Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 407 total)
  • Author

bjones7
    Participant

I think Columbus has a better chance of getting the Kings, then they did Sears. Wonder if they mayor knows about this?

I am 3

would be great, just would not happen. i remember a quote from Marge Schott when Buck reinhart tried to get a baseball team here – it went something like “Over my dead body” (competition for attendance, tv viewers, ad revenue, ect – all same thing that would come from cleveland. but then again shes dead & all, so maybe columbus has a shot..

here are 2 articles about it:
    http://www.cardinalsnet.com/news/columbus-once-made-play-to-land-cardinals-.php

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/12/2-ex-mayors-pleased-by-citys-growth.html

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

If we have money, we have a shot.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I am 3 said:
    would be great, just would not happen. i remember a quote from Marge Schott when Buck reinhart tried to get a baseball team here – it went something like “Over my dead body” (competition for attendance, tv viewers, ad revenue, ect – all same thing that would come from cleveland. but then again shes dead & all, so maybe columbus has a shot..

here are 2 articles about it:
    http://www.cardinalsnet.com/news/columbus-once-made-play-to-land-cardinals-.php

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/12/2-ex-mayors-pleased-by-citys-growth.html

Columbus Cardinals? If we had the Cardinals and Bengals, would the Brown’s have come back then?

I am 3

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    If we have money, we have a shot.

are you trying to be ironic? what money? the owners of the blue jackets just screwed the city of Columbus (sorry, I meant US) into subsidizing the team by buying the arena. what money?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I am 3 said:
    are you trying to be ironic? what money? the owners of the blue jackets just screwed the city of Columbus (sorry, I meant US) into subsidizing the team by buying the arena. what money?

You never know where the money may come from, and nobody screwed nobody.

ExileOn6thSt
    Participant

In the case of the Kings, the owners (the Maloof brothers) are pretty hell bent on moving the team to Anaheim, which is already upgrading an existing arena to accommodate more luxury boxes, etc. The only way Columbus gets the Kings is if the owners decide they’re tired of dealing with it and sell the team. I suspect they’ll be in Anaheim soon.

cheap

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    You never know where the money may come from, and nobody screwed nobody.

lmao.

yeah right.

city council ended up buying an arena that the citizens of this city refused to pay for 15 years ago,without voters in this city have any decision whatsoever

and they bought it with money that could be used elsewhere where it is needed

an NBA team would be a twin to the Bluejackets.it would be a bleeding festering wound on this city that would eventually heal after the team is sold or goes under.

but only after city council pisses away millions keeping somebody’s failing business venture afloat

this is a college football town,period.anything else in this town is a distraction at most.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

ExileOn6thSt said:
    In the case of the Kings, the owners (the Maloof brothers) are pretty hell bent on moving the team to Anaheim, which is already upgrading an existing arena to accommodate more luxury boxes, etc. The only way Columbus gets the Kings is if the owners decide they’re tired of dealing with it and sell the team. I suspect they’ll be in Anaheim soon.

You can’t have 3 teams within a metro population. Who goes to Net games? They all go to the Knicks. There’s also a lot more interest in basketball then hockey and soccer. More kids and teens love basketball. I rank top 4 sports based between ages 13-30. It would be: Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey tied, soccer.

ZHC

I thought about this too when I saw the Maloofs screw over Sacramento yet again.

If I were the mayor I would probably give them a call to judge interest just in case, we do have the facilities and infrastructure to have a team. if it can be done with minimal expense to our taxpayers why not try?

But I can understand why we wouldn’t want to, given the reputation of the owners for holding Sacramento and Anaheim hostage in a bidding war.

Also something to consider is that only 8 teams have won the NBA championship since 1980 and virtually two thirds of the league is in perpetual financial trouble, which means those teams keep going back to taxpayers. That makes the prospect of hosting or owning one of those teams a pretty risky proposition

columbusmike
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    You can’t have 3 teams within a metro population. Who goes to Net games? They all go to the Knicks. There’s also a lot more interest in basketball then hockey and soccer. More kids and teens love basketball. I rank top 4 sports based between ages 13-30. It would be: Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey tied, soccer.

I could be wrong but I believe golf has a bigger following than hockey (maybe not in the age range you mention).

I’d probably rather see the city of Columbus pursue a major golf championship at Scioto Country Club, OSU, or Muirfield before we try to lure an NBA team. I think golf has a much more direct and positive impact on the local community with little cost.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

ZHC said:
    I thought about this too when I saw the Maloofs screw over Sacramento yet again.

If I were the mayor I would probably give them a call to judge interest just in case, we do have the facilities and infrastructure to have a team. if it can be done with minimal expense to our taxpayers why not try?

But I can understand why we wouldn’t want to, given the reputation of the owners for holding Sacramento and Anaheim hostage in a bidding war.

Also something to consider is that only 8 teams have won the NBA championship since 1980 and virtually two thirds of the league is in perpetual financial trouble, which means those teams keep going back to taxpayers. That makes the prospect of hosting or owning one of those teams a pretty risky proposition

Yea I get what your saying, in hockey there’s almost a new champion each year. The last back to back was Detroit in 2000-2001. I think.

jbcmh81
    Participant

One has to wonder just how many people Columbus has to add before some people think of the city as something more than just a college town. 800,000+ people is a major city by most standards, and it gets bigger every year with people who have no connection whatsoever to the Buckeyes. A quarter of all new residents are not even from the US. People need to realize that Columbus is not some quaint little village anymore.

bman
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    One has to wonder just how many people Columbus has to add before some people think of the city as something more than just a college town. 800,000+ people is a major city by most standards, and it gets bigger every year with people who have no connection whatsoever to the Buckeyes. A quarter of all new residents are not even from the US. People need to realize that Columbus is not some quaint little village anymore.

A high speed train would change this!! ;)

pez
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:

Already on it, We just have to add a dash, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Tampa-St Petersburg and …
    Dublin-Columbus, OH!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 407 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION