Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Nationwide building 5-story office at Front and Nationwide

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Nationwide building 5-story office at Front and Nationwide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author

NerosNeptune
    Participant

When walking by Sensenbrenner plaza, I usually feel like it’s a place I’m not supposed to go in. It seems like its a nice entrance to the buildings rather than a place for people to sit. I was pretty surprised one day to see the sign saying it was part of the city park system.

Maybe if the skywalk wasn’t there it would seem more inviting.. though from some pictures I just found on wikipedia it doesn’t look like there are even any benches there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:
    As far as the Nationwide/High corner, it’s too small for anything else…

That’s debatable. ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

^^Maybe a transit station or something like an art museum, but I can’t see an office building there. It would have to have a pretty small footprint.

columbusmike
    Participant

^ Maybe the little corner lot could make for a low-rise retail space (i.e. coffee shop or small lunch restaurant). Plus, there’s no reason Nationwide Blvd needs to be that wide…the city could convert some of that pavement for street parking for a new development in that spot.

Otherwise, the corner of Nationwide and High is a complete wasteland. Minus the teenagers.

columbusmike
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    ^^Maybe a transit station or something like an art museum, but I can’t see an office building there. It would have to have a pretty small footprint.

Actually, that got me thinking that a really tall modern art museum in that lot would be pretty cool. There is no context, so whatever would go here could be architecturally outrageous. See examples at all four corners of this intersection.

Maybe like this?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    Plus, there’s no reason Nationwide Blvd needs to be that wide…the city could convert some of that pavement for street parking for a new development in that spot.

I like that Nationwide Blvd east of High has a median. Could be extended from High to Front. Some trees in the median would look nice.

colrex7

Columbus does lack a contemporary art museum. There are museums that showcase contemporary art in Columbus, but it would be nice to have a centralized facility, one that might be a modern structure itself. Personally, when I visit cities one of the first things I look for are what museums they offer, especially the contemporary.

I could see this site work in the future if something does emerge.

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker said:
    I like that Nationwide Blvd east of High has a median. Could be extended from High to Front. Some trees in the median would look nice.

I like that….plus a bike lane :)

colrex7 said:
    Columbus does lack a contemporary art museum. There are museums that showcase contemporary art in Columbus, but it would be nice to have a centralized facility, one that might be a modern structure itself. Personally, when I visit cities one of the first things I look for are what museums they offer, especially the contemporary.

I could see this site work in the future if something does emerge.

A museum could front High Street and hop across both sets of train tracks and butt up against the new hotel. It actually would make a lot of sense to do this, because you could have the museum loading dock down at convention center drive.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Actually, that got me thinking that a really tall modern art museum in that lot would be pretty cool. There is no context, so whatever would go here could be architecturally outrageous. See examples at all four corners of this intersection.

Maybe like this?

I like it, i wish Columbus did have a new cool type art museum to compete against Canton, Cleveland, and Cincinnati.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I like that….plus a bike lane :)

A museum could front High Street and hop across both sets of train tracks and butt up against the new hotel. It actually would make a lot of sense to do this, because you could have the museum loading dock down at convention center drive.

Yea thats the perfect spot, You could go to a convention, an art gallery, the new museum, a concert/sporting event (at LC Pavilion/Huntington Park/Nationwide Arena). That would fit almost perfectly. Plus a transit station….. ooh..

bjones7
    Participant

columbusmike said:

Maybe like this?

Wishful thinking! Last time I checked Columbus does not support the Arts like other cities. On a positive note, awesome design! If we had people in Columbus who could design like this, then they would of never hired that guy from New York to design the Nuclear Reactor along the Scioto mile in the 1st place!

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

now i’m just spit-balling here, but what if it was an old artifact museum? Like old ship memorabilia items. etc…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

colrex7 said:
    Columbus does lack a contemporary art museum.

No we don’t.

columbusmike
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    Wishful thinking! Last time I checked Columbus does not support the Arts like other cities. On a positive note, awesome design! If we had people in Columbus who could design like this, then they would of never hired that guy from New York to design the Nuclear Reactor along the Scioto mile in the 1st place!

Columbus does have people that can design like this! This is the exact mentality that is the problem. Most clients in Columbus assume no one in Columbus can do good design, so they go elsewhere abandoning designers who truly understand the nuances, life, and culture of our city.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    Columbus does have people that can design like this! This is the exact mentality that is the problem. Most clients in Columbus assume no one in Columbus can do good design, so they go elsewhere abandoning designers who truly understand the nuances, life, and culture of our city.

+1

Columbus actually has a pretty large pool of talented creative firms, from architects to branding to marketing and beyond.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: