Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Nationwide building 5-story office at Front and Nationwide

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Nationwide building 5-story office at Front and Nationwide

This topic contains 81 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by MichaelC MichaelC 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo said:
    Isn’t that space the location of an eventual train station?

No, that plan was for the other side of High Street in that location that is currently a drop-off spot for the Convention Center:

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #7 – 3C Station

cbustransit
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I’m mostly disappointed they aren’t “capping” the railroad tracks and using that space in front of the building as a lawn/park for concerts, etc right there on High Street…

I thought we got our downtown lawn with the opening of the Columbus field. Sorry. Commons.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I guess I will add to the complaints… but 5 stories? If we’re going to get new office buildings in the area, shouldn’t they at least be a little taller than your typical I-270 suburban building? I’m glad that Nationwide continues to invest Downtown, but they treat the area as if its Dublin. I don’t mind the brick look, to me it’s classic, but I’d like to see Downtown treated like a downtown. More height please.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Hopefully soon we will see something very impressive in design announced for downtown. Something tall, modern, and sleek. Columbus needs an iconic building..im tired of the Rhodes tower being the tallest building.

jbcmh81
    Participant

The Rhodes Tower is an abomination of architecture.

Stephen43215 said:
    Hopefully soon we will see something very impressive in design announced for downtown. Something tall, modern, and sleek. Columbus needs an iconic building..im tired of the Rhodes tower being the tallest building.

That would be nice to see, but in the current economic climate and high office vacancy rate it’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.
    We need to focus on filling in the many gaps with low rise pedestrian friendly building, with a focus on residential rather than office. If the success of the Short North could flow south to GV, High Street could be just as interesting as Michigan Ave.

jbcmh81
    Participant

RoundTowner said:
    That would be nice to see, but in the current economic climate and high office vacancy rate it’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.
    We need to focus on filling in the many gaps with low rise pedestrian friendly building, with a focus on residential rather than office. If the success of the Short North could flow south to GV, High Street could be just as interesting as Michigan Ave.

High Street has huge potential Downtown, and I think the city is only just starting to tap into that again. Office vacancy rates in the area are around 17%, according to the Dispatch, and are falling. Not sure if that is due to office space being converted to residential, more office space being used, or a combination. We probably need to see vacancy rates near or below 10% to see increased interest in larger office buildings again. Or we need to have one of the many suburban companies decide to move Downtown, which I don’t think is likely.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    I guess I will add to the complaints… but 5 stories? If we’re going to get new office buildings in the area, shouldn’t they at least be a little taller than your typical I-270 suburban building? I’m glad that Nationwide continues to invest Downtown, but they treat the area as if its Dublin. I don’t mind the brick look, to me it’s classic, but I’d like to see Downtown treated like a downtown. More height please.

The average building height of the Short North is 2-3 stories, and it’s the most vibrant urban portion of our city.

Skyscrapers look nice on postcards, but in terms of day-to-day life, they’re largely symbolic.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    The average building height of the Short North is 2-3 stories, and it’s the most vibrant urban portion of our city.

Skyscrapers look nice on postcards, but in terms of day-to-day life, they’re largely symbolic.

True, but at the same time, I see nothing that says a taller building reduces pedestrian potential so long as the bottom floors are utilized in that way. This new building doesn’t bring anything to the table in retail either. I know it’s development and that’s always going to be better than nothing, but at the same time, I get tired of Columbus seemingly always going for just the bare minimum of what can be done. This is prime real estate for the city, and once it’s done, it’s going to be that much harder to change. The Convention Center discussion is on the same line of thinking. We settled and now that side of High is dead save for people walking past it to other areas.

dru
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    True, but at the same time, I see nothing that says a taller building reduces pedestrian potential so long as the bottom floors are utilized in that way. This new building doesn’t bring anything to the table in retail either. I know it’s development and that’s always going to be better than nothing, but at the same time, I get tired of Columbus seemingly always going for just the bare minimum of what can be done. This is prime real estate for the city, and once it’s done, it’s going to be that much harder to change. The Convention Center discussion is on the same line of thinking. We settled and now that side of High is dead save for people walking past it to other areas.

even though these new buildings may not include new retail, the concentration of workers that Nationwide is bringing back downtown + the relocation of Columbia, FBI etc… may do a lot towards helping actually fill in the empty retail frontage in the Arena Crossing and along Nationwide Blvd. once those fill in, NRI might feel compelled to add more retail frontage. retail needs patrons, these buildings are bringing potential patronage.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    I get tired of Columbus seemingly always going for just the bare minimum of what can be done.

Who are you referring to as “Columbus”? Nationwide/NRI is the one developing this project. It’s private development, not something The City of Columbus is doing.

As far as approvals go, the Downtown Commission and Columbus City Council can make some changes, alterations or suggestions, but it’s unrealistic to think that they can tell Nationwide to build something 10 times taller and 100 times more expensive.

Don’t get me wrong… I’d love to see some more taller buildings Downtown… but the important thing at the end of the day is that this announcement is a very good thing as is. Being disappointed that it’s not some sort of imaginary ideal situation seems a bit silly to me. Sort of like finding a $20 bill on the ground and immediately getting upset that it wasn’t a briefcase filled with 10 million dollars.

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker, if you have any free floating $20 bills, I will not be disappointed finding them!

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    Who are you referring to as “Columbus”? Nationwide/NRI is the one developing this project. It’s private development, not something The City of Columbus is doing.

As far as approvals go, the Downtown Commission and Columbus City Council can make some changes, alterations or suggestions, but it’s unrealistic to think that they can tell Nationwide to build something 10 times taller and 100 times more expensive.

Don’t get me wrong… I’d love to see some more taller buildings Downtown… but the important thing at the end of the day is that this announcement is a very good thing as is. Being disappointed that it’s not some sort of imaginary ideal situation seems a bit silly to me. Sort of like finding a $20 bill on the ground and immediately getting upset that it wasn’t a briefcase filled with 10 million dollars.

I speak to “Columbus” in general terms. As I said, development is great, but it still seems like building to build and less thinking about the overall picture of the area and how projects like this have a lasting impact beyond immediate needs. A company like Nationwide that invests as much as it does, is a huge asset to the city, but at the same time I feel like the overall attitude sometimes is that we should take whatever we’re given and like it.

I once got into a debate with a group of friends as to the future of the city and how I thought we should be looking into more mass transit options beyond the bus. I was outnumbered by far with the prevailing attitude that Columbus neither needs it nor is it ever going to be big enough to support it. The, “It’s fine how it is now, so we don’t need,” kind of thinking. Drives me crazy. Anyway, at the end of the day, is this development a good thing? Yes, absolutely. Is it really utilizing the potential of the area? Not at all.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    it still seems like building to build and less thinking about the overall picture of the area and how projects like this have a lasting impact beyond immediate needs.

I believe NRI’s Arena District Master Plan was created 12-15 years ago. These buildings were probably on it then. They’ve mentioned their eventual development in passing for at least the past five years.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    I believe NRI’s Arena District Master Plan was created 12-15 years ago. These buildings were probably on it then. They’ve mentioned their eventual development in passing for at least the past five years.

Oh I know, I have heard the same. My point about building just to build is not really related to a time scale, but more about the thinking that having a building, any building, is all that’s really important.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.