Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

ComFest 2013 - June 28, 29, & 30

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals ComFest 2013 – June 28, 29, & 30

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • Author

ManoTikiTia

Hello,

Me and my best friend plan on doing this at least once so we figured why not while we’re young? Any helpful hints for planning our trip and what’s the best transportation advice. I live in clintonville and that’s just a tad too far to walk. My basic knowledge is just that its a hippie festival. Does it really get wild and what does one do there. Hope this is a night to remember. Thanks for all the future help!!

ricospaz
    Participant

Don’t count on it to be a night to remember. Be sure to bring some Hippie Raid.

Just kidding it’s fun. and mostly corporate.

ManoTikiTia

I can tolerate patchouli … Just have a friend coming in from Dayton and don’t want it to not be a fun night. (Not like Dayton has much to brag about though.)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ManoTikiTia said:
    Any helpful hints for planning our trip and what’s the best transportation advice.

Buy a COTA 2-Trip Ticket ($4) and ride the #2 or #21 there and back:

http://www.cota.com/assets/Riding-Cota/Schedules/Current/21.pdf

The #21 runs every 30 minutes until 3am on Friday and Saturday, so you can get home late.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

PS: The 2-Trip Ticket is important. Don’t buy the “Day Pass” for $4.50. The Day Pass is unlimited rides, but stops working at midnight of the day you buy it.

mbeaumont
    Participant

You’ll have fun. If the weather’s good it can be a really good experience, especially your first time. After you’ve been multiple years in a row you realize it’s basically the same exact thing every year.

Friday and the mornings are really mellow and chill. Friday night and Saturday night get pretty packed and crazy, but it’s still a good vibe for the most part.

If you’re into indie music, stick to the offramp stage, but it’s always good to check out the other stages as well. Gazebo is usually decent and so is Solar Stage. Jazz stage is really hit or miss.

Food-wise, get a fish boat, and if you only do Comfest once, then you may as well get one of those goddamn giant turkey legs.

As for beer, respect the festival and buy it there. The lines get pretty unbearable after 6pm or so.

Also, take some time to just lay on the grass and just chill. Even nap. It’s a long weekend and you’ll need to pace yourself. Oh and drink lots of water.

That’s about it in a nutshell. Have fun!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Just sort of let go of all your preconceived notions about all that’s holy. Get ready to be grossed out. There will be Juggalos. Then once an hour meet the nicest person you’ve ever met. One of them might be a Juggalo. Be like, “damn this thing has really gone to the dogs”, then see one of the best live shows ever. Stand in line for two hours for beer and wonder if the park grass will ever live again, but the beer is good so you do it again. See lots of different sized boobies. Curse and praise hippies in the same breath. Curse and praise Park Street in the same breath. Smell lots of dogs and babies in a new and visceral way.

Peace Love and Boobies.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Volunteer.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

0Angle said:
    Volunteer.

+1

ManoTikiTia

Well I’ll look forward to the madness then. Do they have other things to drink besides beer? And I imagine you can’t bring your own alcohol, right? (Never been into festivals so I don’t know much)

mbeaumont
    Participant

They have wine as well, and I think they’re going to have premixed cocktails this year as well. But beer is the Comfest staple.

And nope, you can’t bring your own alcohol (though plenty of people do.)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The gooball mama generally carries a picnic basket, tip her.

drawrobot
    Participant

I always have a good time at Comfest. You will want to bus there or park in one of the lots or garages. Naturally during the day on Friday, the fest is pretty chill before the mob of people hit Friday night and don’t let up till Sunday morning. +1 on sticking to the Offramp stage. There’s usually some good stuff on the Gazebo. It’s really an opportunity to discover local bands.

Past couple of years, I’ve noticed an uptick in cover bands which is not really my thing. (actually that really irritates me, it’s a spot that could have gone to a band that does original stuff.) It always seems to rain at least once during the fest, be prepared for that. Lastly, if you can, volunteer. If not pick up after yourself. My favorite food vendor is the Lavash Cafe.

ManoTikiTia

Snarf said:
    The gooball mama generally carries a picnic basket, tip her.

Who is this character? lol

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Go with an open mind. It’s the most mixed crowd you will see in Columbus anytime, anywhere. I will be there in the grass from Friday morning to Sunday evening. IMO, it’s still the best fest in town.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE