Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

This topic contains 406 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by Jeffersin Jeffersin 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 407 total)
  • Author

Antonio

Rumor is the Sacremento Kings are looking to move, possibly to the LA area. 3 teams in one area is a bit much.

Could Columbus support an NBA team at Nationwide or is Ohio State basketball just too much to overcome in this college town ?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Dedicated-Kings-fans-attempt-to-block-team-s-pos?urn=nba-324316

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Would never happen, period.

Brant
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not much of an expert on sports, but I think of the big three (NFL, NBA, MLB) that the NBA would have the best chance here in Columbus.

NFL would get outshined by OSU, and MLB + Clippers would be too much. Not to mention that we already have 2 MLB & NFL teams in Ohio, but only one NBA team.

There was a lot of buzz three years ago about the Sonics:

Rumor Mill: Columbus wants the SuperSonics

Antonio

Would take a combination of very wealthy Ohio investors ( Wexner and Company ) to make something like this happen.

Who ever thought Oklahoma City would get a team.

Arena district would really be rocking almost every night of the week, maybe too much.

Could easily see a lot of rivalry teams close by with the Cavs, Pistons and Pacers. Those fans travel and bring their money with them.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Not a huge fan of the name…

Antonio

Walker wrote >>

LOL , quick and clever.

BCNation
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

Columbus already has a King-

King Gambrinus.

But, I’d rather see this team move to Columbus–>

Because, as long as the Cavs are in Cleveland, they are destined for failure.

Schoolboy
    Participant

as someone who even played college b-ball…

i and 90% of everyone i know do not care about the nba what so ever

it is all about money and “bling”, and does not follow the traditional rules of the game at all. which i don’t feel represents this city.

would columbus support it? yes

would it last in columbus? i don’t think so. cleveland is a better city for the nba and struggles enough pre or post the lebron era.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

The New Orleans Hornets are also unlikely to survive in their current situation. The league wants to keep them in NO, but listening to David Stern, it sounds like the interested buyers are all from someplace else and looking to bring the team back to their hometown. If the league relents and sells to a non-New Orleans owner then Columbus would have as good a chance as any if we had the guy with the $$$ and the interest.

In a podcast with Bill Simmons, Stern said the cities with interest in the Hornets right now are Vancouver, Las Vegas, and Anaheim.

GCrites80s
    Participant

It would make sense for Columbus, Cincinnati or Pittsburgh to have an NBA team using a simple geographic analysis.

anillo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I’m not much of an expert on sports, but I think of the big three (NFL, NBA, MLB) that the NBA would have the best chance here in Columbus.
    NFL would get outshined by OSU, and MLB + Clippers would be too much. Not to mention that we already have 2 MLB & NFL teams in Ohio, but only one NBA team.

Agreed, unless one of the MLB/NFL teams from nearby moves to Columbus, I can’t see any way in the near future a team could be added.

Antonio

GCrites80s wrote >>
    It would make sense for Columbus, Cincinnati or Pittsburgh to have an NBA team using a simple geographic analysis.

I agreee, which city has the arena standing right now today of those three ?

Cincy has the US Bank arena which seats a little over 17,000 and has expressed some interest in nabbing an NBA team in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Bank_Arena

Nationwide arena can hold 19,500 configured for basketball

Pittsburgh has the new Consol arena, basketball seating for 19,100.

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/PittsburghPenguins/newindex.htm

zp945
    Participant

As someone who has paid for partial season tickets for the Cavs and driven 2.5 hours both ways to see the games…I would love for Columbus to land a team. For a city of our size we need another pro team. NFL, MLB aren’t going to happen. Bring on the NBA. Sadly, I don’t think it will happen. We would need a Mark Cuban type owner who was really invested in the city and the sport to make it work.

Antonio

zp945 wrote >>
    As someone who has paid for partial season tickets for the Cavs and driven 2.5 hours both ways to see the games…I would love for Columbus to land a team. For a city of our size we need another pro team. NFL, MLB aren’t going to happen. Bring on the NBA. Sadly, I don’t think it will happen. We would need a Mark Cuban type owner who was really invested in the city and the sport to make it work.

If one drew a circle 60 miles surrounding Natiowide arena, I’m guessing probably close to 3 million people inside that circle give or take a bit. Is that enough to make a team viable ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 407 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO