Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 407 total)
  • Author

johnwirtz
    Participant

I’m confused. Pickerington_Kyle said Columbus is sports hungry, but experts say we can’t support it? Something isn’t right.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

It’s not the size of the market, it’s the… well whatever.

Dallas is a huge market, and the Stars have some of the worst attendance figures in the NHL.

Can we extrapolate college sports to pro when it comes to popularity/attendance? OSU basketball way outdraws OSU hockey, which, even though I’ve never seen any numbers, I’m guessing way outdraws OSU soccer. So the Columbus Honey Badgers > CBJ > Crew?

Although by that logic, the Columbus Seamen NFL franchise would draw approximately 500k per game.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Experts have been wrong plenty of times. A quick thought by an expert is basically a guess. Keep in mind if it were up to experts and studies OKC would not have an NBA team. The mayor wanted a team and David Stern and the NBA shut it down with a quick No and wouldn’t discuss further. Oklahoma is a big college sports state. Without Katrina and New Orleans owner desperate to not lose the money OKC would never have had a team.

Worst case scenario using a 5 year look at attendance records for the NBA is roughly 13,000. The teams that have achieved that are the teams that are dead last with minimal wins. Dead last attendance teams don’t remain dead last consecutive years. With the way the draft is set up a dead last team can turn around and fill their arena immediately or at least at a level that is more than satisfactory.

NBA attendance should never be compared to NHL under any circumstance. One great player does not change a franchise around like it does in the NBA. Also, people don’t go to just see one player play which happens in the NBA. With smaller rosters it is easier to have many teams with superstars that bring out the fans. People will fill a stadium on even a bad team to see the superstars player. NHL doesn’t have that type of draw.

I’ll admit football can’t compete in this city. But there are very few areas where college basketball has that pull. Columbus is not that area. Also, Columbus has many international students and residents where NBA is huge where they are (specifically Asia) and college sports are meaningless.

Like the NBA or not, supporting the idea should be heavily considered with an open mind. Please read this article on the economic strain the NBA lockout produced on the city. Obviously a lockout is bad but I want to use this article to show the numbers that an NBA team brings to a city. Even the best NHL teams can’t say they bring an economic impact that matches what is listed in the article.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2011/11/breaking_down_the_per-game_los.html

I believe Columbus can support an NBA franchise and the franchise wouldn’t be a money pit or burden to the city.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    I’m confused. Pickerington_Kyle said Columbus is sports hungry, but experts say we can’t support it? Something isn’t right.

We listen to weather forecasters all the time and their not always right. I don’t feel like arguing much about this, but an NBA team would draw better then the Blue Jackets. Enough said.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    We listen to weather forecasters all the time and their not always right. I don’t feel like arguing much about this, but an NBA team would draw better then the Blue Jackets. Enough said.

Probably true. I’m just giving you a hard time. I think I get images of being literally sports hungry in my head and it makes me laugh.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    Probably true. I’m just giving you a hard time. I think I get images of being literally sports hungry in my head and it makes me laugh.

Here’s some sports hungry fans

johnwirtz
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:

Here’s some sports hungry fans

Still not eating sports though.

Elmo Blatch

If Oklahoma City can do it (and look at them now), why couldn’t Columbus? Just sayin’

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Elmo Blatch said:
    If Oklahoma City can do it (and look at them now), why couldn’t Columbus? Just sayin’

Oklahoma also got lucky. They got a franchise that was Kevin Durant’s first year. If Columbus were to get an NBA team and their first player was Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, or MKG. They might have a playoff bound team (that’s if one were to relocated like Sacramento or Milwaukee).

ehill27
    Participant

Countdown: Multi-sport towns comparable to Columbus
    Business First by Rick Rouan, Web coordinator
    Date: Friday, June 15, 2012, 12:26pm

Experts might be dashing Mayor Michael Coleman’s dreams of adding a National Basketball Association franchise to the tenant list at Nationwide Arena, but 10 cities have similar populations to Columbus and support two professional sports franchises.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2012/06/countdown-midwests-multi-sport-towns.html

GCrites80s
    Participant

And Miami can’t keep people in the seats. They show up for a quarter or two, have a couple beers and leave. Even with the team they have this year.

cheap

ehill27 said:
    Countdown: Multi-sport towns comparable to Columbus
    Business First by Rick Rouan, Web coordinator
    Date: Friday, June 15, 2012, 12:26pm

Experts might be dashing Mayor Michael Coleman’s dreams of adding a National Basketball Association franchise to the tenant list at Nationwide Arena, but 10 cities have similar populations to Columbus and support two professional sports franchises.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2012/06/countdown-midwests-multi-sport-towns.html

The Cincinnati Bengals were blacked out on several occasions last season because they could not sell out games despite making a run to the National Football League playoffs, and the second-place Cleveland Indians rank dead last in home attendance among Major League Baseball teams.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

cheap said:
    The Cincinnati Bengals were blacked out on several occasions last season because they could not sell out games despite making a run to the National Football League playoffs, and the second-place Cleveland Indians rank dead last in home attendance among Major League Baseball teams.

Cool. Columbus cannot be compared to Cincinnati and Cleveland. It’s been said a thousand times. Charlotte, Indy, Nashville, Buffalo, Milwaukee, and New Orleans have the same if not smaller size population as the Columbus Metro and they support two Big four sports teams. I think people would be pleasantly shocked how many people would go to a NBA game in Columbus. Actually, a few years ago Cleveland had a few games played at Value City Arena and if i’m correct they sold out.

FireEngine
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    Charlotte, Indy, Nashville, Buffalo, Milwaukee, and New Orleans have the same if not smaller size population as the Columbus Metro and they support two Big four sports teams.

None of those cities have an NBA and an NHL team. Since those leagues have the same season, each would have their dedicated fans and scavenge from the same casual fan pool.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

FireEngine said:
    None of those cities have an NBA and an NHL team. Since those leagues have the same season, each would have their dedicated fans and scavenge from the same casual fan pool.

Yea, because Hockey and NBA fans are real alike.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 407 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION