Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New 11-Story Office Building in The Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New 11-Story Office Building in The Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 168 total)
  • Author

ohbr
    Participant

Wonder if the rooftop restaurant was affected. Would be a shame to lose that potential just to scale back two floors.

JMan
    Participant

Uh,thanks Nancy. Why do I get the feeling that most of the people on the VV and IV commissions are a bunch of conservative, finger wagging, sock darning, church lady old ninnies?
    Pardon my French.

Nancy H
    Participant

Uh,thanks Nancy. Why do I get the feeling that most of the people on the VV and IV commissions are a bunch of conservative, finger wagging, sock darning, church lady old ninnies?<br>
    Pardon my French.

Pardon my French, but you come across as someone who doesn’t have a clue about the area.

Our commissioners (Victorian and Italian VIllage) are volunteers, made up of people (City appointed) from the neighborhood, architects and people who actually know something about preservation. In case you didn’t notice, most of the Short North is made up of districts on the National Register of Historic Places. The City enacted ordinances to help preserve the historic character of the neighborhood. The commissioners have guidelines they follow. And that is why they get to nitpick the hell out of what gets built in the neighborhood.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

So apparently Jman is the guy who has:
    A: never been to a commission meeting
    B: never read their charge
    C: never read the Short North overlay that was developed by officials, residents and developers to guide the development of the neighborhood
    D: enjoys insulting those who have contributed to the development of the area probably before he was born

Developers are well aware of all of this when they enter the neighborhood and purchase property.

mike_jones
    Participant

This is in response to j mans post..Actually Columbus has one of the tallest skylines of any city it’s size according to emporius .com.Columbus has 8 buildings over 450 feet.In comparison Cleveland has 5, Cininnati has 4,Indianapolis…3.Austin..4,Phoenix…1,Nashville…3.Columbus problem is that it’s downtown is so sprawling ..Imagine Columbus height and massive buildings in Cincinnatis small footprint…
    E

Miracle
    Participant

I understand the White Castle site getting reduced, but not so much this one. The sites are not that far away from each other but the surrounding area of each is much different – in my opinion. The White Castle sits on much calmer streets that are surrounded and over look residential. This site is also surrounded by residential but they are not single family homes and immediately behind the condos is Goodale Park(i think the park would look great from the building and building great from the park). The area from Buttles to Park Street and down to 670 just has a more bustling feel that easily warrants 11 stories on this site.

jbcmh81
    Participant

So with this and the White Castle reduction, perhaps the “Tall North” talk was a wee bit premature, if not more than a little presumptive. Commissioners really don’t want to see that happen. Not shocking… just more disappointment about the mediocre heights (and standards) of projects in the urban core.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Uh,thanks Nancy. Why do I get the feeling that most of the people on the VV and IV commissions are a bunch of conservative, finger wagging, sock darning, church lady old ninnies?<br>
    Pardon my French.

I can promise to you and everyone else that the commissions are both are made up of a diverse set of people, with a variety of view points. The number one focus of both the commissions is to maintain a high quality, vibrant, and historically sensitive built environment. They are all public meetings if you ever want to come down and see how they work.

JMan
    Participant

Mike Jones said:

This is in response to j mans post..Actually Columbus has one of the tallest skylines of any city it’s size according to emporius .com.Columbus has 8 buildings over 450 feet.In comparison Cleveland has 5, Cininnati has 4,Indianapolis…3.Austin..4,Phoenix…1,Nashville…3.Columbus problem is that it’s downtown is so sprawling ..Imagine Columbus height and massive buildings in Cincinnatis small footprint…
    E

Here is a reasonable comparison of skylines in our peer cities. For me, ours could use some serious infill, though none of these cities is totally dissimilar. Hopefully, the Wolfe family will build something substantial on the Dispatch site.

BTW, has anyone heard of Buckhead in Atlanta?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

I understand the White Castle site getting reduced, but not so much this one. The sites are not that far away from each other but the surrounding area of each is much different – in my opinion. The White Castle sits on much calmer streets that are surrounded and over look residential. This site is also surrounded by residential but they are not single family homes and immediately behind the condos is Goodale Park(i think the park would look great from the building and building great from the park). The area from Buttles to Park Street and down to 670 just has a more bustling feel that easily warrants 11 stories on this site.

I’m definitely not rah-rah on height. But if a developer wants to do it and offers up the right parking, it concerns me that we’re asking to scale it down. I get if we’re doing it for historic preservation. But it seems to me these projects are getting downscaled because of density concerns and that feels a little backwards to me.

Nancy H
    Participant

But it seems to me these projects are getting downscaled because of density concerns and that feels a little backwards to me.

Further back a few posts, IV Commissioner Josh Lapp said “They are all public meetings if you ever want to come down and see how they work.” Attending a commission meeting will give you a whole new appreciation for the sock darning church ladies that make up our commissions.

Seriously though, just reading the Short North Design Guidelines will explain a lot of things. At a minimum, read the bullit points that make up section 3.5.

The Short North Design Guidelines are available here
    http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=44997

dcariens
    Participant

Columbus is downsizing itself right out of the big leagues. When the Hilton Convention hotel was built there was talk of the need for a 1,000 room hotel, but no–a 550 room hotel was built. Cleveland is building a 1,000 room hotel and attracted the Republican Convention. Columbus tried to get the Democrats. Surprise, the city was turned down. One of the reasons is the no 1,000 room hotel. Time and time again, the city goes small. Too bad. There is so much potential and it is being lost. From light rail and streetcar lines (which usually result in a building and real-estate boom) to low rise, boring buildings. Eleven stories in the Short North will not create too much density. There are ways to handle taller buildings by demanding larger parking garages. The success the city is having is coming in spite of some of its decision makers.

What a shame. It appears that some mental midgets are calling too many shots.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Cleveland is building a 1,000 room hotel and attracted the Republican Convention.

Off-topic, but no, Cleveland is not building a 1,000 room hotel, nor do they have more downtown hotel rooms than us. Their new Hilton will have 600 rooms and be the city’s biggest, our Hyatt Regency is even larger with 633.

dcariens
    Participant

Cleveland is building a 30 story 1,000 room downtown. It is a Hilton. I was just in the city and it is under construction and is tied to their convention center.

ohbr
    Participant

Cleveland is building a 30 story 1,000 room downtown. It is a Hilton. I was just in the city and it is under construction and is tied to their convention center.

Or you could get the facts

Cuyahoga County Council on Tuesday night approved $21.5 million in contracts for the taxpayer-financed, 27-story convention center hotel planned for the current site of the county administration building.

Edit: It was later revised to 32 Stories but maintains only 600 rooms. http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2014/08/interiors_proposed_for_the_new.html

The $260 million, 600-room hotel, which will be owned by the county and managed by Hilton, is slated to be complete sometime in 2016.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 168 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: