Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Convention Center Parking Garage Proposed Along E Goodale

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Convention Center Parking Garage Proposed Along E Goodale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

This could really help out with the parking situation for the southern end of the Short North – 786 spots is a significant amount. If I remember correctly, the Hubbard has 250 spots and the Joseph is in the 300’s.

Convention center considering new parking garage to enable expansion and aid Short North

Brian R. Ball

Staff reporter- Business First

The Short North may get access to more parking under a plan to put a 786-slot garage on the site of a surface lot next to the Greater Columbus Convention Center.

The Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority has asked architects and engineers to submit qualifications to design the garage, estimated to cost between $16 million and $20 million, Executive Director Bill Jennison told me.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/09/16/convention-center-considering-new.html

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Much needed and a good place for it to boot.

geoyui
    Participant

2 questions:

1. is that a skywalk extending from the garage?
    2. what kind of expansion are they thinking of for the convention center?

futureman
    Participant

geoyui said:
    2 questions:

2. what kind of expansion are they thinking of for the convention center?

I believe the expansion is a field house on the existing 1,100 slot surface lot along nationwide. Yes, I believe that’s a skywalk going from the garage to the convention center. But, I didn’t see in the article any mention of a skywalk.

Wasn’t this spot slated as a possible location for a 3rd large convention class hotel?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman said:
    I believe the expansion is a field house on the existing 1,100 slot surface lot along nationwide.

Yeah, it’s a great plan, but would displace a lot of Convention Center parking without replacing it with something else…

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #9 – Field House

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:

Looks like it. Not surprising.

Looks like it would connect where there is currently a second floor balcony in the middle of this streetview photo:

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

This would be a perfect location for some first floor retail/restaurant space. Especially with the rents that some spaces in the Short North command. Some fast/cas places would surly succeed.

jbcmh81
    Participant

There are about 312 surface lots and 27 garages within a mile of this location, not counting anything in the Short North or Scioto Peninsula. I’m going to be contrarian and say the area doesn’t need more parking. You could run a shuttle from any number of existing garages/lots throughout the Downtown/AD and use that lot for mixed-use development.

And can we move away from 1980s skywalks once and for all? The one over High, while not the worst looking, still serves an outdated purpose.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Convention centers really like skywalks because people at trade shows don’t like to be dirty or their product and sales literature all wet when they’re trying to sell stuff. I don’t like skywalks in other situations, but knowing what I do about the convention and trade show industry dealing with poor weather can be a real buzzkill. Especially with all that cosplay that goes on at ’em now. Somebody who put 100 hours into his Optimus Prime outfit doesn’t want it ruined by having to walk a rainstorm.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joshlapp said:
    This would be a perfect location for some first floor retail/restaurant space.

It would be nice to have more retail, but I don’t know if I’d call it “a perfect location”. Store fronts would be facing mostly the big blank backside of the Convention Center… loading doors and emergency exits. The stroll down Goodale leads to highway access roads, the Summit/Third overpass, and dead-ends into a very busy 45-mph stretch of Fourth at Smith Bros with not much to do (currently) in either direction.

I can think of other places I’d consider more “perfect” for new retail than that. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GCrites80s said:
    Somebody who put 100 hours into his Optimus Prime outfit doesn’t want it ruined by having to walk a rainstorm.

I *hope* he wasn’t driving his car in that thing! Otherwise, why would he be wearing it from the parking garage to the Convention Center? ;)

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    And can we move away from 1980s skywalks once and for all? The one over High, while not the worst looking, still serves an outdated purpose.

Too bad they couldn’t just run them as tunnels under High Street. The people who like and prefer them don’t give a damn about contributing to street life anyway.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Walker said:
    I *hope* he wasn’t driving his car in that thing! Otherwise, why would he be wearing it from the parking garage to the Convention Center? ;)

Duh, he transformed! I think it’s more of a matter of carrying it from the car to the building. I’m also talking about going from the hotel to the building, which already has a skywalk.

But how much street life would be generated from people walking directly from an off-to-the side parking garage 50 feet across a minor side street into the building anyway?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NEOBuckeye said:
    Too bad they couldn’t just run them as tunnels under High Street. The people who like and prefer them don’t give a damn about contributing to street life anyway.

That’s not true at all. Conventioneers still eat, drink and shop while here. A lot.

GCrites80s
    Participant

protip: call them “attendees” rather than conventioneers. Unless they’re selling stuff, then they’re “exhibitors”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE