Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

250 High - New 12-Story Mixed-Use Building Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 250 High – New 12-Story Mixed-Use Building Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 264 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

I don’t think it was qualify as a skyscraper as those usually are classified that at around 300’+. This sounds like it will probably half that height. It will defiantly be visible around downtown, but won’t make it to the postcard views.

But, who cares. This building is perfect with it’s mix of retail, residential and office space.

What is the total investment at now around Columbus Commons? With this and highpoint it’s at $100 million, then you have Lifestyles 7 story building next door. All of this wouldn’t happen if City Center wasn’t demolished and replaced with a park.

Cbusflyer

Well there goes my spot for an all night diner;) Oh well on to the next spot (dreaming). Seriously this is awesome news, the question now is, what about the store fronts across the street. I am surprised they have not been snatched up and in the planning stage. Maybe the city is pushing for retail??

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

futureman said:
    I don’t think it was qualify as a skyscraper as those usually are classified that at around 300’+. This sounds like it will probably half that height. It will defiantly be visible around downtown, but won’t make it to the postcard views.

But, who cares. This building is perfect with it’s mix of retail, residential and office space.

What is the total investment at now around Columbus Commons? With this and highpoint it’s at $100 million, then you have Lifestyles 7 story building next door. All of this wouldn’t happen if City Center wasn’t demolished and replaced with a park.

Usually they [Forget they site name] use 12 stories to define a skyscraper (which might I add, has no “official” definition). Supertall is 300 meters and then Megatall or 600 meters. and sometimes since it has the potential to change the skyline (in a minimal way), I myself would define it as a skyscraper, but besides that whole debate, I still am in love with this building.

EDIT: Emporis defines a skyscraper as 100 m in architecture height.

wpcc88
    Participant

Cbusflyer said:
    Well there goes my spot for an all night diner;) Oh well on to the next spot (dreaming). Seriously this is awesome news, the question now is, what about the store fronts across the street. I am surprised they have not been snatched up and in the planning stage. Maybe the city is pushing for retail??

wait until people get there, demand will result in retail in that area.. won’t be quite like SN but more like Gay Street

Pablo
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    wait until people get there, demand will result in retail in that area.. won’t be quite like SN but more like Gay Street

Highpoint has 301 units, 250 High has 156, and the Lifestyle building at Rich & High has 106 for a total of 563 units. Figure 1.5 occupants per unit and suddenly there are 845 or so people living at Rich and High. Add maybe 600 office workers in the 250 High building. Is that enough feet to stimulate retail development?

columbusmike
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Highpoint has 301 units, 250 High has 156, and the Lifestyle building at Rich & High has 106 for a total of 563 units. Figure 1.5 occupants per unit and suddenly there are 845 or so people living at Rich and High. Add maybe 600 office workers in the 250 High building. Is that enough feet to stimulate retail development?

Yes. Not to mention the other places within a few blocks of this corner…

lattethunder
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    I could be wrong but I believe this is what was planned for that lot originally.

http://urbanohio.com/gallery/index.php?album=Central%20Ohio/Columbus/Neighborhoods/Downtown/Civic%20Center&image=Downtown55.jpg

God that is awful. Looks like a snapshot of Easton. Although, something about this current design reminds me of a 3rd world slum.

I won’t complain though, actual mixed use? Actually downtown? doesn’t look suburban (*cough* lifestyles *cough*)? Win!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

The parcel on the corner across the street next to Swan Cleaner’s is now up for sale. Wander how long that will last?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cbusflyer said:
    …the question now is, what about the store fronts across the street. I am surprised they have not been snatched up and in the planning stage. Maybe the city is pushing for retail?

I hear rumblings from time to time that the owner of that whole block of buildings is looking for a large developer interesting in razing the whole block for a large scale new development. Would be a shame to lose the buildings, though I’ve heard they’re awkwardly configured and full of asbestos. And of course, if the replacement is higher density and better use of the site, it could be an improvement.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo said:

Don’t forget the existing 214 units at The LC Annex, the recently-added offices in the renovated Lazarus Building, and however many units will go in the CASTO building at Front & Main. ;)

futureman
    Participant

lattethunder said:
    God that is awful. Looks like a snapshot of Easton.

Actually I think it looks more like the Bexley Gateway on Main that Casto built as well.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman said:
    Actually I think it looks more like the Bexley Gateway on Main that Casto built as well.

+1

http://www.bexleygateway.com/gallery.php

futureman
    Participant

Walker said:
    Don’t forget the existing 214 units at The LC Annex, the recently-added offices in the renovated Lazarus Building, and however many units will go in the CASTO building at Front & Main. ;)

Plus you more units possibly coming online with Julian loft conversion – probably another 100-200 units.

columbusmike
    Participant

futureman said:
    Plus you more units possibly coming online with Julian loft conversion – probably another 100-200 units.

What’s the Julian loft conversion project?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    What’s the Julian loft conversion project?

The CASTO building at Front and Main. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 264 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO