Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Convention Center Parking Garage Proposed Along E Goodale

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Convention Center Parking Garage Proposed Along E Goodale

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Don’t see any problem with this being a parking garage. I also see nothing wrong with a skywalk from this location; this coming from someone who doesn’t like skywalks. (I understand why they are needed, so…..) As for the retail component, I do think a spot could be successful on the SW corner. It wouldn’t be too far off of High and would still be highly visible. Most people coming from the garage, unless going to the CC, would have to pass by it. I would really like to see some green walls to cloak it. Be creative with this one. Parking garages do not have to serve only one purpose.

As anyone heard any rumblings about the field house?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:
    As anyone heard any rumblings about the field house?

You mean other than what was in today’s Biz First article linked up top?

heresthecasey
    Participant

IMO, anything built on that lot should add something more to the area than just a higher density of cars.

Whether it’s through including ground floor retail/commercial space, public art, or maybe configured with residential or lofts above, I think there are a lot of options (with plenty of architectural precedents already out there) on how to get this right. A standard, single-use parking garage would be a significant missed opportunity for this location.

MHJ
    Participant

So….this new parking garage might have some commercial slots near the Cap after all. The answer to CU’s dreams!

Short North parking garage may get more than just parking

Now about that twist: Jennison said the project could get some commercial uses on the section closest to the Cap at Union Station on High Street bridging over Interstate 670.
    “We may want to fold some mixed-use development in that corner,” he said.

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

I’d rather see a streetcar that takes people to and from the ridiculous number of parking garages that are already in the area and that sit largely empty on evenings and weekends.

lattethunder
    Participant

UrbanPlanner2112 said:
    I’d rather see a streetcar that takes people to and from the ridiculous number of parking garages that are already in the area and that sit largely empty on evenings and weekends.

Convention centers aren’t about gathering places for city residents, they’re to bring people in from out of town (through conventions). It makes no sense for the convention center to focus on random empty parking lots downtown. Convention goers are going to try to stay as close to the convention center as possible, so having parking near the center makes sense.

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

lattethunder said:
    Convention centers aren’t about gathering places for city residents, they’re to bring people in from out of town (through conventions). It makes no sense for the convention center to focus on random empty parking lots downtown. Convention goers are going to try to stay as close to the convention center as possible, so having parking near the center makes sense.

Nationwide Garage is not that far from the Convention Center. I’ve been to Indianapolis Convention Center and had to walk farther to parking than the Nationwide garage is from ours. For $20 million they could probably build a streetcar from Nationwide Garage to Buttles, right past the convention center.

geoyui
    Participant

UrbanPlanner2112 said:

I think the COTA circulator will help fill some of those needs you mentioned.

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I think the COTA circulator will help fill some of those needs you mentioned.

In theory maybe but not in practice. COTA tried a circulator before. People don’t undertstand them and don’t use them. People thought the old circulator was some kind of commercial tour bus and used to ask where the place to get tickets was.

OTOH when people look down and see tracks in the street they instinctively know that something goes down these tracks, and stops at the stations and goes exactly where these tracks go and no place else and is probably for the general public to use at will.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

For the biggest of conventions (ahem… Arnold) there are free shuttle buses that run from hotels to garages to convention center.

InnerCore
    Participant

UrbanPlanner2112 said:
    In theory maybe but not in practice. COTA tried a circulator before. People don’t undertstand them and don’t use them. People thought the old circulator was some kind of commercial tour bus and used to ask where the place to get tickets was.

OTOH when people look down and see tracks in the street they instinctively know that something goes down these tracks, and stops at the stations and goes exactly where these tracks go and no place else and is probably for the general public to use at will.

While I’m a huge proponent for rail I’ve lived in 2 cities now where they’ve successfully had circulators. I think part of it had to do with the fact that the circulators were very well labeled, had a completely different look from the bus system and ran on a clearly defined loop.

Besides which the over/under for rail downtown is probably at least a decade so why would you not want viable options in the meantime.

I’m not against the garage as long as it comes out mixed use like reported.

RedStorm
    Participant

Without even looking at a map, I can think of half a dozen garages within a 5 minute walk of the Convention Center. Seems a bit like over-kill, but I do agree something needs to be done with the area in quesiton.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

HAY GUYS!

Go back to the original article on page one. The new garage isn’t just about creating more parking spaces in the short term. It’s about the eventual removal of the 1000+ space parking lot to the east of the Convention Center for future expansion:

Jennison told me the authority wants the garage in place before it contemplates any further expansion of the convention center. The garage would replace a 198-slot surface parking lot the authority controls between Goodale Street and Interstate 670 on the east side of North High Street, while expansion plans have centered on 6½ acres east of the convention center, where it has 1,100 slots.

Which could look something like this:

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #9 – Field House

InnerCore
    Participant

RedStorm said:
    Without even looking at a map, I can think of half a dozen garages within a 5 minute walk of the Convention Center. Seems a bit like over-kill, but I do agree something needs to be done with the area in quesiton.

They plan to eventually get rid of the 1,100 parking lot. I’d much rather a mixed use garage on this lot and a functional space on the 1,100 lot instead of two parking lots.

ETA: This also helps with SN. The odds of getting a 786 space parking garage this close to SN anywhere else are pretty slim.

RedStorm
    Participant

There’s a 900 space garage at Vine and Front/Park, but I assume you mean a new garage.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE