Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 397 total)
  • Author

KSquared

Bear wrote >>
    If they impress Merc and convince KSquared to try whiskey they are wizards indeed… those two things say more than any review. Most intrigued.

I saw that you went tonight (Twitter). I’m interested to hear your thoughts.

JonMyers
    Participant

KSquared wrote >>

Bear wrote >>
    If they impress Merc and convince KSquared to try whiskey they are wizards indeed… those two things say more than any review. Most intrigued.

Wait… but, I saw Bear at ? :)

Bear
    Participant

KSquared wrote >>

Well, they’ve got exceptional taste in glassware. Which is not trivial. (Actually, to me it’s a big deal… I totally covet all of their glassware.) And they desperately need more air conditioning, especially around 5:30 or 6… even if it’s giant blocks of ice with fans pointed at them.

But, oh, right, the drinks. The drinks, I thought, were very good, at their best. I didn’t sample enough of them to compare them to Details, but in the same category. The Stinger was really good, though the mint got overpowering as I went on… the White Lady was delicious and immensely refreshing, one of the better cocktails I’ve had… the Whiskey Smash was initially far too sweet, but Chris, our bartender, whisked it away and made a flawless second rendition with less simple syrup (and more bourbon)… and they humored me by putting together a variant on a Diaquiri, an old British Navy drink called the Deep Six, that was the best thing I had thanks in no small part to some of their innovative touches. Really solid successes in three out of four tries, and I didn’t hate the fourth.

All in all I think their menu instincts are excellent, in no small part due to the reliance on fresh-squeezed juices and classic recipes. They’ve got a list of cocktails that range from good to exceptional, and where they’re good, they’re actively tinkering with the formulas to make them even better (turns out Chris had already modified the Whiskey Smash recipe somewhat before I tried it.)

Four coupes, two prosciutto trays, handful of olive pits… Joe Bob says check it out.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Wait…we have another awesome whiskey bar in town?!? How the hell does this keep happening (Please, baby Jesus, don’t let this stop)?

So…how’s their Manhattan?

Bear
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I didn’t try it. It’d be Bulleit and Noilly.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Wait…we have another awesome whiskey bar in town?!? How the hell does this keep happening (Please, baby Jesus, don’t let this stop)?

They serve some drinks with whiskey, but definitely not a whiskey bar.

Their old fashioned is nice though.

duncanfj
    Participant

Dropped by this evening. My wife and I each had a cocktail, ordered the speck and the fresh goat cheese. The space is really cool, the cocktails were very good and the food was drool-inducing.

Really like the food here, but I try not to spend too much money on booze and a couple of drinks here alone could easily run me close to $20. Cured meats: need I say more?

Oh, and last night some assholes, I’m guessing this is Comfest related, yanked out both plants and threw them on the sidewalk. I dug them back in as best and fast as I could since I got caught in that downpour last night. I’ll have to ride by and see if they’re looking OK, they were pretty droopy despite my best effort.

JonMyers
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    Oh, and last night some assholes, I’m guessing this is Comfest related, yanked out both plants and threw them on the sidewalk. I dug them back in as best and fast as I could since I got caught in that downpour last night. I’ll have to ride by and see if they’re looking OK, they were pretty droopy despite my best effort.

Good for you in trying to replant them. I’d love to catch someone in the act of tearing up the plants around the neighborhood.

We also checked out the place on Friday, sat in the window and watched all the Comfest-ers head to the park. Being a beer drinker, I had 2 choices, and I went for the non-porter. It was good, but doubt I could have more than 1. Wife had a sparkling something, which was NOT champagne, because they said that at least twice. We tried the prosciutto, olives, and bread, which were very good. Of course love the space, but it’ll be interesting if we find an opportunity to go again. Maybe next time will just be coffee.

Lyburnum

It’s good to hear they’ve modified the Whiskey Smash recipe. I can put up with less than ideal climate if the drinks are right. We went about a week ago and knocked down a few drinks (despite the occasional sweaty back). My only complaint was that the cocktails were a bit on the weak side. I had a Whiskey Smash, a Negroni, and a Manhattan. They all felt like they needed about half a jigger of more booze. I’m sure they will work all of this out in the near future if they haven’t already. The cheese, meats, and olives were tops. The wife got a champagne cocktail of some sort; I guess it was good because it didn’t last very long.

I’m glad this place finally opened. Hopefully better hours are coming soon.

Good morning columbusunderground readers.

My name is Yusef and I along with one partner own MOUTON.

I have remained silent through questions and concerns thus far as time prevents me from chiming in – and I prefer to listen and see what people are saying, not weighing in regularly.

June has treated us well. This was our first month of business, after a nine month planning and building process, one that pushed me to my limits, trying me far more than I ever expected.

I would like to share with you my plan for expanded hours, menu and HVAC.

Most importantly, for the comfort of those who work with us and those who come to drink and dine with us…

This Friday additional duct work will be added to our basement, enabling the necessary boost from a two ton furnace to a five ton. This was called for during the architectural and engineering phase of the project but the cost was prohibitive. We are thankful for kind landlords who see promise not only in the neighborhood but in our passion and vision for this space. A completely glass facade has been both a blessing and a hindrance and we hope to show that not only can you enjoy seeing out and in but you can sip wine and laugh in a cooled space.

On hours…

Starting next week we will open for morning coffee service. Logan Demmy is heading up our espresso program. He is amazing. Not only is he a spectacular barista but he has turned out to be a great waiter as well. Logan has been pushing for us to open in the morning hour and for this reason we will. Keep up to date with our hours on our facebook fan page as any changes in our hours will be reflected there. At this moment we will pour Brioso Milano and SNOWVILLE milk Monday-Friday from 9 til noon. It does seem foolish to me to not open on Saturday and Sunday, days that Northstar has a line that creeps around the block, however, we are not there yet. As of this moment, we also have no menu item in place to serve with this coffee. I hope you will look past this and see that we feel we will be serving one of the best cups of coffee in the city of Columbus.

We are also adding Wednesday evening to our nights of service, with the hope of Tuesday following shortly after.

As a ten year resident of the city and nearly that long of the neighborhood surrounding MOUTON, I pay attention to business around me. It seems that the nights we have chosen to be open are best suited for a new business that is centered around a wine & cocktail bar type of atmosphere. I hope to be proven wrong by adding more nights to service, offering up attentive service and a bit more relaxed pace.

And finally, the menu.

Thank you for wanting more. All along I have not wanted to offer anything that we are not executing to the best of our ability. Food needs to look and taste good. I am thrilled with the choices we have made thus far and the feedback that at least I am hearing has been nothing less than positive, with the occasional comment being ‘More cheese.’ We are expanding our selection of cheese and cured meats. When left at the helm of our culinary program just days before opening, I had no alternative but to move at a snail’s pace. I would not want to serve anything that is less than exceptional. I hope you see this.

In all, I am very pleased with our performance thus far. I went into this with no expectations, honestly.

The delight to me is to walk outside of the space and look in. To see diners filling the space, talking, laughing, looking around, and enjoying themselves.

In the end my concept has changed a bit, yes, but it is natural for one to tweak things as they go along.

I hope you will come and experience what we have to offer you for yourself and not let any preconceived notions scare you away.

Take good care and enjoy this upcoming holiday weekend

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Yusef…you rock. I hope to get in to see you guys again this weekend. I’ve loved every visit so far.

And not that you asked for suggestions, but if you do weekend coffee service (which I’d love since I work in the boonies of Southern Ohio M-F)and are deciding on menu items to go with it. I’d LOVE something like a savory scone. I suppose you could do sweet ones too, but I’d looooooove savory ones. I love the ham and cheese ones at northstar and the raisin and rosemary from Pistacia Vera are so good too…something like that. :)

Or get michael to make homemade biscuits for you and I’ll pile some prosciutto on it. ;)

aaminian
    Participant

STRANGE EXPERIENCE…

I’ve been to Mouton several times since they opened a few weeks ago, both in the evenings for food/cocktails and during the day for coffee. My experience there has always been fantastic. Or at least that was the case before this past Friday night. My fiancée and I were entertaining a group of friends who were in town from D.C. and Chicago. We’d just had a late dinner in Bexley, and we were trying to think of an appropriate place to go for a night cap. When my friends are in town I always try to show them the best of what Columbus has to offer, so I explained Mouton to them and told them that it would be a great place to grab some high quality cocktails. Off we went.

Our group of 6 arrived at Mouton at about 12:30, which was half an hour before their posted closing time that night. One of the servers greeted us very warmly and pulled a few tables together to accommodate our group, after which he poured us water and distributed drink menus. As we looked over the menus, our guests commented on how much they loved the space and how they thought it was a great concept for the area. My friend from Chicago even said “this feels like being in Chicago.” Just as he uttered those words, Yusef, the owner, walked over to our table. He said that he was sorry, but that his workers had had a rough night and that they “didn’t have the energy to make any more cocktails.” At first I thought he was joking, but after a few moments I realized he was being serious. After confirming that he wasn’t just dicking around with us, we sat there, dumbfounded. I said “ok, so what do you have to offer us?” He said “nothing.” We said “not even just one drink?“ He repeated that they “didn’t have the energy.” My friend from D.C. said “can you just pour me a bourbon?” He said “I’m sorry, no.” My fiancée asked if they could just open a bottle of wine for us. No. And that was that- we were kicked out of the place during normal business hours. I should point out that there was only one other 4-top in the restaurant that was occupied during this whole exchange. We were the only other customers.

As we stood out on the sidewalk, looking perturbed and trying to figure out what to do, Yusef came outside after us. He apologized again and handed me a signed menu that he said would be good for a free round of drinks the next time we came in. I appreciated the gesture, but it was too little, too late, and it wasn’t like my friends from out of town were going to be heading back to Mouton anytime soon.

I’m sure Yusef is a great guy, and I know he was just trying to take care of his employees, but I think that this was a horrible way to handle the situation. Either tell us that you’re going to be closing early before you seat us, or lock the door behind us to keep more customers out. Don’t seat us and then kick us out. My feeling is that when you’re a just few weeks into your opening you should be bending over backwards to put your best foot forward, not coddling your staff. I worked in the restaurant biz for a good number of years and I can just imagine what my customers or my manager would have said if, 13 hours into my double shift, I’d told them that I “didn’t have the energy” to take orders anymore.

The next day, my fiancée posted a review of her experience on Mouton’s Facebook page. Instead of addressing the situation and offering an apology, Mouton’s response was to simply delete her post. FAIL.

I am sorry you had that experience. That is wholly unacceptable and completely shitty. Alas, that mirrors something else I heard.

A.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 397 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO