Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 407 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote >>
    as someone who even played college b-ball…
    i and 90% of everyone i know do not care about the nba what so ever

Of all the people I know reasonably well, I cannot think of very many who might actually want to spend money to see an NBA game.

But I recognize this isn’t exactly a representative sample of the entire population.

Antonio

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Schoolboy wrote >>

Of all the people I know reasonably well, I cannot think of very many who might actually want to spend money to see an NBA game.
    But I recognize this isn’t exactly a representative sample of the entire population.

Fair enough, it’s not for everyone, like all sporting events.

tree_sketcher
    Participant

Antonio wrote >>

zp945 wrote >>
    As someone who has paid for partial season tickets for the Cavs and driven 2.5 hours both ways to see the games…I would love for Columbus to land a team. For a city of our size we need another pro team. NFL, MLB aren’t going to happen. Bring on the NBA. Sadly, I don’t think it will happen. We would need a Mark Cuban type owner who was really invested in the city and the sport to make it work.

If one drew a circle 60 miles surrounding Natiowide arena, I’m guessing probably close to 3 million people inside that circle give or take a bit. Is that enough to make a team viable ?

imagine the market Cbus would serve with high speed rail access to the convention center…

Anyway, I dont know if Central Ohio has enough of a market to support two pro teams with generally the same season. I would think if we have an NBA team, the blue jackets would suffer. Could be wrong though.

Antonio

tree_sketcher wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

zp945 wrote >>
    As someone who has paid for partial season tickets for the Cavs and driven 2.5 hours both ways to see the games…I would love for Columbus to land a team. For a city of our size we need another pro team. NFL, MLB aren’t going to happen. Bring on the NBA. Sadly, I don’t think it will happen. We would need a Mark Cuban type owner who was really invested in the city and the sport to make it work.

If one drew a circle 60 miles surrounding Natiowide arena, I’m guessing probably close to 3 million people inside that circle give or take a bit. Is that enough to make a team viable ?

imagine the market Cbus would serve with high speed rail access to the convention center…
    Anyway, I dont know if Central Ohio has enough of a market to support two pro teams with generally the same season. I would think if we have an NBA team, the blue jackets would suffer. Could be wrong though.

Everything I’ve ever read for the most part NBA fans are not hockey fans and vice versa.

http://www.sportsjuke.com/2010/02/difference-between-fans-of-nba-and-nhl.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Antonio wrote >>

The Columbus Metro Area is around 2 million:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Ohio_metropolitan_area

The rest of that 60 mile circle would be pretty rural. Not sure if you’d have 3 million in that area.

Either way, I don’t know if the total number of people is the most important factor. Probably more about sports fans, disposable income, etc.

I mean… Green Bay only has a metro area of 282,000 and they can support an NFL team…

Antonio

Walker wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

The Columbus Metro Area is around 2 million:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Ohio_metropolitan_area
    The rest of that 60 mile circle would be pretty rural. Not sure if you’d have 3 million in that area.
    Either way, I don’t know if the total number of people is the most important factor. Probably more about sports fans, disposable income, etc.
    I mean… Green Bay only has a metro area of 282,000 and they can support an NFL team…

If the reach is 75 miles out it takes in the Dayton area. I know plenty of people as has been noted previously have taken that drive up to Cleveland, not so much this year, but in the Lebron days.

As noted to the east pretty much rural, south as well.

honavery

I really like the NBA (much more so than college basketball) and would love to see Columbus get a team. Don’t see it happening soon, but you never know I guess.

mBuckeyem
    Participant

I think that if a team were to move to Columbus it would have to be the Cavs. I believe it takes some kind of vote from the existing league owners and David Stern before a franchise moves or a new one is awarded. Right now I couldn’t see them alienating Dan Gilbert and the Cavs franchise by putting a team in Columbus. I think the Cavs have to rely on owning the Ohio market as well as parts of PA to support their team in order to make it. I don’t think the NBA has the same type of draw nationally/regionally as MLB and the NFL, so I don’t know that the Reds/Indians and Browns/Bengals situations would translate.

johnwirtz
    Participant

I think Columbus is too close to Cleveland for an NBA team. Cinci seems like a legitimate contender though, especially with how basketball-crazy nearby Kentucky is. Interesting that the Sacramento Kings were once the Cincinnati Royals (1957-1972). If Cincinnati is the Queen City, then maybe they could be the Cincinnati Queens.

sixby9is42

I don’t know, I think Ohio State is all Columbus can handle. We’re lucky we have the NHL here. Same thing with UT Austin, you don’t see any major sports teams there. The rest of Texas is already saturated, and I think Ohio is in the same situation.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>
    I think Columbus is too close to Cleveland for an NBA team. Cinci seems like a legitimate contender though, especially with how basketball-crazy nearby Kentucky is. Interesting that the Sacramento Kings were once the Cincinnati Royals (1957-1972). If Cincinnati is the Queen City, then maybe they could be the Cincinnati Queens.

I’m sure there would be something of a buzz factor generated if the Kings move back to Cincy, in the sense that they would be returning “home” after four decades. Maybe they would even revert back to the Royals?

Although Cincy seems to be a better choice for an NBA team from a unserved market perspective (think of nearby Louisville, Lexington and Kentucky in general), I see no reason why Columbus couldn’t host an NBA or an MLB team now or in the future (No NFL team could ever survive here for obvious reasons, plus all of the Browns/Bengals/Steelers fandom around, which already has the city divvied up).

We already have Nationwide Arena for the NBA. And as far as MLB goes, would it really be all that much trouble to upgrade the Clippers and Huntington Park?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

NEOBuckeye wrote >>
    We already have Nationwide Arena for the NBA. And as far as MLB goes, would it really be all that much trouble to upgrade the Clippers and Huntington Park?

Huntington park is not large. I was peripherally involved in the construction of the place, and I do not think they designed it with easy expansion in mind.

foxforcefive
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote >>
    it is all about money and “bling”, and does not follow the traditional rules of the game at all. which i don’t feel represents this city.
    would columbus support it? yes
    would it last in columbus? i don’t think so. cleveland is a better city for the nba and struggles enough pre or post the lebron era.

If you are talking about Cleveland struggling with game attendance, you are sadly mistaken.

2010 season with Lebron: 20,562/game (2nd in the league, all games sold out
    2011 season without Lebron: 20,343/game (3rd in the league, 10 wins)

Personally, I would get season tickets to NBA locally. Driving to Cleveland sucks.

anillo
    Participant

Whoa, they’re still drawing that many people? That’s pretty impressive (I don’t really follow the NBA so I don’t have really any idea how much they draw).

And the Packers are a pretty extreme (and for NFL/NBA/MLB, I believe the only) outlier as far as surrounding populations go. That being said though, it does depend a lot on the type of population, I believe the Tampa Bay Rays had low attendance at the end of last year despite being a playoff team.

Schoolboy
    Participant

foxforcefive wrote >>

Schoolboy wrote >>
    it is all about money and “bling”, and does not follow the traditional rules of the game at all. which i don’t feel represents this city.
    would columbus support it? yes
    would it last in columbus? i don’t think so. cleveland is a better city for the nba and struggles enough pre or post the lebron era.

If you are talking about Cleveland struggling with game attendance, you are sadly mistaken.
    2010 season with Lebron: 20,562/game (2nd in the league, all games sold out
    2011 season without Lebron: 20,343/game (3rd in the league, 10 wins)
    Personally, I would get season tickets to NBA locally. Driving to Cleveland sucks.

hey maybe gilbert will put the money up and actually live up to his words on winning a championship before lebron. if he doesn’t, you better believe ticket sales will be back to the pre lebron days within 3 more seasons. if he does, then ok… you are right cleveland will definitely keep up the support started by winning the lebron lottery. history really doesn’t make me a believer in gilbert’s statements, but then again it was gund who let boozer go… not gilbert.

i agree in that columbus’ best bet is buying a losing cavs team in 5 years or so. it makes much more sense from a demographic standpoint since we are the central city and cleveland and cinci should come to us for professional sporting events… but that just isn’t the case.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 407 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: