Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 407 total)
  • Author

BenH

foxforcefive wrote >>

Schoolboy wrote >>
    as someone who even played college b-ball…
    i and 90% of everyone i know do not care about the nba what so ever
    it is all about money and “bling”, and does not follow the traditional rules of the game at all. which i don’t feel represents this city.
    would columbus support it? yes
    would it last in columbus? i don’t think so. cleveland is a better city for the nba and struggles enough pre or post the lebron era.

If you are talking about Cleveland struggling with game attendance, you are sadly mistaken.
    2010 season with Lebron: 20,562/game (2nd in the league, all games sold out
    2011 season without Lebron: 20,343/game (3rd in the league, 10 wins)
    Personally, I would get season tickets to NBA locally. Driving to Cleveland sucks.

That number is inflated because fans had to renew their season tickets last March before LeBron left. Next season could be ugly as a Plain Dealer poll suggests 54% of season ticket holders will not renew. On the other hand the Cavs are profitable mostly due to LeBron’s salary and it’s luxury tax implications.

http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Cleveland-Cavaliers-face-challenges-selling-tickets-if-losing-streak-continues021109478

tree_sketcher
    Participant

NEOBuckeye wrote
    We already have Nationwide Arena for the NBA. And as far as MLB goes, would it really be all that much trouble to upgrade the Clippers and Huntington Park?

No offense to NBA fans, but NHL, MLB, MLS and the various OSU would sports be my personal preference; seems like it would create a good mix of sports stuff for all 4 seasons.

Changing H Park wouldnt be cheap, but I bet it could be done; though it would still be a really small MLB ballpark (which may be better anyway). If an upper level grandstand was added around the infield and some more bleacher seating was added in the outfield areas, i bet you could easily get into the 25K range.

bman
    Participant

Throw the plasma center in the SN out and put the Cbus Kings in that location!

Antonio

You got the Spurs.

NFL amd MLB in Columbus, never see that happening.

For the most part, where sports have expanded, it has always been growing communities and growing metro areas.

sixby9is42 wrote >>
    I don’t know, I think Ohio State is all Columbus can handle. We’re lucky we have the NHL here. Same thing with UT Austin, you don’t see any major sports teams there. The rest of Texas is already saturated, and I think Ohio is in the same situation.

Antonio

anillo wrote >>
    Whoa, they’re still drawing that many people? That’s pretty impressive (I don’t really follow the NBA so I don’t have really any idea how much they draw).
    And the Packers are a pretty extreme (and for NFL/NBA/MLB, I believe the only) outlier as far as surrounding populations go. That being said though, it does depend a lot on the type of population, I believe the Tampa Bay Rays had low attendance at the end of last year despite being a playoff team.

You’re right about the Tampa Bay Rays. For whatever reason, they do not draw fans. I went to a game there when the won the AL crown. I felt like I hads my own beer, peanut and hot dog vendor and tickets were 10 bucks to get in, sitting behind the 3rd base dugout.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/tampa-bay-rays-poor-attendance-a-problem-everyone-plays-a-part-in/1091269

sixby9is42

Antonio wrote >>
    You got the Spurs.
    For the most part, where sports have expanded, it has always been growing communities and growing metro areas.

sixby9is42 wrote >>
    I don’t know, I think Ohio State is all Columbus can handle. We’re lucky we have the NHL here. Same thing with UT Austin, you don’t see any major sports teams there. The rest of Texas is already saturated, and I think Ohio is in the same situation.

The Spurs?! San Antonio and Austin are almost 90 minutes apart.

Antonio

sixby9is42 wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>
    You got the Spurs.

sixby9is42 wrote >>

My bad, you’re right. Coffee hadn’t kicked in.

johnwirtz
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>
    You got the Spurs.

sixby9is42 wrote >>

Is 90 minutes far?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Deal to keep Sacramento Kings in Sacramento failed. There are alot of basketball fans in Columbus and the only teams around are the Indiana Pacers and Cleveland Cavaliers. Both are 3 hours away (depending where you live). So, should we possibly try and create a deal to have them move into Nationwide Arena? Scheduling shouldn’t interfere with the Blue Jackets, they could always use Value City Arena. Also we could have fans in Kentucky, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Dayton, etc… I know it’s not likely to happen but you never know. Opinions?

columbusmike
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    Deal to keep Sacramento Kings in Sacramento failed. There are alot of basketball fans in Columbus and the only teams around are the Indiana Pacers and Cleveland Cavaliers. Both are 3 hours away (depending where you live). So, should we possibly try and create a deal to have them move into Nationwide Arena? Scheduling shouldn’t interfere with the Blue Jackets, they could always use Value City Arena. Also we could have fans in Kentucky, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Dayton, etc… I know it’s not likely to happen but you never know. Opinions?

I know it was brought up that an NBA team would be crucial to making Nationwide Arena a profitable venue. However, Columbus would most likely have to foot the bill for the team – which might make some sense due to the growing tourism/convention business that is coming to the city. I don’t necessarily agree that pro sports always make for a great place to live, but I think Columbus may be ready for such a leap. I’m sure any team would love to be in Columbus…our fans would be very supportive and the arena couldn’t be in a better location for family fun.

ExileOn6thSt
    Participant

I would love for Columbus to have an NBA team, but I’m not sure the support would be there. I lived in Memphis for a number of years, and Memphis is truly a basketball city – even so, during the early years of the team being there they struggled to fill seats. It was only when the team started competing at a playoff level that the fan base really grew and has stabilized. I imagine that Columbus would treat an NBA team roughly the same way as the Blue Jackets. If the team sucks, the franchise would really struggle.

Beyond that, as an NBA fan I think the best thing for the league would actually be contraction. If they cut 3-5 teams, the level of competition would be so much better. Hell, the Charlotte Bobcats are only winning 10% of their games this year because the guys they have are not NBA quality.

Still, if we got a team, I’d be there.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:

I think Cleveland has Pittsburgh/Western PA pretty much covered with the Cavs, in much the same way that the Penguins are the unofficial NHL team of Cleveland/NE Ohio, despite the Blue Jackets’ efforts to “carry the flag” for the entire state. Rather than waste time and money to try and win over fans from an established market, any potential NBA team in Columbus needs to market itself to the southern half of Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

NEOBuckeye said:
    I think Cleveland has Pittsburgh/Western PA pretty much covered with the Cavs, in much the same way that the Penguins are the unofficial NHL team of Cleveland/NE Ohio, despite the Blue Jackets’ efforts to “carry the flag” for the entire state. Rather than waste time and money to try and win over fans from an established market, any potential NBA team in Columbus needs to market itself to the southern half of Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia.

West Virginia is basketball crazy also. I have grand parents who watch college and professional religiously. Also the trek from Parkersburg, Wheeling would only be about 2 hours. I think Columbus could really take over in south Ohio, West Virginia, and maybe MAYBE parts of Pennsylvania. Sacramento isn’t that bad of a team. They have a shooting guard and Center. All they need is a point guard and they could be a playoff team.

columbusmike
    Participant

I think an NBA team would fair much better than the Blue Jackets, only because you’d have a steady flow of recognizable players coming into town to play and it has a wider following. Ask the average person to name 5 active hockey players and I bet they would struggle to name 3.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I think an NBA team would fair much better than the Blue Jackets, only because you’d have a steady flow of recognizable players coming into town to play and it has a wider following. Ask the average person to name 5 active hockey players and I bet they would struggle to name 3.

Think about it like this: Ohio State’s basketball team almost sells out every game. Ohio State Men’s Hockey team fills about 40% of the stadium. Blue Jackets fill about 70% of the stadium a year on average. If the King’s were to win the Draft Lottery and get a player of Lebron’s ability, we would be selling out every game.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 407 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!