Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Neil Avenue Speed Limit Might Get Raised to 35 MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Neil Avenue Speed Limit Might Get Raised to 35 MPH

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rory said:
    I don’t think it’s the end of the world. A lot of people already go 35 on Neil.

Does that mean if we set it to 35mph, everyone will go 45? ;)

rory
    Participant

Walker said:

That’s how it works in Weinland Park. But Neil already has traffic islands, joggers with strollers and every other manner of traffic calming. And they’ll get used to it. ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Walker said:

Many people typically go 5-10 miles over the speed limits, including myself, because they can “get away with it”, so yes.

The fact that this study has even been considered is disturbing in and of itself.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Too many bikes (which is good!) on Neil. Needs to stay a slow 25mph IMO.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Many people typically go 5-10 miles over the speed limits, including myself, because they can “get away with it”, so yes.

The fact that this study has even been considered is disturbing in and of itself.

So, I am a rare one that actually goes below the speed limit?

Roland
    Participant

With all the traffic on Neil, I don’t think travelling at 35 MPH is realistic. In my opinion, Neil is one of those roads that are a joy to just take your time on.

bjones7
    Participant

Any faster and downtown is going to look like the Columbus Grand Prix: http://youtu.be/2WKKJ42QVYM

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

CalebR said:
    So, I am a rare one that actually goes below the speed limit?

From my observations, most people either go the speed limit or just over. I would say you are in the minority :) I do occasionally find myself going under but only because I can’t take my eyes off of the beautiful homes.

GCrites80s
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    Any faster and downtown is going to look like the Columbus Grand Prix: http://youtu.be/2WKKJ42QVYM

New Camel Corner at Neil and Fifth plus a new Budweiser Bend going into Thurber!

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

rory said:
    I don’t think it’s the end of the world. A lot of people already go 35 on Neil.

…and now they will go 45

[EDIT] Looks like Walker beat me to it.

ehill27
    Participant

Keep it 25!

(And bring other area streets down to 25 as well)

peter
    Participant

The real problem is that drivers largely ignore speed limit signs. They drive by how fast the road feels. The true solution to this is traffic calming – more street parking, more trees lining the road, more elevation changes, more curves, more sidewalks, more bike paths, narrower lanes.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

peter said:
    The real problem is that drivers largely ignore speed limit signs. They drive by how fast the road feels. The true solution to this is traffic calming – more street parking, more trees lining the road, more elevation changes, more curves, more sidewalks, more bike paths, narrower lanes.

+1 right on.

Transit Columbus
    Transit Columbus
    Participant

Higher speeds on Neil Ave. will result in more deaths and serious injuries for pedestrians and cyclists. Check out this quote from Forbes:

However, as speed increases above 15 m.p.h., small changes in speed yield relatively large increases in risk. [b][i]The death rate more than doubles for pedestrians when speed increases from 25 to 35 m.p.h.[/b][/i]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2011/09/30/low-driving-speed-can-cause-serious-pedestrian-injury-and-death-report-finds/

Rockmastermike
    Participant

All that being said this study really is the only way the temporary 25 can be made permanent. Otherwise they’re going to continue having to justify the so-called-temporary limit still being there after a decade. Legally the road already is a 35.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.