Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Domino's Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining New Domino's Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

mbeaumont
    Participant

I don’t see myself ever eating there, but it’s great to see an established business move into a vacant building downtown. Not gonna complain about that.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I keep seeing great articles about the Dominos menus overseas. Search NPR for Dominos in Israel and India. Their “pizzas” or what passed for them there look amazing. I’d actually eat there if they served that kind of food here.

columbus_jy

pez said:
    Well the franchisee is locally-based. Not sure what the difference would be if he licensed Donato’s rather than Domino’s.

I also don’t know why there needs to be an unwritten rule that the Discovery District is only meant for local. Given proximity to campus, I feel like affordable options are a good thing, especially if it has some flair. There is so much infill needed in that surrounding area. I am excited because this location is going to crush it, and that can only encourage other retailers to take interest. And hopefully these retail options start to also convert campus commuters to downtowners.

Graybeak
    Participant

Right, and the Subway there on Grant is a national chain as well.

News
    Participant

Feb 7, 2014, 1:56pm EST
    New Domino’s ‘pizza theater’ concept coming to downtown Columbus
    Dan Eaton
    Staff reporter – Business First

The newest Domino’s Pizza coming to Columbus represents a homecoming of sorts. Though the pizza chain is based in Ann Arbor, Mich. and the franchisee for the new Gay Street and Grant Avenue pizzeria hails from Texas, the newest restaurant design was conceived right here in Columbus by Chute Gerdeman Inc.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/02/07/new-dominos-pizza-theater-concept.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sign just went up on the building:

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Hey I f’n love cheap pizza every once in a while. I actually wish the Dominos would have gone back into where Zpizza is now in Grandview. Sometimes you just want a $7 pizza :p

edit: is that Porta Kleen going to be the main entrance? Tres chic!

zp945
    Participant

Maybe it’s because I own zpizza, but I very rarely want a $7 pizza or a $1 hamburger. I understand pizza is a commodity based business, because that’s what the race to the bottom between large chains has given us, but I will happily pay a little bit more to have far superior ingredients. Also, We will sell you a $7 pizza. It will just be a small and not 2 mediums. You can even get an XL slice for the low price of $3!

Sorry to derail. I hope Domino’s does well here. I’m glad to see a large chain taking a chance on a not so established part of Downtown and I’m happy Chute Gerdeman did the work!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I will happily pay a little bit more to have far superior ingredients.

+1 to that.

And if I really want a $7 extra-large pizza, I can just make one at home from scratch for less than that. ;)

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Sometimes I eat at Wendy’s, sometimes at Bareburger. It’s the same with pizza. You do get what you pay for though. But sometimes quantity is better than quality especially if you’re in college. I hope this does well down there next CSCC.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

is that Porta Kleen going to be the main entrance? Tres chic!

That’s what I like about getting pics of ephemeral moments like that. It will probably never look like that again, but now there’s an image for the record.

anna20
    Participant

Maybe it’s because I own zpizza, but I very rarely want a $7 pizza or a $1 hamburger. I understand pizza is a commodity based business, because that’s what the race to the bottom between large chains has given us, but I will happily pay a little bit more to have far superior ingredients. Also, We will sell you a $7 pizza. It will just be a small and not 2 mediums. You can even get an XL slice for the low price of $3!

Sorry to derail. I hope Domino’s does well here. I’m glad to see a large chain taking a chance on a not so established part of Downtown and I’m happy Chute Gerdeman did the work!

As a person that had a roommate that worked for zpizza (I won’t mention her name), I do not think that it is fair for a zpizza person to derail this thread and to label Dominoes as contributing to the “race to the bottom” without acknowledging that zpizza is a part of it. Quality ingredients? I guess…

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I have had ZPizza and its really nothing special in my opinion.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Damn, I’ll see you guys at the bottom with this inferior pizza! Om nom

jbaker544
    jbaker544
    Participant

Nothing beats Yellow Brick in Old Town East, my favorite!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION