Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New 11-Story Office Building in The Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New 11-Story Office Building in The Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 168 total)
  • Author

JMan
    Participant

True, the pedestrian experience is an important/vital part of the urban experience. Just as important to this urban experience is density, and in a contemporary city, high-rise buildings. We shouldn’t expect that high-rises will simply come later with the attitude we have, and we may yet become a city of mostly 3-6 story ho-hum mundane, boring brick buildings. CBUS has the smallest, least dense skyline of any city our size – urban or metro. Same with our public transportation. This is not a badge of honor, or a defining quality of our city- unless we want to be defined by the mediocre and sub standard. Personally, I’m looking forward to the new 11 story building. How exciting, and what good news for US!

Roger846
    Participant

True, the pedestrian experience is an important/vital part of the urban experience. Just as important to this urban experience is density, and in a contemporary city, high-rise buildings. We shouldn’t expect that high-rises will simply come later with the attitude we have, and we may yet become a city of mostly 3-6 story ho-hum mundane, boring brick buildings. CBUS has the smallest, least dense skyline of any city our size – urban or metro. Same with our public transportation. This is not a badge of honor, or a defining quality of our city- unless we want to be defined by the mediocre and sub standard. Personally, I’m looking forward to the new 11 story building. How exciting, and what good news for US!

I totally agree. Well said.

ohbr
    Participant

CBUS has the smallest, least dense skyline of any city our size – urban or metro.

This is a bit over exaggerated. Sure, SOME of our similarly sized cities are, but not all, and there are even some larger cities with far less impressive skylines. Not to mention that it’s time to get over what the skyline looks like and simply worry about what is the best fit for the area regardless of how it pieces into some photograph compared to some other city. When I think of these cities, I don’t think of their skylines. I think of my experience there, at street level. Especially cities we are trending toward or similar to. Skyscraper envy has been discussed before and it’s overrated. If we get more skyscrapers, I’ll be elated, but as long as the trend is, as it seems to be going, hitting the 10 story mark more than not, we’re going to be ok. Sure a few smaller buildings are working in, but I’m pretty sure more than half of the new proposals and currently under construction projects downtown near or exceed that 10 mark. Won’t be long until we start hitting the 15 more consistently and maybe even a skyscraper, but that’s really not what we should focus on.

cadillackid
    Participant

I fail to understand the reason or need for super high skyscrapers other than a cool skyline look.. it seems all they do is block sunlight which we dont get enouygh of in this town anyway with all the gray days.. the 10-15 story building makes for a nice density level and also still being able to see the sky when walking along the street. with the ;large amount of land we have in this city it seems like a population base large enough to support retail / restaraunt growth can be obtained with buildings in that 10-15 floor range. we arent bounded by mountains, oceans, lakes, etc like many cities are so we can spread a little and still be very walkable / bikeable in the central area.

while im the first to say i love skyscrapers and wouldnt mind living in a high-floor apartment someday I think part of the issue becomes selling people on them. many cities faced big issues after 9/11 selling high spaces.. esp in buildings that stuck up above the others.. for a building to truly change the columbus skyline its going to beed to build higher than our tallest one.. could the developer sell the space? perhaps now as people are beginning to “get over” the tall building fear that existed after 9/11.

I do agree buildings shorter than that 10 floor mark do create low-density in areas in which we really need and could sell higher density.. I was surprised to see that the buildings around the commons were not taller.. but the 250 South high building creates a really Nice height for the area (I think).

going up into the short north I like to see the height increase too in an area thats more residential than anything I think this increases the density where its needed to support the local businesses in the area..

while people in the burbs may travel to the city as part of work, and for a special event such as gallery hop, reality is they arent the norm for supporting the businesses. Office buildings in the area offer a certain amount of support for daytime shopping / dining.. HOWEVER let the old city center be a reminder that just because you have many people WORKING in an area doesnt mean they shop there…

I personally would Like to see more taller Residential buildings go up in the short north area..

-Christopher

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…block sunlight…

No, a meteor hitting the earth is what blocks sunlight and makes the dinosaurs go extinct.

Taller buildings create shade during certain times of day. They don’t block out the sun.

InnerCore
    Participant

I fail to understand the reason or need for super high skyscrapers other than a cool skyline look.. it seems all they do is block sunlight which we dont get enouygh of in this town anyway with all the gray days.. the 10-15 story building makes for a nice density level and also still being able to see the sky when walking along the street. with the ;large amount of land we have in this city it seems like a population base large enough to support retail / restaraunt growth can be obtained with buildings in that 10-15 floor range. we arent bounded by mountains, oceans, lakes, etc like many cities are so we can spread a little and still be very walkable / bikeable in the central area.

An area of 10-15 story buildings can block out more sunlight than an area with 30 story buildings. In order to create view/light corridors many places usually put setbacks. So for example when you go above 8 stories you have to set the building back further. This allows for the sun and light to get through more hours of the day. So depending on what density you are shooting for you may need a taller building that get’s slimmer as it gets higher than a shorter fatter one.

For example let’s say you a shooting for 300 units per acre and want a max lot coverage of 80% and you have an acre lot. That would mean you want to build 300 units which when taking into consideration hallways, back of house, etc that would be about 350k SF of space. You would need about 450 parking spaces which would be about 160k SF of space and lets throw in another 25k SF for lobby, retail etc. That about 530k sf of space. Now you have an acre lot and want 80% max lot coverage so you have about 35k square feet to build on. So 530,000/35,000 is about a 15 story building. So could be shorter or taller depending on the density you’re shooting for. But that’s a 15 story building that is straight up and down. You’d get a much better building with more view corridors, space between the buildings for better balconies, etc if the building stepped back to a 20k floor plate after the 8th floor which would lead to a 20 story building.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>cadillackid wrote:</div>

An area of 10-15 story buildings can block out more sunlight than an area with 30 story buildings. In order to create view/light corridors many places usually put setbacks. So for example when you go above 8 stories you have to set the building back further. This allows for the sun and light to get through more hours of the day. So depending on what density you are shooting for you may need a taller building that get’s slimmer as it gets higher than a shorter fatter one.

For example let’s say you a shooting for 300 units per acre and want a max lot coverage of 80% and you have an acre lot. That would mean you want to build 300 units which when taking into consideration hallways, back of house, etc that would be about 350k SF of space. You would need about 450 parking spaces which would be about 160k SF of space and lets throw in another 25k SF for lobby, retail etc. That about 530k sf of space. Now you have an acre lot and want 80% max lot coverage so you have about 35k square feet to build on. So 530,000/35,000 is about a 15 story building. So could be shorter or taller depending on the density you’re shooting for. But that’s a 15 story building that is straight up and down. You’d get a much better building with more view corridors, space between the buildings for better balconies, etc if the building stepped back to a 20k floor plate after the 8th floor which would lead to a 20 story building.

Where have you been dammit! lol. We needed you in the High st. between Gay and Long thread!

paul.szuter
    paul.szuter
    Participant

Has anyone heard anything on this? Has it been approved? (Sorry, I couldn’t find original Messageboard thread…)

http://www.columbusunderground.com/new-short-north-office-building

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

(Sorry, I couldn’t find original Messageboard thread…)

Merged. ;)

paul.szuter
    paul.szuter
    Participant

Haha! Thank you! :)

Nancy H
    Participant

Has anyone heard anything on this? Has it been approved?

It has only been to the Victorian Village Commission once and that was for conceptual review/discussion. It is on the upcoming November 12th VVC agenda. No idea what is being presented. You can view the commissioners comments from the conceptual review on the City’s website.

I would be surprised if this gets finalized/approved in 2015. The existing 45 public parking spaces (in the City owned parking lot) are being relocated/incorporated into the parking garage that is being build half a block east, in the Italian Village Commission area.

So they have to get everything sorted out with both buildings and both commissions.

paul.szuter
    paul.szuter
    Participant

Thank you Nancy!! :)

JMan
    Participant

My guess is the height is also an issue.If you want to build something here it just better be 3-6 red brick story bland mediocre. Only in Columbohio!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

My guess is the height is also an issue.If you want to build something here it just better be 3-6 red brick story bland mediocre. Only in Columbohio!

Of the Top 10 architectural designs of 2015, none are 3-6 story red brick boxes…

http://www.columbusunderground.com/the-best-architectural-design-of-2015-the-ohio-veterans-memorial-adw2015

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 168 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: