Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The New Charles Development in the King Lincoln District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The New Charles Development in the King Lincoln District

This topic contains 30 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Stephen43215 Stephen43215 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I drove past yesterday and noticed a large fence around the area where the city recently tore down a 3 story building and 3 houses along 17th and long. Anyone have an idea whats going on in this space? It seems something is happening since there is a construction fence up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I just heard back from a friend that the site is being prepped for development, but the developer is waiting for zoning approval to move forward.

More details soon. ;)

Urban Dansigner
    Participant

Seen the drawings. It will be a excellent development.

surber17
    Participant

lots of development news today! nice!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Urban Dansigner said:
    Seen the drawings. It will be a excellent development.

Hope there’s ground-floor retail. Long Street needs commercial development. ;)

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Yea, I just drove by and they are cleaing the land! NICE!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

So what is it going to be, or is it under wraps?

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

There has been a lot of development news this past week. Im guessing this is very good news for all of the area :)

As long as it isn’t Section 8 Housing it will be great and ground level retail space is desperately needed in the area – This is part of Olde Towne East as well as King Lincoln and any plans should be reviewed with the Olde Towne East Neighborhood Association and Long Street Business Association as well for their buyin and approval…my 2 cents.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A quick photo of the work going on over there… from here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-august-2011

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A teaser… more info coming this evening…

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Nice to see new development like this in the neighborhood. I hope some of the older buildings can be saved before they are long gone on Long Street.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So, I attended the NEAC meeting tonight where the developer gave a presentation on the project. It sounds pretty solid, but the commissioners were not at all happy with the lack of presentation detail. Renderings were practically non-existent and the verbal explanation for variances was not acceptable for them to approve the project on the spot. The vote was tabled until their next general meeting (Thursday) so that they’ve have a few extra days to get better presentation material.

All in all it sounds like the variances are for good reasons (minor height adjustment for a historic-looking turret atop the building, reducing parking lot size by 20% to comply with urban overlay, etc). I think it will get approved and be a nice fit for the area.

One point of concern expressed by commissioners is that the ground floor is 1/3rd retail and 2/3rd office space. The office tenant is already lined up though, so that’s the give and take. Would rather see more retail, but no guarantee on how quickly it would be filled. I imagine it could always be retrofitted in the future if the demand grows…

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Did the developer mention how many apartments or condos this project would include? If so whats the price range?

columbusmike
    Participant

The good thing is that the ground floor is dedicated for differentiated use. This will allow it to become retail or whatever in the future. Looking forward to seeing some nice renderings.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: