Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NEST Thermostat

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

- i was surprised that it will not allow more than one user to control it. it would seem natural that my wife and I would both want to be able to make occasional adjustments

Not sure why that’s the case – we have two users connected to ours without any problems.

jOHnH
    Participant

Have had one for about two years. Energy savings were noticeable from the start. Highly recommended.

Look at the wiring on the circuit board of your furnace, I made the mistake of wiring my nest up how my previous thermostat was wired and it didn’t function properly. Also a heads up, most furnaces have have safety switch on the circuit board cover panel, so make sure you put that back on before you turn on the nest.

jOHnH
    Participant

I had the HVAC guys add a C wire to my nest because I was also worried about it. That being said, it’s my understanding that most furnaces won’t be upset by the slight parasitic loss from the thermostat.

Sorry quoted the wrong post in my last response.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

After further inspection (as in pulling the wires all the way out of the wall) I did have a Common wire (C) it just wasn’t hooked up to the last thermostat. I hooked it up to the NEST and hooked it to the circuit board on the furnace and we’re up and running.

thanks for answering my questions CU people. Let the savings begin (hopefully)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

So I’ve had one for a week and this morning it gives me the message that it can auto set to home and away now. I’ve been using the scheduler all week so I’m guessing it will base it off of that? One thing I have learned is it takes a long time to heat my house. (and it’s not a very large house). I am using the setting to preheat to my desired temp before I get home and most of the time it says it will take around 1.5-2 hours to get to that temp (from 64 away temp, to 68 home temp)

happy with my purchase so far.

joev
    Participant

From experience, I’d wait a couple more months before letting it auto-set. This time of year is not the time to come home to a cold house.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

From experience, I’d wait a couple more months before letting it auto-set. This time of year is not the time to come home to a cold house.

yup, just had that happen

joev
    Participant

I think Nest’s intuition is maybe just a step up from Microsoft Word’s Clippy.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!