someone to come in and restore the building between 11th & Chittenden on 4th.. such a cool old school building that could be apartments up top and a cafe on the bottom something that area doesn’t have currently

jimbach said:
    There would be nothing I would love more than for more businesses to open up in the WP, especially along Fourth St on the same block as Oldfields. Ever since I’ve been involved in the neighborhood, my mantra has always been (and continues to be), “What I want is to be able to spend my money in my neighborhood.”

Current businesses don’t really allow much of that. The South Campus gateway is geared at people 25-30 years younger than me. I go to the cinema there as much as I can but that’s about it. I go to Oldfields a couple of times a month. I don’t frequent laundromats, convenience stores, or dollar stores, so those are out. What I want is a dry cleaner* and a coffee shop that’s not a Panera, Starbucks, or Caribou.

*Please don’t suggest Spring Cleaners a few blocks south. I’ve never had good service there, ever.

Evelyn Van Til
    Participant

Want to invite all those who have ideas for business development and land use in Weinland Park to join us this Saturday, Feb 25 from 1-5PM at Godman Guild Association for a Strategic Planning Workshop focused on Weinland Park’s Community Development: from Employment and Land Use to Business and Economic Development: YOUR VOICE MATTERS!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: