Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Natural Gas and Third Party Suppliers

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Natural Gas and Third Party Suppliers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Parker
    Participant

I’ve been solicited 5 times (and these are just the people I remember) in person, and receive weekly solicitations by natural gas suppliers promising to save me money. Each one has the same story: they will save me money in the winter by locking in the current summer rate, and more recently they will still lock in the summer rate.

Just Friday, I received two solicitations in the mail as well as this months Columbia Gas bill. Both solicitations tout a wonderful $0.75 per ccf. That’s what I paid last winter (actually $0.76). Then I open my bill and check what Columbia charges me now… $0.41 per ccf. Wow, what a savings.

Has anyone actually saved with one of these third party suppliers?

Lakee911
    Participant

I actually have a differnt supplier, although at the moment I forget who. I’ve been using third party suppliers since probably 2002 or 2003. Need to do your research and read contracts/terms closely. There is a lot of misinformation and companies looking to rip you off.

My opinion is that gas rates are going to go up, so I’d rather lock in my rate at a bit higher and know that it can’t go up. You never know what international or national crisis is going to cause prices to skyrocket one month/day.

agtw31

there is a glut of natural gas.
    there is so much of it,they are running out of storage.
    choosing a natural gas supplier is a ripoff of the highest degree.

when pressed with serious questions all this natural gas supplier did wass evade the questions.

they don’t save you any money.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

We get solicitations, too, usually from someone very perky and enthusiastic.

Meh. If it’s worth someone’s time to insert themselves as a middleman, then I figure it’s a net loss for me.

agtw31

cc

The new bunch of telemarketing calls want to lock you into a price of $.88 per cubic foot. The current rate of Columbia Gas is approx $.40.

agtw31

cc wrote >>
    The new bunch of telemarketing calls want to lock you into a price of $.88 per cubic foot. The current rate of Columbia Gas is approx $.40.

if they are calling you,do this:

http://www.donotcall.gov

Lakee911
    Participant

If you do want to choose a supplier, then choose one on yuor own…do not let them choose you. If they come door to door, just send them on your way.

Agtw31, with the state of the economy as is and demand low, it may not be necessary right now. *shrug*

Parker
    Participant

This is what I thought the case was. I can see Lakee911’s wanting to lock in a rate if thinking long term. But without doing the math, I’m not sure what the long term savings would be. We’ve gotten so many telemarketer calls (believe it or not they are almost all suppliers calling) that we quit answering the phone during certain hours.

Last years Dispatch article reflects my experience just in price comparison (have not sign on despite their persistence).

Thanks for the input everyone!

agtw31

the main boiler room calling you is actually right here in Dublin.just tell them to take you off of their calling list,and sign up for the national do not call list.

if you look on the front page of your Columbia gas bill,it does state that through the Customer Choice program,the utility has to provide suppliers with your personal information,unless you opt out.

some utility customers actually can save money on this program because of the volume of the customer base the utility has,but the taxes you pay counter any savings.

for example,in the past few years,gas rates from suppliers are pretty good for Dominion gas customers in the Cleveland area.the profit for the supplier may be lower,but the supplier makes money off the volume in those areas.

at the same time,that same supplier will rape a Columbia gas customer to counter that Dominion price.

this scam has been around for years,since de-regulation of the industry.

Parker
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    the main boiler room calling you is actually right here in Dublin.just tell them to take you off of their calling list,and sign up for the national do not call list.
    if you look on the front page of your Columbia gas bill,it does state that through the Customer Choice program,the utility has to provide suppliers with your personal information,unless you opt out.

I think I will opt out – thanks!

Twixlen
    Participant

The suppliers that are calling are buying their gas from Columbia gas – since that’s who (mostly) owns the pipes putting it to your house….

The folks that got into 3rd party when oil spiked to $150 got screwed on the back side, since they were in it for a year, and prices fell astronomically.

Also – in the event of an emergency, it’s better to be a customer of the one who’ll end up fixing your problem (the third party cannot, will not).

I get why some folks have done it – and I think some people do well (especially if they can not be in a long term contract), but it’s a pretty darn big risk.

agtw31

Columbia gas is simply the paper boy for gas.they deliver it.

they get it off the same open market these suppliers do.

the big difference?

the suppliers are brokers,Columbis Gas is simply passing on the true cost of the gas.

it’s very easy to get out of a contract with a third party supplier.

simply change the name on the bill.

the contract is with the person on the bill.

change that and they are kicked off the service.it royally pisses them off,too.

these suppliers actually have created their own collections dept to call and harrass folks,because it’s easy,and big money.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.