Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Three Sheets Bar — Replacing T Murray's in Brewery District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Three Sheets Bar — Replacing T Murray's in Brewery District

This topic contains 57 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  turbo ninja 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

People giving bad reviews of a place that hasn’t even opened is laughable…likely people who nobody would want in their bar anyway. I’ve been in that space when it was T Murray’s and it’s a great spot with an up and downstairs bar. Can’t wait to check it out!

Thanks for the honest feedback on both Novak’s and this bar that you’ve provided in your extensive posting history here.

I’m sure Jenny appreciates her friend supporting her new effort anonymously, John.

DavidF
    Participant

Snap! Looks like the old Core is back.

Bolsanada
    Participant

Hello all, here is the food menu we will be serving at three sheets. We will source everything from local producers whenever possible and will only use the highest quality ingridiants. The menu will change seasonaly and we will also feature nightly specials. Thank you

Small Plates

Deviled Eggs
    One Traditional and Two Whimsical

House Made Pickles
    Assortment of House Made Pickled Vegetables

Mini Chicken ‘N Waffles
    Buttermilk Soaked Local Chicken Breast,
    Sage-Sour Cream Waffles, Maple-Sriracha Glaze, Scallion

Local Pork Belly Poutine
    Brown Sugar and Orange Rubbed Pork Belly,
    Turnip and White Cheddar “Gravy”, Arugula, Celery, Scallion

w/ Fried Egg

Chicken Wings
    Choice of Sauce: Sriracha-Orange Buffalo, Whole Grain Mustard & Maple,
    Roasted Tomato & Soy BBQ

Taco’s

Local Pork Belly:
    Roasted Peaches, Avocado Salsa, Lettuce, Shallots

Sriracha-Orange Marinated Chicken Breast:
    Pickled Pablano, Caramelized Onions,
    Celery, Blue Cheese

Vegetarian:
    Caramelized Bell Peppers, Pickled Pablano,
    Shallots, Lettuce, Avocado Salsa

————————-

Salad

Three Sheets Salad
    Iceberg Lettuce, Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette,
    Blue Cheese, Smoked Bacon, Brioche Croutons

————————-

Large Plates
    Add Fries to any plate
    Add a Small Salad

Three Sheets Burger
    House Made 4oz Burger, American Cheese,
    Iceberg Lettuce, Red Onion, Roasted Tomato Aioli
    Pickled Cucumbers

w/ House Smoked Bacon
    Add a Patty

Seasonal Burger
    House Made 4oz Burger, Sautéed Mushrooms,
    Sharp White Cheddar, Red Onion,
    Arugula, Blueberry Aioli

W/ House Smoked Bacon

House Made Corn Dogs
    Two Cornmeal Battered All Beef Hot Dogs,
    Roasted Pablano Aioli

————————-

Sides

House Cut Fries
    Assortment of Sauces

House-Made Sauces:
    Roasted Tomato and Soy BBQ, Whole Grain Mustard and Maple,
    Roasted Tomato Aioli, Blueberry Aioli, Roasted Pablano Aioli

Executive Chef/Owner Mike Gadd
    Sous Chef Seth Taylor

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

When I think dive bar, I think sous vide.

bayrea
    Participant

and whimsical eggs

Bolsanada
    Participant

That was not meant to be left in the description it was for internal purposes, accidental over site.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

*Sous vide in a halfway house bathtub, then.

News
    Participant

turbo ninja
    Participant

<DIV class=d4p-bbt-quote-title>turbo ninja wrote:</DIV>
    <P>I hope this means a smaller but better crowd for the High Beck. The d-bags who want a “dive-themed” bar can go to Three Sheets, and the normal people who appreciate an actual divey bar with great bartenders and passable food can stay at the High Beck.</P>

<P>That seems pretty unnecessarily harsh and mean-spirited. Especially to direct toward a place that hasn’t even opened yet. </P>

I wasn’t trying to review the place, but rather to comment on the spirit behind it. I bristle at the idea of a “dive bar concept” and the conscious transformation of the space to a “lowbrow” bar. If you tell me you’re trying to create something divey, the result can only be artificial and contrived. Time and clientele make a dive bar, not carefully-curated furnishings (not too fancy, now!) or some cheap canned beer.

A concept bar of any kind is nothing more than a brand, and it will run out of steam when the gimmicks wear thin or something newer/shinier comes along.

I forget who said it many years ago, but right after Skully’s opened in the Short North there was a comment along the lines of “Skully’s is to Rock and Roll as The Olive Garden is to Italy.” That pretty much sums up my feelings of themed bars – they’re caricatures.

It does sound like Three Sheets isn’t trying super-hard to make itself look or feel like a stereotypical dive bar, so I’ll back off my d-bag comment from June. I might even actually review the place, now that it’s open. But I’m sticking to my assertion that d-bags prefer “themed” bars over the real things.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

But I’m sticking to my assertion that d-bags prefer “themed” bars over the real things.

I think I understand what you’re trying to say, but I wholeheartedly disagree due to the wide range of themes and the executions of said themes.

Grass Skirt is a theme bar (tiki) and I’d say it’s not full of d-bags (when I’ve gone).
    16-Bit is a theme bar (arcade) and … see above.
    Denmark has a lounge-theme going on.
    Melt has a indie-rocker/hipster theme.
    Surly Girl has the cowgirl theme.
    Kingmakers certainly has a theme.
    Lots of bars have a gastropub theme these days.

I’d say it’s more likely than not that a bar owner has a specific branding idea in mind when launching their business. Some might be more kitschy, and some might be more subtle, but every bar has a theme to it.

Planning to be a dive-bar from day one might be something you have to grow into or “earn” so to speak, but it doesn’t automatically make the place bar or good. I’d argue that Whitt’s End Saloon has the same theme going on. And the recently closed Hal & Al’s before it.

bayrea
    Participant

I forget who said it many years ago, but right after Skully’s opened in the Short North there was a comment along the lines of “Skully’s is to Rock and Roll as The Olive Garden is to Italy.” That pretty much sums up my feelings of themed bars – they’re caricatures.

Yeah, that Skully’s place was a flash in the pan… only been around for 12 years (so far).

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Yeah, that Skully’s place was a flash in the pan… only been around for 12 years (so far).

Skully’s does continue to smell like teen spirit as well.

turbo ninja
    Participant

<P>I forget who said it many years ago, but right after Skully’s opened in the Short North there was a comment along the lines of “Skully’s is to Rock and Roll as The Olive Garden is to Italy.” That pretty much sums up my feelings of themed bars – they’re caricatures.</P>

<P>Yeah, that Skully’s place was a flash in the pan… only been around for 12 years (so far). </P>

Olive Garden has been a brand for more than 30 years and there are more than 800 of them. Caricatures can last, but longevity doesn’t make them any more authentic.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Drink beer and support Columbus Underground! Join us on Saturday, September 29th to sample coffee-infused beers!

CLICK HER FOR TICKETS & INFO