Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Nationwide building 5-story office at Front and Nationwide

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Nationwide building 5-story office at Front and Nationwide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    Oh I know, I have heard the same. My point about building just to build is not really related to a time scale, but more about the thinking that having a building, any building, is all that’s really important.

I think that having any building at all is vastly more important than a surface parking lot. ;)

Is it ideal? No. Is is ideal realistic? No.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Nationwide is bringing 1,000 more jobs downtown, removing a surface parking lot and continuing its massive investment in this city and its downtown.

So the facility doesn’t make any breakthroughs; big freakin’ deal. With the country slogging through the recession, Columbus continues to forge ahead. This is wonderful news no matter how you slice it.

When the economy improves and company’s are willing to be more innovative in their construction, then we’ll all welcome the news. Indeed, it’s wonderful that everyone’s expectations are so high–complacency is not desirable. But when companies are sitting on hordes of cash, Columbus businesses continue to invest in this city and its people.

JAL
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    I guess I will add to the complaints… but 5 stories? If we’re going to get new office buildings in the area, shouldn’t they at least be a little taller than your typical I-270 suburban building? I’m glad that Nationwide continues to invest Downtown, but they treat the area as if its Dublin. I don’t mind the brick look, to me it’s classic, but I’d like to see Downtown treated like a downtown. More height please.

If i’m not mistaken most buildings planned anymore try to stay below 75 feet in height to avoid the changes required in the (Columbus) fire code for the taller buildings. I believe once they get above that height, costs begin to skyrocket. If there are any architechs out there maybe they can verify this. So shorter height-wise, but larger across the ground buildings seem to be the future. As for the bland brink copy-cat design,it appears that the plan is to keep all the buildings facing into the Arena district to all look very similar. I guess it creates a special visual environment. I think that is why the part of the building facing the Arena is the basic brink building (like all the rest), and the part of the building facing High St is all glass so that the side fits in better with the more modern concrete and glass buildings along that area of High St.

futureman
    Participant

MichaelC said:
    Nationwide is bringing 1,000 more jobs downtown, removing a surface parking lot and continuing its massive investment in this city and its downtown.

According to the business first article the actual jobs being moved downtown is 1,900 not 1,000 :)

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/09/02/nationwide-oks-downtown-office.html

surber17
    Participant

MichaelC said:

So the facility doesn’t make any breakthroughs; big freakin’ deal. With the country slogging through the recession, Columbus continues to forge ahead. This is wonderful news no matter how you slice it.

When the economy improves and company’s are willing to be more innovative in their construction, then we’ll all welcome the news. Indeed, it’s wonderful that everyone’s expectations are so high–complacency is not desirable. But when companies are sitting on hordes of cash, Columbus businesses continue to invest in this city and its people.

+1 ……. I didn’t expect anything in this spot so this is a huge plus to me! And the office space is already filled so I don’t really see any issue here.

surber17
    Participant

Also, this just adds to the talk that 2012 is the year of development! Tons of new stuff being built.

columbusmike
    Participant

The fact that over 1,000 more people will be downtown is a huge bonus. This will likely spur more private investment which will draw more downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    The fact that over 1,000 more people will be downtown is a huge bonus. This will likely spur more private investment which will draw more downtown.

Great news for all of the surrounding businesses for weekday lunch and happy hour traffic. ;)

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

They are not messing around..work has started at the site! I drove past a few hours ago.

News
    Participant

Pedestrian path in limbo at new Nationwide office project
    Date: Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Approval for a five-story building at West Nationwide Boulevard and North Front Street for Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. proved a stroll in the park for the insurance giant’s real estate development arm even though the route a pedestrian path will take through the site remains somewhat unsettled.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2011/09/28/pedestrian-path-in-limbo-at-new.html

News
    Participant

Bonds expected to help expand Vine St. parking
    By Lucas Sullivan
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Tuesday October 4, 2011 8:00 AM

Franklin County commissioners are expected to issue $16 million worth of bonds today to double the size of a parking garage near the North Market and Greater Columbus Convention Center that will provide much-needed parking in the Short North and Arena District.

Two floors will be added on top of the garage and another parking bay added on the south side. The garage comes as Nationwide is spending $26 million to construct a building at 10 W. Nationwide Blvd., which is expected to be completed by the end of 2012.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/04/bonds-expected-to-help-expand-vine-st–parking.html

surber17
    Participant

They are making a ton of progress on this everyday!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ve been impressed by how quickly the dirt is moving there. Need to get over there with my camera sometime. ;)

columbusmike
    Participant

Has anyone been over to the Nationwide site with a camera? Last time I passed it seemed like they were progressing quickly.

surber17
    Participant

Footers are being poured. Should see this grow soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!