Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Central Ohio Congressional Seat

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics New Central Ohio Congressional Seat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

Looks like Central Ohio is going to be represented by a D with the second most liberal district in the state. Who would be the best for the job? Not who do you think will win or run – but who would be the best for our city?

15cgremapjpg-d6115342bac369a4.jpg

Mercurius
    Participant

Jennifer Brunner?

David Wilhelm?

Matt Habash?

Maryellen O’Shaughnessy?

Ted Strickland?

John Haseley?

Mayor Coleman?

I pretty much fall into the ‘anyone but Ray Miller or Kilroy Camp.’

Mercurius
    Participant

If Cordray’s nomination to head the Consumers Council is blocked, he would be great too!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    Jennifer Brunner?

David Wilhelm?

Matt Habash?

Maryellen O’Shaughnessy?

Ted Strickland?

John Haseley?

Mayor Coleman?

I pretty much fall into the ‘anyone but Ray Miller or Kilroy Camp.’

Of that list, I’m liking Strickland.

Mercurius
    Participant
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    Better Map:
    http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2011/09/ohios_new_congressional_distri.html

Wow. Those boundaries are… different.

BCNation
    Participant

According to the Map:
    Stivers keeps UA, Marble Cliff, Hilliard, Grove City, Downtown Columbus, parts of Franklinton, Union & Madison Counties, and picks up Pickerington, Zanesville, Athens, Canal Winchester, and Logan, among places

Tiberi loses Bexley, Near East Side, and Reynoldsburg (or the Franklin Co. part of it); keeps Gahanna, Westerville, Dublin, New Albany, Delaware County, picks up Richland, Morrow, and remainder of Licking County

“New Liberal” District: Worthington, Grandview, Reynoldsburg, Bexley, Whitehall, parts of the West Side, South Side, Franklinton, and Southeast Sides, North Side, OSU, Clintonville

Looks like I’ll be getting a new congressman, unless I move to Dublin, Gahanna, Ne(wa)rk, Westerville, Delaware, Mt. Gilead, Mansfield, or Granville in the next 12 months.

News
    Participant

Former Central Ohio U.S. Representative To Run Again
    September 15, 2011
    by Mandie Trimble
    89.7 NPR News Reporter

Former U.S. Representative Mary Jo Kilroy announced she will make another bid for Congress as the new congressional districts have been proposed.

After only one term in Congress, Democrat Mary Jo Kilroy lost her seat to Republican Steve Stivers. But now that republicans have redrawn the state’s congressional district map, Kilroy said she’ll run again. The proposed district in Franklin County is heavy with registered democratic voters which could give Kilroy an advantage at the polls.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2011/09/15/former-central-ohio-u-s-congresswoman-to-run-again/

heresthecasey
    Participant

News said:
    Former Central Ohio U.S. Representative To Run Again
    September 15, 2011
    by Mandie Trimble
    89.7 NPR News Reporter

Former U.S. Representative Mary Jo Kilroy announced she will make another bid for Congress as the new congressional districts have been proposed.

After only one term in Congress, Democrat Mary Jo Kilroy lost her seat to Republican Steve Stivers. But now that republicans have redrawn the state’s congressional district map, Kilroy said she’ll run again. The proposed district in Franklin County is heavy with registered democratic voters which could give Kilroy an advantage at the polls.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2011/09/15/former-central-ohio-u-s-congresswoman-to-run-again/

Blechh. Grreeeeaat.

rus
    rus
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/insight/2011/09/18/a-stronger-hand.html

WASHINGTON — Central Ohio might emerge as one of the few winners in a congressional redistricting process that has caused howls of protest elsewhere in the state.

While the rest of Ohio gained a scant 1.6 percent in population between 2000 and 2010, Columbus boomed: Franklin County saw an 8.8 percent population increase during the past decade.

That’s reflected in the map. While the state loses two seats overall because of slow population growth, central Ohio would gain one new lawmaker, most likely a Democrat, after the 2012 elections.

KSquared

I hate that there seems to be no viable option for a third party candidate to get this seat, or any other.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

The Dems could do much better than Kilroy.

Mercurius
    Participant

KSquared said:
    I hate that there seems to be no viable option for a third party candidate to get this seat, or any other.

There isn’t really even a viable option for a second party candidate to get this seat; the primary is the election. Neither Tavares or Kilroy (the two leading candidates for the new seat) really seem like leaders, innovators or even policy wonks to me. I want someone to represent me that is going to eventually go after leadership positions and can make a difference, not another Pat Tiberi – whose largest accomplishment to date in Congress is recognizing the Ohio Pooch Parade.

Mercurius
    Participant

News
    Participant

Longtime Congresswoman Pryce Won’t Run For New Seat
    September 22, 2011
    by Steve Brown
    89.7 NPR News Morning Anchor

Long-time central Ohio Congresswoman Deborah Pryce says she will NOT run for a new Congressional district in Franklin County.

“Oh no,” Pryce says, laughing. “I’ve sworn it off.”

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2011/09/22/longtime-congresswoman-pryce-wont-run-for-new-seat/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE