Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

This topic contains 406 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by Jeffersin Jeffersin 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Hawaii really got shafted. How did they get stuck with the Golden State Warriors?

NDaEast
    Participant

The only way Columbus gets an NBA team is if the Cavs move here which isn’t likely.

And I thought this thread was about getting Columbus a professional team …

bjones7
    Participant

It’s not a regular season NBA game, but its a NBA game in Columbus! Still would be awesome to have a NBA team on Columbus!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11733821/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-says-chicago-bulls-better

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

This may pose an opportunity for Cbus to attempt poaching a promising NBA team.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Sorry guys, this pretty much suggests the NBA isn’t happening in Columbus anytime soon. The Cavs are enjoying very strong TV ratings in NE Ohio, as well as in Western PA (Pittsburgh), Western NY (Buffalo), and of course, here in Columbus/Central Ohio. I don’t see Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert wanting to divy that up between himself and anyone else, anytime soon, even after LeBron James is gone since the Cavs still ranked among the more watched teams, even in his absence. If the NBA were to expand in Ohio, it would probably go back to Cincy first.

Not to mention that an NBA team here would essentially be competing with Ohio State, the same problem that an NFL team would run into.

Honestly, of the three major sports leagues not represented here, I think Columbus might have the best chance with MLB. Although the Reds and Indians split Columbus fairly evenly for loyalties, neither have so much of an ingrained presence here that a new MLB franchise couldn’t take root, and Ohio State Baseball doesn’t draw anywhere near the same amount of attention and interest that Basketball and Football do. Promote the Clippers to an MLB team.

heresthecasey
    Participant

This

That’s a fake news story at a poorly designed site pretending to be ABC news.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

The tv viewership has little to do with approving and stopping a relocation in the nba. The nba charges a fee to teams that relocate into another media area. The fee is based on the proximity. Technically, by nba definition, columbus is not part of the cavs true media presence even though in reality it is. This means the fee would be much less than if a team were to move into the same city.

A columbus nba team would not have to fear of competing with OSU sports. OSU bball is very fair-weather. NBA teams generally do well even when the team lacks wins/talent. You always have a chance of paying to see a super star from another team. Also, to top it off Columbus has many young Asians that love the NBA and could care less about college. The Asian market is driving the NBA to a whole new place.

Now the bad. Columbus has no shot of an NBA team at this point in time. Seattle will be the first to receive a team. The NBA made a critical error when they allowed the move. It’s a point of conversation throughout the league, fans, and city. That was a great market for the league and it’s sad that they left over who will billed the stadium.

I wish all local governments would think long term when it comes to stadiums. I’m all for government spending on stadiums. Stadiums help, but only to a point. What needs to happen is the county/city gains a financial percentage of the team. This way our city will have more skin in the game and a better return. Billionaire’s and a billion dollar industry should not need a city to subsidize their business. But if they do, the best solution is to give up some ownership stake. Orlando recently did this with soccer. It allows the government to justify expenses but also makes it so the team can’t get pissy and up and leave.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    This

Umm that’s from the Plain Dealer.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

This

Oh my. I’m so sorry. Thanks for catching this. Mea culpa, everyone. *walks off in shame*

heresthecasey
    Participant

Oh my. I’m so sorry. Thanks for catching this. Mea culpa, everyone. *walks off in shame*

No worries. The same people actually have been fairly successful at fooling even real media outlets, as they did with the Cleveland Plain Dealer a few weeks ago…

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/04/we_made_a_big_mistake_over_the.html

?

wpcc88
    Participant

No worries. The same people actually have been fairly successful at fooling even real media outlets, as they did with the Cleveland Plain Dealer a few weeks ago…

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/04/we_made_a_big_mistake_over_the.html

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wpcc88 wrote:</div>

?

Sorry didn’t see the original post.

RedStorm
    Participant

I don’t see the NBA in Cbus for quite some time, if ever. As others said, Seattle is next in line most likely should they ever want to expand. While the facilities (Nationwide) are already in place in Columbus, I’m not sure the demand is there for a profitable team. Cleveland, Indianapolis, Detroit…all have teams within 2-3 hours of Columbus.

It’s the same reason Cleveland won’t get an NHL team. Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo all have teams. Just as Cleveland has a minor league team (doing well in the playoffs!) associated with the NHL team here in Columbus, we have a AAA baseball team associated with Cleveland’s MLB team. Clippers, Crew, Blue Jackets…plus Ohio State football/basketball and I think there is enough supply of sports entertainment in the market right now. I have trouble seeing a way that a Columbus NBA team sells tickets 41 nights a year when the CBJ play 41 home games and OSU men’s basketball plays 20+ home games a year.

bwitty92
    Participant

I agree with everything RedStorm said. OSU football is actually much bigger than a lot of NFL teams, at least in the local market, and I would venture to say the same about the basketball team when they are winning. Those are essentially two “pro” teams right there, in addition to the Crew (who’s fan base is growing every year), the Jackets (who have a healthy size fan base when they actually win), and the Clippers. When you look at it from that perspective, our sports landscape is just as crowded as any other city our size. While it would be cool to have an NBA team here, I don’t see it happening for quite a while. Maybe if we hit that 3 million mark for the metro area by 2050 we could find some room for an NBA team.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Completely disagree that OSU market when winning would be bigger than an NBA team to the city. OSU struggles with season tickets. The 1 and done rule hurts many colleges since it’s harder to stay consistent. It’s a lot easier to have up and downs in terms of wins/losses.

Columbus is actually one of the largest markets to not have a team. Orlando and other markets should be perfect proof that a team can be supported. The blue jackets are bad and can nab near 10,000 at points in an area that isn’t considered hockey USA. The star power is the driving force behind much of the nba. Even when your team is bad they can have excitable players. And worse case you see a road team that has players such as steph curry, wade, lebron, durant, and so on. Those fill the seats.

Few teams in the nba struggle with attendance for that very reason. Star power.

bwitty92
    Participant

Yes, OSU basketball struggles with ticket sales at times, especially the last few years, but many NBA teams do as well. My point is that our existing sports are big enough in the local market that it would be difficult for a new NBA team to fit in. I would think the Jackets would need to go if we wanted an NBA team here, and I would personally much prefer the Jackets over the NBA. Also, a city like Orlando is not a good comparison at all. Sure, the population is similar, but at the time the Magic started there were no pro sports in Orlando. Now, the only other pro sport is Orlando City, and on top of that there are no big time local college sports to compete with.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 407 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO