Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Bodega

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining New Bodega

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

jdubilla
    Participant

I went to the soft opening of Bodega last night. Very interesting transformation. I won’t ruin any of the details but the layout is much different. The food menu has been simplified. Basically your options consist of a fried fish or fried/grilled chicken sandwich or platter. It’s a little disappointing that they don’t even have a hummus platter for vegetarians. The food delivery system is similar to Northstar and in my opinion that just won’t work in that space. I really hope they implement a system similar to the bodega area in Casa Nueva (order food and when it’s ready your number lights up on a board. You then pick the food up yourself).

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I went to the soft opening of Bodega last night. Very interesting transformation. I won’t ruin any of the details but the layout is much different. The food menu has been simplified. Basically your options consist of a fried fish or fried/grilled chicken sandwich or platter. It’s a little disappointing that they don’t even have a hummus platter for vegetarians. The food delivery system is similar to Northstar and in my opinion that just won’t work in that space. I really hope they implement a system similar to the bodega area in Casa Nueva (order food and when it’s ready your number lights up on a board. You then pick the food up yourself).

I don’t think it’s a surprise sort of thing so feel free to ruin away. Spoiler Alert

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Is it possible that the menu was limited for the soft opening? I really can’t imagine they wouldn’t offer vegetarian options anymore…

News
    Participant

First Look: Bodega Columbus Relaunch
    May 12, 2014 2:26 pm – Ayana Wilson

It has seemed an interminable wait, but finally, the doors to Bodega Columbus, located at 1044 North High Street, are once again open. It’s got a new look, new menu, but same great attitude and people.

The new layout at Bodega allows customers to order their food at a window before sitting, thereby expediting the wait time between order and food delivery. The bar has also been extended, so now there are more spot to belly up to enjoy one of the city’s best lineup of beers.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-bodega-columbus-relaunch-aw1

bobcatz
    bobcatz
    Participant

Checked out the new Bodega this evening. Let me preface this by saying I loved the old Bodega. I live a couple doors down, and found myself there at least two or three times a month.

The layout is much different now, as you can tell from the pictures. Instead of table service, there’s a window you order from. The menu is much smaller than the old one. It had a couple of salad options and then the option of either chicken or fish. There were a couple sides on the menu, as well.

I got a fried chicken sandwich. It was $10 for the sandwich alone. I added a side of mac and cheese for $5, which came in a very small cup. Overall, the food was good, but nothing too special. I found it to be overpriced.

While I thought old Bodega’s menu was unique, the new menu is comparable to many other gastropubs such as Pint House or Westies, although much smaller. I can’t imagine myself eating at new Bodega again.

I don’t mind ordering from the window, just wish they would have kept some of the old favorites on the menu.

With that being said, they still have a great selection of beers and a great happy hour!

In short, I miss the old Bodega.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve not been inside yet (will let it die down first) but the order-at-the-window inside a beer-centric bar sounds a lot like the system at Founders Brewing in Grand Rapids. I was up there on a trip last fall and they had a similar setup. Though that place is crazy huge.

http://foundersbrewing.com/deli-menu/

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’ve not been inside yet (will let it die down first) but the order-at-the-window inside a beer-centric bar sounds a lot like the system at Founders Brewing in Grand Rapids. I was up there on a trip last fall and they had a similar setup. Though that place is crazy huge.

http://foundersbrewing.com/deli-menu/

road my bike past last night and it looked busy, but not over flowing. Was the beer list pretty much the same?

Oh and I had table service at founders (they do it both ways :) )

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ah. Perhaps they do it differently depending upon the night of the week or something? They did table service for beer for us, but we had to order and pay at the little window. It was pretty busy that night though.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

Ah. Perhaps they do it differently depending upon the night of the week or something? They did table service for beer for us, but we had to order and pay at the little window. It was pretty busy that night though.

I have a feeling that place is always busy. I’ve been 3 times now and it was packed all 3. One was for a event though. Awesome place for sure.

/derail off.

Mercurius
    Participant

I believe Chef Marcus Meachum is the going to be the executive chef at Kraft House No. 5 in Powell. I’m not sure what his relationship with Bodega is now?

He is one of the leading chefs in the region and I credit him with the creative fare that Bodega previously offered. I thought he was making some of the best food in Cbus at rather great prices but I rarely ate there because it was too crowded to get a table. That said, I often went to Bodega for great beer.

scottth1
    Participant

Is the happy hour still the same?????????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

groundrules
    Participant

but same great attitude and people.

other references indicate this is not entirely true, at least with regards to the ‘people’ part.

News
    Participant

Restaurant review: Renovated Bodega is built for fun, not comfort
    By G.A. Benton
    From the July 17, 2014 edition

Inspired by a month of I-miss-it-already World Cup soccer, when presented with my bill at Bodega, I flopped. It didn’t work. So after “coming to,” I coughed up 19 bucks for my smoked-then-fried chicken dinner — which, considering it fed three, was actually a bargain. Welcome to the new, even-hipper Bodega.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2014/07/17/restaurant-review-renovated-bodega-is-built-for-fun-not-comfort.html

News
    Participant

Grilled Cheese Mondays Return to Bodega
    September 11, 2014 1:41 pm – Walker Evans

You asked for it. You got it. Bodega is bringing back Grilled Cheese Monday. The deal will be set up the same as it was prior to the Bodega revamp earlier this year, with grilled cheese sandwiches on sale for a mere dollar, and the ever-popular happy hour deal running for half-off all drafts and three dollar Watershed Gin & Vodka drinks from 4pm to 8pm.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/grilled-cheese-mondays-return-to-bodega

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

So sold to new owner right?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!