Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Nationwide Realty buys more land in Franklinton

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Nationwide Realty buys more land in Franklinton

This topic contains 52 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by MichaelC MichaelC 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Linky.

NWD Franklinton LLC, a real estate development affiliate of the Arena District developer, paid $1 million for a vacant 2.3-acre parcel along West Broad Street, directly west of railroad tracks running through the Scioto Peninsula, show public records.

Check out the map at the bottom of the Business First article showing all the land NW owns on the peninsula.

WJT
    Participant

I wish CU could pry some info loose from Nationwide regarding any plans or intentions for all of this land. We all know they are not acquiring it just for fun-they have plans however vague they may or may not be. Plus I wish we had more info on what might be in store for the west of Belle part of the Scioto Peninsula. Given all of the speculation about East Franklinton, we have not heard a peep about the Scioto Peninsula part of Downtown Columbus except for the Vets Memorial and the (wonderful!) news of the go ahead for the underground lot/park space to the west of COSI.

Also I wish Walker could give a few hints about what he knows regarding ‘something’ planned for Long Street…c’mon Walker lol. I am dying to know! Any hints on any ‘knowledge’ that is not yet able to be released to the public? :P

As long as something unforeseen does not happen(like another recession) I think East Franklinton is going to have some major developments coming and I love it and where it seems to be headed!

PLus what about that building plan for the old public housing site that was sent back by the city because *gasp* the city wanted something taller by the river?

lbl
    Participant

its great that development will be coming, though not exactly sure why NRI has been sitting on their hands so long to start digging. its not like they need to wait for the loan to get approved. . .
    and it would also be a nice surprise it all the buildings here weren’t the same ol’ big brick boxes, like the Arena Dist build-out.
    some imagination is needed I guess.

ohbr
    Participant

I don’t know if I’m expecting any news. If something is planned, great, but I get a sense of long term here. They still have to fill Arena West, and West Long at McPherson Commons. I don’t get the vibe of impending big news for this spot. I would like to hear big news, but I won’t be surprised if we don’t here anything definitive for awhile.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The next big news in the peninsula will have to do with the museums, IMO.

But I agree, it would be great to know what Nationwide’s contemplating in this area.

There are four areas with a lot of movement but not much public: this on the peninsula, Wolfe’s plans at 3rd and State, the Long Street corridor between CCAD and 3rd, and those museums…

ohbr
    Participant

<br>
    and it would also be a nice surprise it all the buildings here weren’t the same ol’ big brick boxes, like the Arena Dist build-out.<br>
    some imagination is needed I guess.

Agreed. I don’t have a problem if it’s uniform like Arena Distrcit, but I’m looking for a different style and feel with Franklinton. Something more modern, edgy, artsy, etc.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Cough cough cough. Mapfre Stadium. If only….

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Cough cough cough. Mapfre Stadium. If only….

Wouldn’t it be funny if Nationwide Insurance built a new Mapfre Stadium? Ha.

But seriously, a stadium would be wonderful…I’m just not sure this is big enough, for a stadium and the necessary parking?

ohbr
    Participant

I don’t think I’ll ever see the argument for moving the soccer stadium downtown/downtown adjacent. It’s in a great location as is. Adjacent to the densest neighborhood in Columbus where many people walk to the stadium. Easy access for those that don’t, admittedly with the exception of public transit. I just want the city and state to come to an agreement to redevelop the area between 71 and the railroad tracks to be more like a stadium village. Better pedestrian experience from one side of the tracks to the other as well. If that involves building parking structures for the fairgrounds, OHS, and Crew to share, so be it, but I’d rather not see such a limited use facility take up a ton of room downtown. The exception might have been the White Castle site, but that idea died real quick. At least the Arena is multi-use and Huntington hosts multiple games a week through much of the year.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

I don’t think I’ll ever see the argument for moving the soccer stadium downtown/downtown adjacent. It’s in a great location as is. Adjacent to the densest neighborhood in Columbus where many people walk to the stadium. Easy access for those that don’t, admittedly with the exception of public transit. I just want the city and state to come to an agreement to redevelop the area between 71 and the railroad tracks to be more like a stadium village. Better pedestrian experience from one side of the tracks to the other as well. If that involves building parking structures for the fairgrounds, OHS, and Crew to share, so be it, but I’d rather not see such a limited use facility take up a ton of room downtown. The exception might have been the White Castle site, but that idea died real quick. At least the Arena is multi-use and Huntington hosts multiple games a week through much of the year.

Well, a few things I’m not really a big fan of with the current stadium. First, the stadium itself isn’t great and wasn’t built for large crowds. Becomes really obvious during big international games. Bathroom lines take a half hour and it can take 45 minutes to leave the stadium. Location-wise, I get that it’s close to campus, but I feel like you’d pull in a ton more foot traffic if it was easily accessible downtown. And you’d want a stadium to benefit the surrounding businesses. Apart from Ruby Tuesday, it doesn’t seem to do much. In Franklinton, this would be a neighborhood starter and surrounding businesses would pop up like weeds.

Right now, Crew Stadium is great for the diehards. And that may not be so bad. But the Crew are irrelevant to the masses. And that’s a shame, because it’s such a great team. I feel like you could pull in a lot more casual foot traffic for a different location. It’s just not a good location for the casual fan who might be just a little too far away and won’t want to deal with the cost and hassle of driving there. Huntington pulls in a ton of casual fans who don’t care about baseball. I look at the new stadium in Kansas City and how it went from slumping attendance to constant sellouts. Just my opinion, but I understand where you’re coming from because it’s a great experience for diehards.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I’d echo everything stated above.

And making the probably unrealistic assumption that this is the plan: It should not be built solely to accommodate the Crew; it can and should be a flexible facility that could also accommodate concerts, other sporting events, etc.

Assuming that NW’s plan is not to build a soccer stadium downtown, my guess is we would see a majority residential development of mid-rise condos and apartments and townhomes, intermixed with some retail and commercial.

NW’s modus operandi has been to “subsidize” their real estate efforts by placing NW jobs in the immediate vicinity, but I’m not sure that would be part of NW’s hand this time around. It may not need it for a development like this, given the proximity to all the jobs across the river.

ohbr
    Participant

I am not a diehard by any means, in fact I am not a soccer fan. I would fall onto the casual observer category because my friends are diehards. I agree that the current stadium isn’t that great. But again I fall back to pulling in the casual passerby for 16ish days a year? Part of the reason Huntington attracts so many casual people is the sheer amount of home events, particularly at the end of a work day. It was built to see, unimposing to the passerby. Not to mention, it’s a completely different feel. It has that casual feel in and of itself. If you’re wanting a larger, better stadium, you’re probably not going to attract that casual goer unless you’re careful to incorporate some of that casual atmosphere into the stadium itself. If it’s truly multi-use, fine, but in looking at Sporting Park, if that’s the right one, it’s not the location, it’s the park design. The new soccer stadium is 10 miles out of the city. That would be basically outside of 270. Their attendance isn’t up because of casual foot traffic. It’s built next to a speedway and a mall. They took some of the unimposing design elements we see at parks like Huntington and translated to soccer and that’s great. That’s how you get the casual observer. I completely agree with that. They should do that with the Crew Stadium. I just don’t think that needs to be downtown.

But anyway, back to NRI. Would be interesting if they put NW offices in Franklinton. I had assumed they were going to put new offices on Long bc they said they were going to announce a new downtown office at some point, but Franklinton may not be a bad bet either.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

I am not a diehard by any means, in fact I am not a soccer fan. I would fall onto the casual observer category because my friends are diehards. I agree that the current stadium isn’t that great. But again I fall back to pulling in the casual passerby for 16ish days a year? Part of the reason Huntington attracts so many casual people is the sheer amount of home events, particularly at the end of a work day. It was built to see, unimposing to the passerby. Not to mention, it’s a completely different feel. It has that casual feel in and of itself. If you’re wanting a larger, better stadium, you’re probably not going to attract that casual goer unless you’re careful to incorporate some of that casual atmosphere into the stadium itself. If it’s truly multi-use, fine, but in looking at Sporting Park, if that’s the right one, it’s not the location, it’s the park design. The new soccer stadium is 10 miles out of the city. That would be basically outside of 270. Their attendance isn’t up because of casual foot traffic. It’s built next to a speedway and a mall. They took some of the unimposing design elements we see at parks like Huntington and translated to soccer and that’s great. That’s how you get the casual observer. I completely agree with that. They should do that with the Crew Stadium. I just don’t think that needs to be downtown.

But anyway, back to NRI. Would be interesting if they put NW offices in Franklinton. I had assumed they were going to put new offices on Long bc they said they were going to announce a new downtown office at some point, but Franklinton may not be a bad bet either.

I’m kind of torn on this. I want more stuff, more density downtown so that’s my bias. But there’s a part of me that also feels like Franklinton can be a really interesting neighborhood with its own unique flavor. I feel like this could be a great opportunity to build the affordable housing downtown badly needs and that Franklinton is a great place to do it. But wouldn’t complain if it ended up being offices.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I feel like this could be a great opportunity to build the affordable housing downtown badly needs and that Franklinton is a great place to do it.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this.

Whatever comes, may it embrace the neighborhood and its history–architecturally and otherwise.

jOHnH
    Participant

Serious question, what should developers embrace architecturally in Franklinton? Most of the buildings in this part of Franklinton are old warehouses/factories or cement block garages. What would the design need to look like to be embracing the architecture of Franklinton? It really has become the new art district of Columbus, with 400 Rich and Independents’ Day Fest. Would most people want to see the arts embraced with new development and designs? Franklinton to me, seems to lack an architectural uniqueness and I am always confused when people call for that embrace in new development for the area.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.