Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

My Car Died...

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

AmyArt21
    Participant

My poor little ’99 Corolla.

It was having trouble starting today and yesterday, so this afternoon I called to have it serviced and made the appointment for next Thurs.

Then I went out to try and do some errands. And it wouldn’t start at all.

Thinking it was probably the battery, I called AAA and they sent their battery dude.

It was NOT the battery. It wouldn’t even start with jumper cables! Craaaaaaaaap.

Would it be the starter, or something more major?

I have to get it towed to the shop tomorrow. I don’t really know how they would tow a car that’s parallel-parked on the street with cars in front and in back. I can’t even start the damn thing to maneuver it out of the parking space.

Has this happened to anyone else before? :cry:

lisathewaitress
    Participant

it sounds like your starter. Especially since you have a toyota, a notoriously reliable car for 100s of 1000s of miles. IF i remember correctly, if it is your starter, you will hear a click but no revs or anything. Just dead nothingness. Is it a stick shift or automatic? IF it is a stick, an easy way to tell would be to pop the clutch, which would be a little hard if it is blocked in with cars. Do the other cars ever leave?

A starter costs about $400 (well, it was for my ’95 Jetta when it died).

I hope it’s an easy fix! If you need clutch-popping advice, let me know. I had a VW rabbit in college which I started by popping the clutch for months until my dad visited, and realized that my starter had become unplugged from the battery. That’s pretty much the story of my life…

AmyD
    Participant

oh amy that stinks! i have nothing to add except that.

My ’95 Honda Civic did that two summers ago (I now drive an ’04 Mazda 3). I vaguely remember it being the starter, but I don’t have the paperwork to confirm it.

AmyArt21
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote If you need clutch-popping advice, let me know. I had a VW rabbit in college which I started by popping the clutch for months until my dad visited, and realized that my starter had become unplugged from the battery. That’s pretty much the story of my life…

That sounds really dirty, Lisa!! :lol: Hahaha.

The AAA guy looked under my hood for a while, and I assume if something was simply detached, he would have re-attached it.

I admittedly have no clue what “popping the clutch” is. Can you do that on a car with automatic transmission?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

AmyArt21 wrote

lisathewaitress wrote If you need clutch-popping advice, let me know. I had a VW rabbit in college which I started by popping the clutch for months until my dad visited, and realized that my starter had become unplugged from the battery. That’s pretty much the story of my life…

That sounds really dirty, Lisa!! :lol: Hahaha.

The AAA guy looked under my hood for a while, and I assume if something was simply detached, he would have re-attached it.

not always, the starter is often at the back or underneath the engine.. He may not be able to see the cable to it.

I had a 90′ Civic where the whole starter came lose and was just sitting there.. You couldn’t see it ws unattached, but you could her it just sit there and whirr…

Just wondering, did it make any sort of clicking sound? If you turn the lights on, are they dim?

AmyArt21 wrote

I admittedly have no clue what “popping the clutch” is. Can you do that on a car with automatic transmission?

Nope, Manual transmission only.

artbomb112
    Participant

I’m not a car expert… but I know enough to get by.

I do know the starter in a Corolla is pretty easy to get to. I used to have one that was just a bit older than yours.

I think it sounds like the starter too. But it may be the alternator.

A starter isn’t that much. (Jetta’s are notorious for high price fixes… not so much for Corollas)

An alternator isn’t that bad either.

I would recommend taking it to a Toyota dealership though. Many shops that run into these problems use junked parts from other vehicles. A dealership will have factory parts.

I don’t think it will be that hard to fix it. Dead is often better than noise.

Call me if you want to ask about it. I can tell you what I know.

:)

CaD

Yeah it sounds like its going to be your starter.

Not bad to fix actually. If you dont have someone to do it for you, hopefully the shop doesnt charge you an arm and a leg.

AmyArt21
    Participant

artbomb112 wrote I would recommend taking it to a Toyota dealership though. Many shops that run into these problems use junked parts from other vehicles. A dealership will have factory parts.

Yep, I’m calling Toyota Direct right now…

I hope it’s not too bad. Although I secretly want a new car even though I *really* can’t afford one.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Alternator or starter should probably run you around 150 bucks, maybe a little.

EDIT: that’s for the part, as they’re really not a hard fix at all.

AmyArt21 wrote

artbomb112 wrote I would recommend taking it to a Toyota dealership though. Many shops that run into these problems use junked parts from other vehicles. A dealership will have factory parts.

I hope it’s not too bad. Although I secretly want a new car even though I *really* can’t afford one.

I go to Toyota Direct and have had excellent service from them– hope it doesn’t cost you a fortune!

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Replacing starters generally are pretty easy and don’t require tools beyond a good socket set.. I’ve done it a bunch of times for myself and friends.

If you have a friend that’s handy with tools they could probably do this in about an hour, and for much less than a shop.

lifeliberty
    Participant

What’s the news?

AmyArt21
    Participant

thefightinglibrarian wrote

AmyArt21 wrote

I go to Toyota Direct and have had excellent service from them– hope it doesn’t cost you a fortune!

Well, they found some more stuff that was wrong…so it will only be a *small* fortune. Labor costs so much!!! I should have gone in to the auto maintenance profession.

So, everyone come to the North Market on Sunday and buy some of my jewelry! (Not only is it awesome, but it will help me pay for car stuff! Yaaaay!) I know you want a bracelet with charms that look like 8 different varieties of Pop-Tarts. :wink:

KSquared

If you need service on a Toyota in the future, Larry at Tong Da is awesome and charges fair prices. I have taken my car in for noises that turned out to be able to be fixed easily by tightening something or other, and he did not charge me.

The other plus is that Yeah Me Too is right down the street, and Wildflower Cafe is right across the street. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.