Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Need ideas for eats, drinks, and funs in Chicago

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Need ideas for eats, drinks, and funs in Chicago

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Ok, I know this is early, but I don’t wanna play work right now. A friend and I are hitting Pitchfork in Chicago in July. We’re staying in the Lincoln Park area. Give me some ideas for great eats and drinks and stuff to see. We aren’t really looking to drop huge chunks of cash at any one place, but we’ll probably splurge for dinner either Thursday or Saturday night. We dig odd, quirky, cheap, local, independent, hole in the wall kinda places. Good funky shopping? And shops to buy new and used records? That kinda stuff.

OKONYOURMARKGETSETGO!

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

We went to Avec (http://www.avecrestaurant.com/) when we were there last year; great food, small plates, very casual and it didn’t break the bank. Probably the best meal I’ve eaten!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I checked out the menu…that there looks right tasty. Thanks! :)

AmyJ
    Participant

Haha. I was just coming here to recommend Avec. It’s fantastic. The original chef is now the personal chef to the Obamas in the White House. Make sure you order this — focaccia with Taleggio cheese, truffle oil and fresh herbs — and send me a thank you note later.

I really love The Green Mill for music & drinks (http://www.greenmilljazz.com) as well as the entire neighborhood surrounding it.

Cafe 28 in Irving Park is a fun, casual spot for dinner. Delicious Cuban eats as well. The ceviche is one of my favorites. http://www.cafe28.org

I’ll ask my friend the names of the places we went in Lincoln Park (she lives in an adjacent neighborhood). They were all divey and fun.

Bear
    Participant

Mm, that’s up near some of the best blues clubs in the known universe.

And Momma Leona’s pizza, if they’re still in business. Whole cloves of garlic, baked right into the pizza.

kit444
    Participant

There’s a lot of fun bars running up Lincoln Ave from the DePaul area (around Fullerton Ave.) that you’d probably like. I can’t think of names off-hand though. I should probably ask my daughter. She probably knows more about Chicago nightlife than I do at this point.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

Quartino’s for lunch

The Green Mill for drinks and jazz

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

You guys are kicking ass. Keep em comin! :)

jennyw
    Participant

Haven’t been there yet, but my sis raves about the cocktails at The Violet Hour[/url].

Hot Doug’s[/url] is a classic, even for a vegetarian like me (they offer veggie dogs).

Giordano’s[/url] has a ridiculously thick stuffed pizza.

Haven’t been to Kuma’s but everyone I’ve talked to who has visited this heavy metal-themed burger joint has raved about it.

I love love love Quimby’s[/url] books, in Wicker Park. (Wicker Park, in general, has some fun shopping. For instance, you can find the Renegade Handmad[/url]e store there.)

All of that said, going to Pitchfork can be a pretty day-consuming activity, especially since there’s no re-entry and the summertime heat can be a bit sapping. Fortunately, there’ll be people selling records, posters and crafts inside the event, too. And keep an eye out for a guy outside of the fenced in area selling ice cream (and passing it through the fence). It is one of the cheapest eats available, plus it is a great way to beat the heat. Inside the park, the best food/drink deal I found was lemonade with chunks of watermelon. I recommend seeking it out.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

Oh, almost forgot; we ate breakfast at The Bagel (http://www.bagelrestaurant.com/), which was really an inexpensive deli/diner-type place. It’s in Lakeview, so not too far from Lincoln Park.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

i would also recommend a walking ghost tour, very very fun.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

jenny…thanks for all the great tips. We’re only hitting Pitchfork on Friday actually. I’ve seen a big chunk of the Saturday bands, and I was really just dying to see Modest Mouse Friday night. So we’ll have all day and evening Thursday, Friday until about midday, and then all day and night Saturday to poke around town.

Bear
    Participant

jennyw wrote >>
    Haven’t been there yet, but my sis raves about the cocktails at The Violet Hour[/url].
    Hot Doug’s[/url] is a classic, even for a vegetarian like me (they offer veggie dogs).

Both legendary.

jennyw
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    jenny…thanks for all the great tips. We’re only hitting Pitchfork on Friday actually. I’ve seen a big chunk of the Saturday bands, and I was really just dying to see Modest Mouse Friday night. So we’ll have all day and evening Thursday, Friday until about midday, and then all day and night Saturday to poke around town.

Nice. My husband and I have been going about every other year, but decided to skip out this go-round in favor of Siren Fest, on Coney Island (the same weekend, sigh). The no re-entry policy at Pitchfork just makes me crazy!

asil
    Participant

Walker Brothers for pancakes!![/url]

Seriously. I have pictures of those pancakes on my phone. Before pictures of my kid.

Jealous of your Pitchforking and your possible Walker Bros. pancake eating. Have fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION