Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Convention Center Parking Garage Proposed Along E Goodale

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Convention Center Parking Garage Proposed Along E Goodale

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Wasted Space in Downtown: Convention Center
    March 25, 2014 7:50 am – Brent Warren

In his recent State of the City address, Mayor Coleman said that planning has begun on a $30 million renovation of the Greater Columbus Convention Center. Also in the planning stages is a parking garage to replace the surface lot on Goodale Street – directly across from the convention center – that will likely include a mixed-use element. Bill Jennison, Executive Director of the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority, has also said that adding retail along the center’s High Street frontage is a strong possibility.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/wasted-space-in-downtown-convention-center-bw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

construction has begun

I noticed that they have been doing some sort of underground (core sampling?) work with equipment on site the past two weeks, but I wasn’t sure if actual construction was starting soon or not… Here’s a quick photo I snagged last week:

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Some more details (and renderings) have emerged about renovations to the Convention Center: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2015/02/convention-center-expansion-wins-design-approval.html?page=2

There will be an expansion along Goodale, a skybridge connecting the Center to the new garage across the street, and a new entrance–two stories of glass, moved closed to the street–at Goodale and High.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I pretty much hate everything about this project and the Convention Center. No retail in the garage. A skybridge removing people from the street, no mixed use, no breaking up of the Convention Wall of Nothing… I will forever be salty about this.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Yeah, it really doesn’t seem like we’re getting much for a $125-million project. I think I had my hopes raised by the hotel renderings last year.

Pablo
    Participant

My understanding is that there will be a pool with fountains at the corner – a pool that will be empty 6 months of the year and will require security guards to keep people out of it during ComFest and Pride….

wpcc88
    Participant

This is actually going to do a lot for the convention center because they will be doing some much needed renovations and upgrades to the interior. Being at trade shows several times a year there it really is a pain to try and clean up a booth with no hot water. The convention center needs much more than a monstrous hotel.

jbcmh81
    Participant

This is actually going to do a lot for the convention center because they will be doing some much needed renovations and upgrades to the interior. Being at trade shows several times a year there it really is a pain to try and clean up a booth with no hot water. The convention center needs much more than a monstrous hotel.

I think the complaint revolves around the idea that a public/private partnership could’ve been done to get the project that was proposed last year, which was all-around, much better. With the private portion taking care of the Goodale section, $125 million in public dollars may not have even been needed to renovate the rest of the convention center. Instead, it’s entirely public and the design and plan are worse than it could’ve been.

News
    Participant

Convention Center Moving Ahead with Expansion Plans
    March 5, 2015 7:00 am – Brent Warren

The Downtown Commission last week approved plans by the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority to add over 40,000 square feet of meeting and exhibition space to the northern end of the Greater Columbus Convention Center.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/convention-center-moving-ahead-with-expansion-plans-bw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Only a week later… going up fast!

welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

I’m sure people will still complain “there’s no parking in the Short North!” ;)

WJT
    Participant

So am I correct in seeing that the garage is only going to cover the eastern half of the parking garage, from where the parking lot entrance was over east to near the freeway ramp? It does not look like there is any construction on the strip west of that entrance off Goodale.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

So am I correct in seeing that the garage is only going to cover the eastern half of the parking garage, from where the parking lot entrance was over east to near the freeway ramp? It does not look like there is any construction on the strip west of that entrance off Goodale.

They purposely left a spot open for a future development

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

They purposely left a spot open for a future development

The link was a few pages back and if you look at some of the renderings that have floated out there, that section is usually filled with a mixed use if I remember correctly. Since several of the proposals had similar ideas about that particular spot, my guess is they weren’t able to feasibly bring the garage all the way over for space or architectural reasons.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/12/short-north-parking-garage-may-get.html

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE