Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 397 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

The space looks great. I haven’t been yet, but I look forward to going.

I have to admit the hours are confusing a lot of people, myself included.

Yeah when are they open? (4-Close Th,F,Sat posted on FB seems limited)
    It was bizaro they were closed on gallery hop
    Now that Kickstart (RIP) is gone, I need a new good coffee spot.

Hello Mouton, what are your hours?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I believe that they are open only evenings for now until they can get staff up and trained, but twitter or FB is probably the best place to get updates: http://twitter.com/moutononhigh http://www.facebook.com/MOUTONonHigh

It would just be nice to able to go have a cup of coffee in the morning hours. Is that asking too much?

The staffing concerns seem like something that should have been premeditated before opening the business.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, I really do want them to succeed!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I really want some weekend AM coffee too. They had me hooked on that first visit. I love the space and the staff is wonderful, and I can’t wait to make it back…but to hear that they still weren’t doing any cheeses or anything beyond the bread, olives and proscuitto on the second week open is a bit disheartening. If you are touting yourself on being a spot for artisanal meats and cheeses but you still haven’t gotten any two weeks after opening, I’m a bit concerned. But again, I love the space and the folks behind it, and I’ll be back when they have the full scope of items to offer. I’m totally in love with the feel of that place. I wish them the best of luck.

bjboose

Hello–

Thanks for your interest and comments. As a member of the business, allow me to provide some insight.

MOUTON has been built from the ground up for the most part by one person over the past eight months – Yusef. He has been wearing many hats including those of painter, employee interviewer, construction manager, interior designer, sommelier, food sourcer, staff trainer, cleaner, equipment selector, purchaser, the list goes on. In addition, he has been working with the city getting licenses approved, etc.

As first time business owners, we do not have the resources in a number of ways to hire extra help to accomplish these tasks, thus a large burden had/has been placed upon him.

We understand the confusion about hours and are working as hard as possible to getting open with a full schedule. We pushed extremely late into the evening to be open the Friday before Gallery Hop. That evening went well, but – as with any business – we learned things throughout the evening that we wanted to ‘tighten up’ before taking on the full experience of the Hop. It was a decision that was made which was difficult, but we felt was the right one.

This past weekend we were open from 4pm – CL. This weekend we will hold the same hours. We are hoping beyond then to begin expanding earlier into the week and morning hours.

The menu will be growing and expanding. (Including cheese ASAP!) This is the first business venture for both of us, and we are trying to operate under the motto ‘Learn to walk, before you run.’

We love Columbus and the Short North and are doing everything we can to bring a great addition to the neighborhood. Hope to see everybody soon!

Thanks
    Brad

bjboose

P.S. We try to stay as up to date as possible on Facebook and Twitter regarding any questions.

Rastapasta

I am waiting to check them out. When I first heard charcuterie + cheese I was really excited.

I am not in to the fact they spend weeks and weeks sharing their interior decorating endevors on facebook and put no thought or care in to the food. Seems like being cool + hip is more important then sharing a passion for food; disappointing.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Thanks for the scoop. You guys are rad. I’ll keep following FB and Twitter. I can’t wait for more hours, and you guys may be one of the few things that can peel me outta bed and out of the house before 10am on a weekend.

And if you need any cheese tasting help… ;)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Rastapasta wrote >>
    I am waiting to check them out.
    I am not in to the fact they spend weeks and weeks sharing their interior decorating endevors on facebook and put no thought or care in to the food. I am not in to the style over substance mentality .

Huh? I wouldn’t say that “no thought or care” has been put into the food. If anything I’d say that they’ve been far too careful. In speaking with Yusef you can see that he is uncompromising in quality. I agree they need to start rolling out their cheese selections soon.

That said, the prosciutto (La Quercia) they get is no joke. I’ve gone in there several times just for that with the olives and bread (Elena Cristiani). The cocktails and coffee are pretty fantastic and vie for best in town.

I do want them to be open more and I think they would benefit from it, but it does seem to me that every time I’ve gone back there’s been some change or adjustment that makes the place better. In that way they seem kinda smart. They have me coming back pretty often to check on progress.

Rastapasta

Weeks of facebook updates like, “check out this new light fixture!” or “look at this cool font for our logo!” and no mention of food probably gave me a misconception of their intentions– especially when they only have one type of proscuitto– I can go down the street to Curds and Whey and find plenty of delicious cheese and meats.

I don’t mean any harm by making these comments– they need to get some food going and may be throwing in a tasting event or two in for good measure.

drew
    Participant

Yeah, they’re definitely learning as they go along. That this has created so much confusion amounts to a bit of an unforced error on their part.

Nonetheless, I expect great things from Mouton. The space looks great, and Yusef’s perfectionism will no doubt extend to the food and drink offering. I’m very much looking forward to seeing Mouton firing on all cylinders.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Rastapasta wrote >>
    Weeks of facebook updates like, “check out this new light fixture!” or “look at this cool font for our logo!” and no mention of food probably gave me a misconception of their intentions– especially when they only have one type of proscuitto– I can go down the street to Curds and Whey and find plenty of delicious cheese and meats.
    I don’t mean any harm by making these comments– they need to get some food going and may be throwing in a tasting event or two in for good measure.

Sure, I just got the feeling that you haven’t been from your comments. Like I said I think they are being almost too careful. If you’ve not been you should stop in for a cocktail some evening.

Thanks Brad listening to your patrons. We’re here for you guys and appreciate that you cater to the needs of your customers. I just want to be able to “walk and run” over to get some coffee…thanks

Bear
    Participant

My sense is they’re just not doing anything until they’ve absolutely got it nailed. Which takes time.

I can respect that, even though I find it a little frustrating, personally.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 397 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE