Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New, affordable apartments headed to Neighborhood Launch's neighborhood?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New, affordable apartments headed to Neighborhood Launch's neighborhood?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

InnerCore
    Participant

dru said:
    nothing against this development, but
    “You would have to make over $50,000 dollars a year to live in one of the new builds downtown!”

Fits squarely with the census data:
    Franklin County: Median household income, 2007-2011 $50,045
    http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/39/39049.html

How so, that’s the median. In other words half make more and half make less. So basically only the top half of people can afford to live downtown. That doesn’t sound like a community to me.

This wouldn’t be as big of an issue had we not destroyed so many of the downtown buildings. It would be one thing if the brand new renovated or new buildings were for the higher income people while middle and lower income folks lived in the older unrenovated ones. But we don’t have any of those.

You could make $35k and still have no options to live downtown. At least not any reasonably close to an area where anyone wants to live.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Downtown will only gain from this type of development. We either have very high end dwellings or very low end/halfway housing downtown for the most part. A few surface lots filled with affordable housing for people who actually work will be great for downtown!

InnerCore
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    Downtown will only gain from this type of development. We either have very high end dwellings or very low end/halfway housing downtown for the most part. A few surface lots filled with affordable housing for people who actually work will be great for downtown!

Exactly. What we’ve seen is that as the first wave of luxury units are filled with high income and second unit vacation owners (although I don’t know if we’ll have much of that here). So the high income people you get do it because they love the convenience of the location. In many cases they don’t even work nearby and need a lot of parking and can afford to pay for it. To them its about shortening their drive, not eliminating it. So they might work a few miles away but their still going to drive. After work they want to go to SN but again, their still going to drive. They’ll brag about how walkable the neighborhood is to their friends but they’re really only going to walk to something a couple times a month to an upscale restaurant for example.

Then the working class people come in and help to create a more active street scene. They work downtown and are looking for an affordable unit so they can at least get rid of one their cars to save money instead of living out in the burbs where there is cheap housing and driving in. They’re walking back an forth to work everyday. To go to SN they’re walking to the bus stop and taking a 5 min bus ride because again they got rid of one or both of their cars to save money. They’re not going to pay extra to have their dry cleaning delivered so that another stop to make on the walk home creating demand for more local business. They eat out less so they’re walking to the grocery store more. And when they do eat out its at lower price point restaurants creating again more demand for different business.

Both these groups play an important role to a great urban vibrant neighborhood. As downtown grows I’m sure we’ll have plenty of ability to push out “those” people. But right now it’s pretty empty so lets at least build it up first.

dru
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    How so, that’s the median. In other words half make more and half make less. So basically only the top half of people can afford to live downtown. That doesn’t sound like a community to me.

This wouldn’t be as big of an issue had we not destroyed so many of the downtown buildings. It would be one thing if the brand new renovated or new buildings were for the higher income people while middle and lower income folks lived in the older unrenovated ones. But we don’t have any of those.

You could make $35k and still have no options to live downtown. At least not any reasonably close to an area where anyone wants to live.

i wouldn’t necessarily count the top 1/2 as “the wealthy.”
    there’s nothing wrong with there being income diversity and there is nothing wrong with this project – aka “nothing against this development.” but there is a large gulf between other developments being personally unaffordable versus everything being only for the wealthy.

InnerCore
    Participant

dru said:
    i wouldn’t necessarily count the top 1/2 as “the wealthy.”
    there’s nothing wrong with there being income diversity and there is nothing wrong with this project – aka “nothing against this development.” but there is a large gulf between other developments being personally unaffordable versus everything being only for the wealthy.

Wealthy is pretty subjective. I fall in the top half making considerably more than the median but definitely wouldn’t consider myself wealthy. I took his point to mean that downtown is unafforable to most.

Also, remember that the $50k is the median household income. So in reality the number of people able to afford to live downtown is probably less than half. I’m sure there are plenty of households making $50k that have a family of 2, 3 or 4 and would need at least a 2 bedroom. And $50k isn’t enough to afford a 2/2 or larger downtown.

So whether you want to label them as wealthy or not Downtown is personally unaffordable to most.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: