Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NEST Thermostat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Anyone have one? reviews? thoughts?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Have had one for about two years. Energy savings were noticeable from the start. Highly recommended.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

I have one for each of my systems in my house. I enjoy mine and saw significant savings in the first three month compared to the previous year at the same time. I’ve had them installed for over a year now and recommend it. It takes about three months to learn your house, the time it takes to reach a temp, best time to shut off the a/c and things of that nature.

Two really nice features:

If you have more than one hvac system the two or more nests will communicate with each other making it the most efficient schedule.

The other, with your a/c and traditional t-stat the a/c runs until it reaches the set temp. With the nest it will cut the a/c off early and just use the fan to keep blowing until the temp is reached. This will help reduce some of the costs associated with running the a/c.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Thanks, looks like I’m sold.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I’ve had one for about two years as well and absolutely love it. The application is pretty user friendly for setting up a schedule of when you’ll be home and your preferred temperature vs. when you know you’ll be at work. I also like that for times not on the schedule, I can set it to away and remotely turn it on when I’m on my way home (really great if you travel to other cities for Xmas and whatnot).
    The app also shows you the most energy efficient temperature, and your energy efficiency per day. As the other commentors noted, I have seen a significant reduction in energy cost, I’dsay it paid for itself in the first year.

drew
    Participant

Just another comment about how much I love our Nest. We had a power outage yesterday, which meant no heat for roughly 5 hours. We left our house for warmer and electrified environs, and were able to tell whether or not the power was back on by looking at the Nest app on our phones (Nest offline = power off, online = power on). Once the power came back on, we were able to use the app to see when it was warm enough for us to return (it got down to around 45).

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

https://nest.com/energy-partners/columbia-gas-ohio/

That’s how I got mine, it’s a great deal! I have had it for 2 weeks now and it’s a pretty nifty device, even with my ever changing work schedule.

My phone now unlocks my door, changes the temp, tells me whats wrong with my car, controls the tv, pays my groceries, and plays music through my stereo(using a voice command even!).

THE FUTURE!!!

bob.os
    Participant

I’m tempted to get one occasionally, but we don’t use our AC anywhere near enough to merit the purchase. According to Nest’s own research, users can expect to save 10-12% per year on heating bills and 15% on AC vs a non-programmable thermostat.

I’ll just keep running our aged programmable thermostat until it dies.

OTOH, the Nest-as-smarthome-hub idea is actually more interesting.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

There’s a ton of home automation stuff on the market these days. Last time I was at Best Buy I spent more time looking at that than anything else.

derm
    derm
    Participant

I’m tempted to get one occasionally, but we don’t use our AC anywhere near enough to merit the purchase. According to Nest’s own research, users can expect to save 10-12% per year on heating bills and 15% on AC vs a non-programmable thermostat.

I’ll just keep running our aged programmable thermostat until it dies.

OTOH, the Nest-as-smarthome-hub idea is actually more interesting.

They will give you a programmable one for free or nearly nothing. Save up for a NEST but switch out your thermostat stat. Shipped under five bucks

http://www.energyfederation.org/columbiagasohio/default.php/cPath/5125_5127

dru
    Participant

much of the praise has already been covered. i will add that my Nest looks really cool on my wall.

so far my only drawbacks are:
    – it took a longer time than expected to adjust to the actual temperature in our house when installed
    – i was surprised that it will not allow more than one user to control it. it would seem natural that my wife and I would both want to be able to make occasional adjustments

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

technical question.

For those of you that installed it do you remember what wires you had.

I have a G Y W R set up.

according to the nest site this will work. But a lot of people are saying you really need a C wire as well to add another power source.

anyone?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I had the HVAC guys add a C wire to my nest because I was also worried about it. That being said, it’s my understanding that most furnaces won’t be upset by the slight parasitic loss from the thermostat.

dru
    Participant

Maybe I’m missing something important, but we only have a G Y W R set up.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I have one for each of my systems in my house. I enjoy mine and saw significant savings in the first three month compared to the previous year at the same time. I’ve had them installed for over a year now and recommend it. It takes about three months to learn your house, the time it takes to reach a temp, best time to shut off the a/c and things of that nature.

Two really nice features:

If you have more than one hvac system the two or more nests will communicate with each other making it the most efficient schedule.

The other, with your a/c and traditional t-stat the a/c runs until it reaches the set temp. With the nest it will cut the a/c off early and just use the fan to keep blowing until the temp is reached. This will help reduce some of the costs associated with running the a/c.

I too have two systems and wondered how they could work in tandem so that’s fantastic to hear.

Sounds like they’d pay for themselves in about a year between the efficiency savings and Columbia gas rebates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!