Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Westies Gastropub - New Brew Pub on the South End of The Brewery District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Westies Gastropub – New Brew Pub on the South End of The Brewery District

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  News 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

MHJ
    Participant

My understanding is that there is a new brew pub coming to the Brewery District, on the corner of South Front and Frederick. A former tombstone company is being renovated into a new brew pub.

Does anyone have any more details/inside knowledge about this? Some of the neighbors seemed to have been concerned about parking, but they will have valet parking in the radio station parking lot. I see that the operator is someone named Khaled Ballouz and the owner of the building is Kipling Investments LLC.

I think this is very good news for the Brewery District. We need more food options on the southern edge of the Brewery District.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’ve heard a little about a restaurant/bar space going in there, but details are pretty scarse right now.

Fun Fact: Anne used to rent an apartment directly across Frederick from this location. ;)

MHJ
    Participant

They’ve started demolition work on the location and it appears to be moving forward. Time to get a CU reporter on this story to get all the details!

MHJ
    Participant

The 3D Group is designing the space. Perhaps they have some details.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’ve been trying to get details out of the 3D Group for months. Apparently they don’t want anyone to know what’s going on. :P

MHJ
    Participant

Walker said:
    We’ve been trying to get details out of the 3D Group for months. Apparently they don’t want anyone to know what’s going on. :P

Thanks for the update Walker! I guess we’ll see when it opens.

MHJ
    Participant

It looks like this should be opening in the next couple months.

Josh Rice
    Participant

They posted an ad in the Alive yesterday. It’s going to be called Westies Gastropub. They are hiring for all FOH and BOH positions except for bartenders. They are asking prospective employees to apply in person. I found a picture of the owner and his wife on Facebook. He looks familiar. Does anyone know his story? Any ideas on why they are not actively seeking bartenders?

MHJ
    Participant

Here is a quick picture I took yesterday.

From googling, I see that Brooklyn Brewery is a brewer in, you guessed it, Brooklyn, while Rogue Nation is a brewer based in Oregon.

I can’t seem to find ANYTHING online about the place, though. I don’t understand why they’re being so tight-lipped about this restaurant.

DouginCMH
    Participant

What’s the reasoning behind the theory that this place will be a brewpub? It would be pretty tough to keep a brewery launch this quiet, if it were anywhere close to launching, that is. Breweries need equipment, federal permits, etc. Plus, brewers just love to talk about their beer. Seems like more of a beer-friendly food place, than a brewpub. Just speculating, of course.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MHJ said:
    I can’t seem to find ANYTHING online about the place, though. I don’t understand why they’re being so tight-lipped about this restaurant.

+1

We’ve been *trying* to get details for months and months and no one wants to talk about it. Weird.

News
    Participant

Westies Gastropub Coming Soon to The Brewery District
    Published on December 28, 2013 12:50 pm
    By: Ayana Wilson

That restaurant now has a name: Westies Gastropub. It’s 5,300 square feet, with multiple rooms and bars. It’s not the run-of-the-mill type of gastropub however, its focus healthily split into creating a place that serves really good food and drink, as well as one where sports fans of every kind can come in to enjoy the game.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/westies-gastropub-coming-soon-to-the-brewery-district-aw1

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

5300 square feet sounds kind of ginormous for a neighborhood that isn’t kind on new joints…but hope it does well.

News
    Participant

First Look: Westies Gastropub
    Published on January 11, 2014 6:00 pm
    By: Ayana Wilson

After months of construction, Westies Gastropub, located at 940 South Front Street, is finally ready to welcome eager guests. The 5,300 square feet restaurant and sports bar features two distinct spaces — a main dining room and a lounge, both with fully stocked bars — as well as an outdoor patio, ready for use in the Spring.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-westies-gastropub-aw1

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

A friend of mine is working here, and we got to check out a preview night on Saturday. I have to say that I was pretty pleased. The place does have a lot of square footage, but it’s split into basically two restaurants almost. The front space has a large bar, tables, and some nice high back booths. The back room (where we sat) also has a bar, a fireplace in the center of the room, and a mix of high tables and lower lounge type seating.
    We decided to sit at the bar since that’s where we like to sit in most restaurants. The bar staff was super nice and seemed well-trained. They had 24 taps…all quality craft beer stuff. Drafts were $6 and bottles seemed to range from $4-6 ish. (Didn’t look super long at the bottle list, so there could be some higher) Cocktails were $7-8. I had a few beers and tried their version of a Manhattan (to note…they will make you a regular Manhattan, but I wanted to try their “signature”) which uses bacon infused Woodford. I was a bit skeevy on it, but the bartender assured me if I wasn’t into it, he’d make me something else. It was damn tasty. There was no distinct bacon taste, but it was really nicely smoky. I dug it. They also make a bourbon bloody mary that is possibly my fave bloody I’ve ever had.
    The preview menu was filled with pretty good stuff. Everything I saw walking by looked great. We had crab cakes…tasty with actual giant lumps of crab in it which is rare in these parts it seems. But they were served with these potato cakes that were ridic good pucks of shredded potatoes…kind of like a giant super crunchy hash brown puck. I would’ve eaten like 70 of them. Salad “course” was tasty too. They had a good wedge salad. I’m a sucker for a wedge salad. They boyfriend had a maytag bleu cheese burger. I’m a burger snob, and it was perfect. It was exactly med-rare, great brioche bun, onion jam, big globs of bleu cheese, house made bread and butter pickles…nom. I had a crab stuffed salmon which isn’t something I’d usually order, but I was in a salmon mood and wanted to see how they’d do. They knocked it out of the park. It was super moist and cooked perfectly.
    I’m totally rambling. But it was good stuff. I’ll definitely go back. They also had some al pastor nachos that we didn’t order because they looked massive. But they looked awesome. They also had a nice charcuterie plate and a tasty looking cheese plate and a whole mess of other whatnots.
    Oh…and if you are into watching the sportsball games, it’ll be a good spot. There are BIG tvs behind the bar, but somehow with the setup of the space, I wasn’t overwhelmed by them.
    I’ve written a damn novel now. You’d think I never get out of the house and go eat or something. Derp derp. There it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Celebrate The New Year in Three Ways with CU!

Get your tickets online before these events sell out!