Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New, affordable apartments headed to Neighborhood Launch's neighborhood?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New, affordable apartments headed to Neighborhood Launch's neighborhood?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

downtown-low-income-housing-art-gelq5pff-11218gfx-downtown-low-income-map-eps.jpgVia the Dispatch:

Quote:
    The Columbus Housing Partnership, doing business as Homeport, wants to build a five-story, 50-unit building at one of two sites along E. Long Street that are parking lots.

Rents would be up to $650 for one-bedroom apartments and up to $795 for two-bedroom units.

It’s hard to find new flats Downtown for less than $900 a month, said Rob Vogt, a principal with the Columbus apartment-research and -consulting firm Vogt Santer Insights. “There’s a real void for new affordable choices,” Vogt said. “If we are going to create a more-vibrant Downtown, we need to provide choices for all households, not just the high, high end.”

surber17
    Participant

Interesting that $650 per month is considered low income, but I do believe that is a fair price for a 1 bedroom on that area. That said, I don’t know if Edwards should sell. They are creating amazing product right now and I’d like to see them keep control of what’s being put in.

futureman
    Participant

$650 for a 1 bedroom or $795 for a 2 bedroom doesn’t seem like a low income range. More of a lower/mid grade price and comparable to apartments in the 5XNW area … to be far those are old and often outdated though.

Still would prefer to see Edwards stick to the original plan. I absolutely love the new building going up and would prefer to see two more of these be built.

InnerCore
    Participant

This would really be great for downtown and help for it to really fill in faster and more evenly.

I think this also shows that most people simply don’t understand affordable housing and why more discussion needs to be had. When people hear affordable housing they immediately think of things like section 8 or housing projects.

In Columbus the Area Median Income (AMI) is $67,900. Under HUD the affordable income limits fall into 3 categories (Low, Very- Low, Extremely Low). Projects can get varying amounts of money depending on what percentage of the project is restrict to what categories.

But for the low income category as a single person household you would qualify with an income of $38,050 or less. If you had a family of 4 you would qualify at $54,300 a year. And for the very-low a single person would qualify at $23,800 and a family of 4 at $34,000.

Now part of the confusion is that the affordable developer is going to shoot for a tax credit amount that allows him to still charge the most in rent. So let’s say your in a bad area where rents are already low, then the developer is going to go after the most tax credits in the extremely low category. After all no one making $26k is going to move to a bad neighborhood to rent a tax credit unit for $400 when the market rate units in the area are already that amount or lower. But in an area like downtown where rents are $1000 the developer can get a smaller amount of tax credits that allows them to still charge the $650 and $795. So if you’re making $26k ($12.50 an hour) then now you would be able to afford to live downtown.

So instead of the person making $12.50 who works downtown having to live in the suburbs for decent housing and then either driving or busing in, they can now live downtown as well. More people walking the streets, more demand for grocery stores, etc. It just helps to build a more well rounded downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman said:
    $650 for a 1 bedroom or $795 for a 2 bedroom doesn’t seem like a low income range.

For a new build in the center of Downtown it does.

Hmm… I really don’t like this at all. I appreciate the need for filling in surface lots and affordable downtown housing. But if it’s affordable, then why does it have to be smack dab in the middle of a luxury development? Doesn’t affordable mean that the renter will realize they have to make small sacrifices on location? I just feel like this completely changes the dynamic of NL. Namely, that it seems like a price range that would draw a lot of kids straight out of college. A great thing for downtown, but not necessarily for that specific area.

Aren’t there are a million and a half lots around Spring St. or in that area that will accomplish the same thing and not change the original Neighborhood Launch plan.

RellekOTE
    Participant

Oh, heaven FORBID if two different classes of people live in the SAME neighborhood… What’s next? People of different color or sexual orientation sharing the same hood? (Obviously sarcasm). What a ridiculous thing to say, @Columbus_jy.

I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. This is a pretty desolate part of downtown, so any development that increases the population (and includes people that are ‘straight out of college’ [again, heaven FORBID]) gets my vote, IMO.

futureman
    Participant

So what would someone need to do to qualify for this low-income/affordable housing? Just make less than 38K a year? Would students be allowed to live there, or does the person need a full time job?

InnerCore
    Participant

columbus_jy said:
    Hmm… I really don’t like this at all. I appreciate the need for filling in surface lots and affordable downtown housing. But if it’s affordable, then why does it have to be smack dab in the middle of a luxury development? Doesn’t affordable mean that the renter will realize they have to make small sacrifices on location? I just feel like this completely changes the dynamic of NL. Namely, that it seems like a price range that would draw a lot of kids straight out of college. A great thing for downtown, but not necessarily for that specific area.

Aren’t there are a million and a half lots around Spring St. or in that area that will accomplish the same thing and not change the original Neighborhood Launch plan.

You could have a single mother of 2 working downtown making $37k a year.

The product would look the same as the rest of the neighborhood. The only difference being the person living inside the unit makes less money.

RellekOTE said:
    Oh, heaven FORBID if two different classes of people live in the SAME neighborhood… What’s next? People of different color or sexual orientation sharing the same hood? (Obviously sarcasm). What a ridiculous thing to say, @Columbus_jy.

I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. This is a pretty desolate part of downtown, so any development that increases the population (and includes people that are ‘straight out of college’ [again, heaven FORBID]) gets my vote, IMO.

The lots there definitely need to be in-filled, so glad to see that. Neighborhood Launch will need to sell in some 250 apartments, more townhouses, and there are now owners in that area trying to sell places with the hope of property value going up. If new development doesn’t hurt ability to do that, then I’m for it. Again, I think it’s a good idea, I just can’t think of lots of reasons why it waters down what NL is trying to do.

If it hurts NL marketability (again… assuming it does), then why not just do this a few blocks down toward Spring, where there is the same surface lot problem and a proposed development that seems to match a little more with what CHP wants to do?

InnerCore
    Participant

futureman said:
    So what would someone need to do to qualify for this low-income/affordable housing? Just make less than 38K a year? Would students be allowed to live there, or does the person need a full time job?

It operates like any other apartment building where you have to qualify. As you can imagine a lot of people are going to want to rent a new 2 bedroom downtown for $795. So they’re going to have a lot of people to choose between and their renting standards are going to be high. So taking that $795 unit they’re only going to rent to someone who can afford it which is usually around 30% of gross income. (795*12/30% = $31,800). So they would probably only rent that unit to someone who makes more than that but less than the max income depending on family size.

So if you walked in as a student working a part-time job you would meet the requirement for making less than the max but you wouldn’t meet the requirement as a qualified renter.

Most people confuse this with things like section 8 where as long as you make less than a certain amount you qualify no matter what and then only pay a portion of what you make.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbus_jy said:
    …then why not just do this a few blocks down toward Spring, where there is the same surface lot…

Because they don’t own or have the same deal with the owner of those surface lots.

You can’t build a shed on your next-door neighbor’s lawn just because you think it would be a good spot for it.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Wow! I cannot believe the reaction these proposed developments are getting. The fact that there are so many complaints about potentially having low to medium income folks living next to high income folks is, quite frankly, disturbing. (and this coming from a site where so many people complain about the lack of more affordable housing downtown) Heaven forbid if someone like, say me, who would have qualified for one of these units last year (if the units existed) moved in next to these high income residents. I guess it would be frowned upon if I shopped at the Hill’s Market too and not the Save-a-lot down the road. We are not building an oasis for the rich here folks. Remember when Mayor Coleman stated years ago that downtown was “everyone’s neighborhood”. Well, so far, we have been moving away from that dream with the continuous build out of “luxury” units and systematically creating a neighborhood for one type of person.

I commend Homeport for taking this challenge on and I am sure they will have no trouble filling all 100 units. In fact, they could easily fill 500 units if built. If the city council has any sense at all they will promptly endorse this proposal. I hope this becomes an ongoing trend because these units are sorely needed.

The only concern I do have, as I have with just about every other development, is what the building will look like and how it will interact with the street level. I would love to see some retail because as it is not, none of the building being built or proposed along Long St have ground floor retail, which just creates a lifeless void along a major downtown corridor.

InnerCore
    Participant

columbus_jy said:
    The lots there definitely need to be in-filled, so glad to see that. Neighborhood Launch will need to sell in some 250 apartments, more townhouses, and there are now owners in that area trying to sell places with the hope of property value going up. If new development doesn’t hurt ability to do that, then I’m for it. Again, I think it’s a good idea, I just can’t think of lots of reasons why it waters down what NL is trying to do.

How would this hurt property values? Again you wouldn’t be even able to tell the difference unless you actually walked in and tried to rent and found out you make too much money to qualify. Unless you know a lot of people who would refuse to live somewhere because the person next door can only afford $795.

columbus_jy said:If it hurts NL marketability (again… assuming it does), then why not just do this a few blocks down toward Spring, where there is the same surface lot problem and a proposed development that seems to match a little more with what CHP wants to do?

Because right now you want to try and reach a tipping point in density. NL is doing great but the area isn’t complete neighborhood yet. Let’s face it, it will be years before they fill in everything between gay and long, let alone north of long where one of these buildings is proposed.

By allowing another developer to come in and fill in some of the gaps NL can continue working on the rest of their other lots. More people walking the streets is better for everyone.

DavidF
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Wow! I cannot believe the reaction these proposed developments are getting. The fact that there are so many complaints about potentially having low to medium income folks living next to high income folks is, quite frankly, disturbing. (and this coming from a site where so many people complain about the lack of more affordable housing downtown) Heaven forbid if someone like, say me, who would have qualified for one of these units last year (if the units existed) moved in next to these high income residents. I guess it would be frowned upon if I shopped at the Hill’s Market too and not the Save-a-lot down the road. We are not building an oasis for the rich here folks. Remember when Mayor Coleman stated years ago that downtown was “everyone’s neighborhood”. Well, so far, we have been moving away from that dream with the continuous build out of “luxury” units and systematically creating a neighborhood for one type of person.

I commend Homeport for taking this challenge on and I am sure they will have no trouble filling all 100 units. In fact, they could easily fill 500 units if built. If the city council has any sense at all they will promptly endorse this proposal. I hope this becomes an ongoing trend because these units are sorely needed.

+100

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: