Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New 11-Story Office Building in The Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New 11-Story Office Building in The Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 168 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

New 11-Story Office Building Proposed for The Short North
    September 2, 2015 4:58 pm – Walker Evans

Local developers at The Wood Companies and Schiff Capital Group are teaming up once again for another Short North project. The companies announced this afternoon that they plan to construct a new 11-story office building at 711 North High Street, replacing an existing public parking lot owned by the City of Columbus. The project is being referred to as a public-private partnership with the city, as the existing 45 public parking spaces will be replaced with 125 publicly-available parking spaces in the form of a new garage a block east at the northeast intersection of Lincoln and Pearl.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-short-north-office-building

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Very nice! I hope it doesn’t stall too long and construction can begin soon. Looks like the rooftop patio will be located on the south side of the building on the 4th floor..Great views of downtown!

ehill27
    Participant

Nancy H
    Participant

Very nice! I hope it doesn’t stall too long and construction can begin soon. Looks like the rooftop patio will be located on the south side of the building on the 4th floor..Great views of downtown!

Yes, very nice infill. Although the renderings are lacking in any number of details, the overall feel is good. I think the rooftop patio is actually planned for the 11th floor roof and not the 4th floor. There are buildings to the south that would block most of the view to downtown (The Joseph in particular). I suspect that is a bit of a plaza area on the 4th floor, for the office workers, much like what is on the second floor of the Wood Co Building at Second and High.

The tough part will be the parking garage that they plan to build at Pearl & Lincoln. That is a potentially huge NIMBY because of the surrounding residential on Lincoln.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I see a nice big mural space on the back of that building. That might help convince the NIMBY’s as well.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The tough part will be the parking garage that they plan to build at Pearl & Lincoln. That is a potentially huge NIMBY because of the surrounding residential on Lincoln.

There’s no renderings or site maps yet, but they’re saying the garage would include residential facing Lincoln. I imagine the entrance to the garage would be on Pearl.

That lot is currently a big surface lot, so it wouldn’t change the use much as far as neighbors are concerned.

ColDayMan
    Participant

*Fingers crossed*

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I don’t know you probably only need one deck, maybe 2, to fit that number of spots. If you mask it on Lincoln with housing I think it could be pretty appealing. Plus it’s replacing an existing public parking lot.

I think the roof top patio will have incredible views. That’ll be really cool.

WJT
    Participant

From what I gather, The proposal looks like 7 levels of office above the ground floor and parking, with the top floor being the restaurant/bar? They said a ground floor restaurant as well, so will the Mitchell place be on the top floor or ground floor I wonder?

I don’t care one bit if they sell the lot for $1.00-if it helps projects like this get off the ground, and adds public structured parking replacing a surface lot with a net gain in spaces (and let’s not forget the residential component of the garage space facing Lincoln).

Tall, office, rooftop bar/restaurant, residential, structured parking…all replacing two surface parking lots. Build it now!

I will CUT any NIMBY’S who try to ruin this or get this downsized!!!!! ;)

*Same thing I posted on the article itself. *sharpens knives* ;)

If the Nimby’s complain, then the mural can be of a great big raised middle finger facing them!

ohbr
    Participant

From what I gather, The proposal looks like 7 levels of office above the ground floor and parking

I thought that too but the parking garage seems as though it’s not going to be attached according to the article. It’s going to be across the street off pearl alley in an existing private parking lot.

As for paying $1. Sure, the end result is extremely beneficial, like the Joseph project, but there are rules and regulations that should be upheld when public land is at stake. Period. I would like to hear the ‘public-private’ partnership deal and see how the city is trying to avoid the same controversy as the other lots. I wonder if it’s a land swap and they get to keep the revenue from the parking garage which would be fine. The city would still be getting value out of the land, more than $1.

I echo other comments about Cameron Mitchel :eye roll: ok. Move your offices in but please don’t add another Cameron Mitchell restaurant. That area doesn’t need another one.

And from my perspective, they did a great job making sure the first 3 floor will fit in almost seamlessly with the surrounding buildings. If they took the time to do that, chances are good they will come up with a great parking deck concept with residences on Lincoln.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I echo other comments about Cameron Mitchel :eye roll: ok. Move your offices in but please don’t add another Cameron Mitchell restaurant. That area doesn’t need another one.

I disagree because Marcella’s, The Pearl and Guild House are all different concepts.

Some people might complain that the concepts aren’t unique and innovative enough, but the same argument could be made against 90% of the restaurants all of in Columbus if you really want to be a stickler about it.

As long as the restaurant that goes in there is something interesting for the neighborhood, who cares who’s name is attached to the concept?

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>

I disagree because Marcella’s, The Pearl and Guild House are all different concepts.

Some people might complain that the concepts aren’t unique and innovative enough, but the same argument could be made against 90% of the restaurants all of in Columbus if you really want to be a stickler about it.

As long as the restaurant that goes in there is something interesting for the neighborhood, who cares who’s name is attached to the concept?

Fair Points. It’s just more or less being picky about how redundant to hear about another “Cameron Mitchell Concept.” Sometimes it feels like he’s the only restauranteur in the city. I feel the same way with the Hyde Park Cap. I’m hoping for an Applebee’s or BW3s. :-P

goldenidea
    Participant

Let’s hope that an 11 story design will be approved the VV Commission.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Yeah, I know the VV Commission didn’t like the 11-story White Castle site proposal, and the upper floors on that were setback pretty far.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>
    From what I gather, The proposal looks like 7 levels of office above the ground floor and parking

I thought that too but the parking garage seems as though it’s not going to be attached according to the article. It’s going to be across the street off pearl alley in an existing private parking lot.

As for paying $1. Sure, the end result is extremely beneficial, like the Joseph project, but there are rules and regulations that should be upheld when public land is at stake. Period. I would like to hear the ‘public-private’ partnership deal and see how the city is trying to avoid the same controversy as the other lots. I wonder if it’s a land swap and they get to keep the revenue from the parking garage which would be fine. The city would still be getting value out of the land, more than $1.

And from my perspective, they did a great job making sure the first 3 floor will fit in almost seamlessly with the surrounding buildings. If they took the time to do that, chances are good they will come up with a great parking deck concept with residences on Lincoln.

From the article:

The developers have submitted an application for preliminary development plan with the city. The Victorian Village Commission must still review and approve the development. The office tower will have about 70 to 80 dedicated parking slots for the building’s commercial tenants.

As part of the North High plan, the developers also have pledged to build a parking garage with 125 slots on a surface parking lot the Wood Cos. owns a few blocks away at East Lincoln and North Pearl streets. That parking available to the public will make up for the loss of the 45 surface lot slots on the proposed office development site. That parking project also will incorporate housing on Lincoln to maintain the neighborhood’s residential character.

The ‘also’ suggest to me to read as ‘in addition to’. It says the tower has 70 to 80 dedicated spots. If you look at the back of the building on the renderings, it looks like a parking deck of some kind on the back-the 3 story section in the front looks like 4-5 floors of parking in the back.

The land for the tower is jointly owned by the city and by Wood Cos. Hopefully they can work something out regarding the transfer of the property from Columbus that is reasonable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 168 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO