Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

250 High - New 12-Story Mixed-Use Building Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 250 High – New 12-Story Mixed-Use Building Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 264 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    What’s the Julian loft conversion project?

This is the former shoe factory at Main and Rich official name post renovation.

peanutnozone
    Participant

Every few months, when I come to visit family and friends in central Ohio, there is a new building (more like buildings). So much joy for Columbus! This building is totally in the right direction density and archtecture-wise for this part of downtown.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I want to see the eyesore that is the Capital South parking garage go away now. It’s taking up a city block of prime real estate adjacent to the Commons. It was built for a mall that no longer exists. Put in some mixed-used towers with underground parking.

columbusmike
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    I want to see the eyesore that is the Capital South parking garage go away now. It’s taking up a city block of prime real estate adjacent to the Commons. It was built for a mall that no longer exists. Put in some mixed-used towers with underground parking.

Sadly, the parking garage is probably a reason a lot of this development can happen right now. We don’t have a population of people YET that don’t have cars. Development in Columbus still demands parking — but I think this will eventually change as the city continues to grow.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

That garage is heavily used by visitors and office workers. Sadly, it’s here to stay for a while. What it does need is an exterior wrap of some sort. Maybe green walls. Maybe LED lights. Maybe sculptural screens. If nothing else, spruce up the north elevation since it faces the park and thousands of people have to look at it everyday.

wpcc88
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Highpoint has 301 units, 250 High has 156, and the Lifestyle building at Rich & High has 106 for a total of 563 units. Figure 1.5 occupants per unit and suddenly there are 845 or so people living at Rich and High. Add maybe 600 office workers in the 250 High building. Is that enough feet to stimulate retail development?

Until there is action at this proposal and the lifestyles building I would say no, right now there isn’t. Take a class on some of these kind of things and it becomes very apparent. The southhigh street corridor and Brewery District/Front Street are prime examples of why it isn’t enough until the two projects I mentioned are near completion.

InnerCore
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:

I agree. In fact this garage doesn’t take up a city block it actually takes up 6! If you look at the grid structure of downtown the city blocks are about 200 x 200 give or take. You could fit 6 city blocks on the site of the garage which is why streets like cherry dead end into it.

If you look at this project and High Point it appears that many people think building the park is what is sparking these developments which isn’t the case. Essentially what you have is the city taking land and selling it to developers at below market rate pricing. So for example what made High Point possible was the fact they they sold 2 acres of land on the main street in downtown for $2 million. Meanwhile the market rate asking price for an acre across the street is $2.85M. The two acres were likely closer to $6M.

However the city being smart realized that selling the land at below market pricing would spur development in the area in which they would recoup the discount in pricing many times over through future property tax gains.

They are doing the same at this lot.

“We won’t go into the economics on this until we have a closing,” Worley said of the sale price of the land for 250 High.

Essentially they are giving the developer the land at below market pricing and allowing the developer to connect to the garage so they don’t have to spend money building parking.

So High Point and this project are essentially subsidized housing. This is a good thing because without these subsidies we wouldn’t be able to build this type of housing in this part of downtown at these rates. As these project fill in and demand for the area increases then developers will be able to come in and build in the area without these types of subsidies.

But back to the garage again it is sitting on almost 6 city blocks. To continue to spur development they should do pretty much what the did with Columbus Commons. They could tear down most of it. Then put out an RFP and invite private developers to bid on it. As part of the RFP they could just stipulate that the developer provide parking in a more dense format. The more parking you require would mean the lower you would have to sell the land for to compensate but in the end you would end up with the same amount of parking PLUS new developments on the site that would generate more property taxes for the city.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

It would be nice to see the garage turned some part of it into some on-street retail on Rich across from the Commons…

lattethunder
    Participant

CalebR said:
    It would be nice to see the garage turned some part of it into some on-street retail on Rich across from the Commons…

It would be nice to see the retail that already exists right there on 3rd fill in! Or on High!

I’m really hoping these extra apartments spur more retail development, because there are a depressing number of empty store fronts throughout that area. There’s not much of an incetive to build only retail when even the BMV closes.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I wander if it would be feasible to tear down just half of the garage and build an adjoining mixed use building on the east side. An incentive to the developer(s) would be the offer of parking spaces for residents/office workers in the remaining portion of the garage yet there would still be plenty of parking for visitors to the park, retail, etc. Best of both worlds? Just a thought although I could not see anything like this being proposed until most of the vacant nearby spaces are developed.

Graybeak
    Participant

while it has been awhile since I have been in this garage folks are talking about, I believe it is a spiral style, so I imagine tearing down half of it would be highly ineffective.

Pablo
    Participant

CalebR said:

jpizzow said:
    I wander if it would be feasible to tear down just half of the garage and build an adjoining mixed use building on the east side. An incentive to the developer(s) would be the offer of parking spaces for residents/office workers in the remaining portion of the garage yet there would still be plenty of parking for visitors to the park, retail, etc. Best of both worlds? Just a thought although I could not see anything like this being proposed until most of the vacant nearby spaces are developed.

Parking structured are valuable downtown and a necessity (to think otherwise is a bit naive IMO) so there is a need to keep a portion of the garage. Garage revenue helped pay for the Commons after all. I’ve often wondered if it was possible to lop off a bay or two on the Rich St. side to build something similar in height and use to the proposed 250 High project. I realize that there may need to be vehicular openings in the facade to allow the garage to function.

InnerCore
    Participant

The bays in the garage run north and south with two entrances on the north and two on the south. You could get rid of the 3 of the 5 bays starting from 3rd street. That would leave you a fully functioning garage.

Then I’d run a city street between Main and Rich to restore the street grid. That would leave you about 3 acres of new land. You’d probably be losing about 1,500 parking spaces. So that’s basically about two garages like the one at Rich and Front. So partnering with a developer I’d give them the land and have them build one on this site in combination with other residential and retail and then have them build another garage somewhere on an underutilized lot somewhere else.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Parking structured are valuable downtown and a necessity (to think otherwise is a bit naive IMO) so there is a need to keep a portion of the garage. Garage revenue helped pay for the Commons after all. I’ve often wondered if it was possible to lop off a bay or two on the Rich St. side to build something similar in height and use to the proposed 250 High project. I realize that there may need to be vehicular openings in the facade to allow the garage to function.

I’m saying use the garage structure there and renovate some sections into on-street retail (which I dont even know if that is possible). Not demolish anything.

lattethunder
    Participant

CalebR said:
    I’m saying use the garage structure there and renovate some sections into on-street retail (which I dont even know if that is possible). Not demolish anything.

Fairly improbable. I doubt they have utilities, for starters. That would be a large cost to add retail to block full of failing retail space.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 264 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: