Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Nationwide Children's Hospital - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Nationwide Children's Hospital – News & Discussion

This topic contains 118 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 119 total)
  • Author

bman
    Participant

Walker said:
    Even if that KFC location closed, the company would have sat on the land waiting for a sale. Could have even leased the space to another restaurant.

Children’s Hospital didn’t get played at all. They had to pay a premium for that corner.

Agree…fmv was paid.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I really enjoyed watching Children’s build around that tiny KFC. While I won’t necessarily be sad to see them go (for the overall Master Plans of the hospital not for a grudge against KFC employees) I’m glad Children’s continues to expand, I hope it will help anchor the surrounding neighborhood (Livingston to the East/East Whittier, etc.,).

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

That KFC looked like the house in the movie “UP” with that parking Garage around 50 percent of it.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Yea, it was dwarfed by surrounding development. I hope whatever they choose to build there is big enough to cover up that parking garage.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    That KFC looked like the house in the movie “UP” with that parking Garage around 50 percent of it.

Haven’t you heard? Children’s isn’t going to demolish the KFC building. They’re going to float the building away with balloons to Paradise Falls. ;)

News
    Participant

Hospital projects provide prescription for job growth
    By Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Monday February 13, 2012 7:04 AM

The new hospitals and research buildings rising over the newly renamed Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University and Nationwide Children’s Hospital campuses are more than massive steel and concrete structures. They are job creators. These projects, together valued at $1.94 billion and covering 3.5 million square feet of hospital and research space, are expected to create 8,400 permanent, full-time jobs.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/02/13/prescription-for-job-growth.html

Cbusbill
    Participant

News said:
    Hospital projects provide prescription for job growth
    By Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Monday February 13, 2012 7:04 AM

The new hospitals and research buildings rising over the newly renamed Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University and Nationwide Children’s Hospital campuses are more than massive steel and concrete structures. They are job creators. These projects, together valued at $1.94 billion and covering 3.5 million square feet of hospital and research space, are expected to create 8,400 permanent, full-time jobs.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/02/13/prescription-for-job-growth.html

Greatly informative article. Helps put Econ 101 in real world terms. These projects are almost unimaginable in their scope of impact on our community. No matter where in central Ohio you live/work, 5 years from now you’ll likely see the impact of one/both of these projects (if you haven’t already) in your life. It will be like adding the city of Westerville to our metro area almost overnight.

cheap

“When I look at this building, I see an opportunity to impact the lives of thousands of people who have cancer and are critically ill,” said David Schuller, a physician and vice president of the OSU Medical Center Expansion and Outreach.

translation:cash cow

leftovers

Didn’t realize they were adding 6,000 new jobs on OSU main campus (Wexner Medical Center). That is massive and even more than at Children’s on the East Side. I think this might help speed along the Wagnebrenner stuff in Weinland Park.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

heresthecasey
    Participant

That parking garage is obscene.

Absolutely criminal that thing was allowed to go up as-is.

jbcmh81
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    That parking garage is obscene.

Absolutely criminal that thing was allowed to go up as-is.

Totally agree. It’s 1970s utilitarian. Just one of the homes bulldozed for that had more character in one room.

News
    Participant

Harry Connick Jr. To Kick-Off Celebration For Nationwide Children’s Hospital New Main Campus
    Wednesday March 21, 2012 4:52 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Nationwide Children’s Hospital will celebrate the completion of its new main campus with the help of a three-time Grammy award winner. Harry Connick Jr. will headline The Opening Gala, slated for Saturday, June 9, in the new main hospital building and surrounding campus. The new main campus will be the largest pediatric expansion ever undertaken in the U.S., according to hospital officials.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/03/21/columbus-harry-connick-jr-to-headline-nationwide-childrens-hospital-gala.html

News
    Participant

melikecheese
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    Totally agree. It’s 1970s utilitarian. Just one of the homes bulldozed for that had more character in one room.

That parking garage was not part of the project and was already in place for a long time. Nothing was demolished to build it, they just removed the KFC that was in the weird corner in front of it.

This entire corner is looking really nice with all the trees and grass planted. The Scrambler Maries is now open and while eating their this weekend I was impressed that I even thought about going to Livingston and Parsons for breakfast! The foods great, its like First Watch before First Watch decided to cut corners and their food turned into a greasy sloppy gross mess.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 119 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.