Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Need for Anchor Skyscraper

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Need for Anchor Skyscraper

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I would say Columbus has a marketing problem and not a lack of skyscraper problem.

If you’re looking for a statement building I would say Leveque Tower fits the bill. It was the 5th tallest building in the world when it was built.

However,it also led to the bankruptcy of the company that built it, so one does have to take economics into account when building these things.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Let’s compare sky boners.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

It would certainly be nice, maybe there is a plan that we don’t know about in the works to lure a corporation here (the jobless rate and influx of people could make it a possibility). Not to mention the numerous number of universities and colleges. Soon hopefully, until then. 5 – 20 story buildings would honestly probably be more beneficial.

buckeye54
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckeye54 wrote:</div>
    It’s my understanding that if chase would have put their polaris campus downtown then it would have easily been the largest skyscraper in the city.

In fact, it would be approximately the same size as the Empire State Building.

That’s crazy!! I wonder how much more cost effective it was for them to build at polaris or if it was simply a matter of wanting a suburban campus?

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

That’s crazy!! I wonder how much more cost effective it was for them to build at polaris or if it was simply a matter of wanting a suburban campus?

They didn’t build it, in fact it was acquired when JP Morgan Chase bought Bank One in 2004.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCoy_Building

EDIT: Would it be unrealistic to think that the AEP Building could be rebuilt within the next decade? It seems a bit outdated.

JAL
    Participant

Maybe Moody-Nolan would consider building the 1000 foot fantasy skyscraper they imaged for Columbus (a couple years back)- that could be your anchor signature building downtown. http://www.moodynolan.com/newsroom/2012/02/03/the-future-of-columbus/

MHJ
    Participant

I would agree that Columbus would benefit more from something along the lines of the Space Needle, the St. Louis Arch, or the CN Tower. Problem is, the views wouldn’t be as good from the top lol. The location of Vets Memorial would actually probably be the right location for such a thing, overlooking downtown and the river.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Maybe Moody-Nolan would consider building the 1000 foot fantasy skyscraper…

They’re architects, not developers.

JAL
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JAL wrote:</div>
    Maybe Moody-Nolan would consider building the 1000 foot fantasy skyscraper…

They’re architects, not developers.

I stand corrected….. The post was presented as more of a fantasy then reality since anyone who would develop anything taller than we already have would require some major corporation to relocate here and even then a company of that size would most likely located outside of downtown. I believe Midrise buildings at best are the future here at least for awhile.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Let’s compare sky boners.

dru
    Participant

can anyone name which awesome tower defines Austin? Portland? Nashville?

we are getting more buildings mid-range buildings downtown and more should come along to fill the gaps. but there’s no reason we need some giant, signature piece to define the city. i’d actually argue that if we need such a thing to tell the world that we’re cool and matter, then we probably aren’t really that cool and don’t really matter.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I stand corrected….. The post was presented as more of a fantasy then reality since anyone who would develop anything taller than we already have would require some major corporation to relocate here and even then a company of that size would most likely located outside of downtown. I believe Midrise buildings at best are the future here at least for awhile.

Someone call the Combine.

Nothing like an inter-dimensional empire relocating to your city to put those snooty New Yorkers in their place.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus does not need one defining skyscraper to let the world know “that we are here” and that we are a big city. It is what is experienced at the street level that matters most and we still have a long way to go in that dept. though we have made strides in the past 10 years or so.

+1

buckeyecpa
    Participant

5-7 stories with the occasional exception is all we need. You go vertical when you run out of space. We have plenty of that. Why do you think a tower will define our city? We can do amazing things without a tower or a structure that is extreme in design. Skylines look cool but that doesn’t mean the city is fun or better. I’m excited with where our city has went with the development in the last ten years. Towers go vacant during rough times. Smaller structures are easier to lease or stay leased during the rough patches.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Could you imagine how tall it would be if NRI folded up the entire Arena District into one tower that fit in one block? That would certainly stand out on a postcard or from a highway vista.

It would also mean just one single block of Downtown redeveloped with one big building.

Instead, they’ve spread it out to dozens of 4-to-7 story buildings (and one 20-story tower) and redeveloped 75 acres of Downtown with their footprint.

Which one of those options is a bigger benefit to the city?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: