Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Navy Yard Shooting in DC

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Navy Yard Shooting in DC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

12 victims slain in Navy Yard shooting rampage; dead suspect ID’d

By Barbara Starr. Catherine E. Shoichet and Pamela Brown, CNN

updated 8:42 PM EDT, Mon September 16, 2013

Washington (CNN) — The FBI has identified the dead suspect in Monday’s shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old military contractor from Texas. But authorities are still searching for more information about him, and they’re asking members of the public for help.

READ MORE: http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/dc-navy-yard-gunshots/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

pez
    Participant

Must be a sign of how desensitized to this we’re becoming that the first appearance is a moderator post so many hours after the event. I remember driving home from Chicago about 15 years ago hearing about the Capitol Hill shootings on every AM station, even remember the name of one of the victims, Jacob Chestnut.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Been following it, are they still thinking it may be multiple shooters?

InnerCore
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Been following it, are they still thinking it may be multiple shooters?

No, they pretty much ruled that out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

pez said:
    Must be a sign of how desensitized to this we’re becoming that the first appearance is a moderator post so many hours after the event.

I didn’t really read any national/international news until later in the day today. Busy day in the office.

Coy
    Participant

So I just got back from some lobbying activities in DC.
    I woke up Monday morning and was just about to get ready when the news broke on TV.
    I was staying just a couple blocks from the Capitol, on the Senate side, about 2 miles NW from Navy Yard.
    Besides a lot of cops/secret service cars flying around, and a higher level of police presence around the Capitol and other buildings (lots of AR-15s out), we pretty much went about our business.
    That is, until we came out of a meeting in Sen. Brown’s office at 3ish and were told that the Senate offices had been put on lockdown.
    We missed our 4pm meeting, while no other building in the area was on lockdown.
    People were literally strolling by outside while we were stuck looking out.
    Was pretty comical in it’s absurdity and pointlessness.
    Pretty awesome response, 7 hours after the event
    Sometime close to 5, they let us out, but were only letting staffers back in.
    This morning, DC was back to normal… just more reporters around.

On a slightly creepy note, the hotel was booked for us but they initially were considering a hotel down closer to that area, possibly even the one the shooter stayed at…

Bear
    Participant

Schoolboy
    Participant

Personally, I just can’t take the way the media reports on these things anymore.

First it was multiple gunmen, with descriptions on who they were looking for.

Second it was 2 confirmed gunmen, one dead (who was a white male), and the other on the loose (who was a black male), with a possibility of a third.

Then it was just 1 gunman with multiple weapons including an AR-15 who was confirmed dead.

Last I heard it is now just the 1 gunmen, severly mentally disturbed, ex naval employee, with only a shotgun and possibly 1-2 handguns.

Basically, the initial reports are so incredibly off, that I can’t follow it anymore once they finally get it right. Why bother?

lattethunder
    Participant

Schoolboy said:
    Personally, I just can’t take the way the media reports on these things anymore.

First it was multiple gunmen, with descriptions on who they were looking for.

Second it was 2 confirmed gunmen, one dead (who was a white male), and the other on the loose (who was a black male), with a possibility of a third.

Then it was just 1 gunman with multiple weapons including an AR-15 who was confirmed dead.

Last I heard it is now just the 1 gunmen, severly mentally disturbed, ex naval employee, with only a shotgun and possibly 1-2 handguns.

Basically, the initial reports are so incredibly off, that I can’t follow it anymore once they finally get it right. Why bother?

+1

I mean… is there a wrongly killed white guy out there? I can’t even comprehend the whole event with so much mis information.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION