Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 397 total)
  • Author

robotatomica
    Participant

I had my first dirty martini ever at Mouton, close to when they opened. It immediately became my favorite drink. So so dirty. It was cloudy with bits and oils and my skewer had I think three different kinds of olives…it was strong as hell (I went with the gin martini as I’m not a huge fan of vodka) and FULL of flavor.

So yeah, decided then that I LOVE dirty martinis. BUT…I have had dirty martinis (which I now request “extra dirty” usually to no avail) at 5 or 6 other places and have learned…NO ONE does it like Mouton.

The first review I read of them spoke of how their goal was to make simple cocktails perfectly (or something like that). I’d say that’s exactly what they do. If I had the gold dust I’d be there every week.

aaminian
    Participant

Note: this may seem like a rant at first, but keep reading…

I stopped into Mouton on Friday night with my wife and a good friend of mine. Despite the place being packed to near capacity, we were immediately greeted by Yusef and were seated just a couple minutes later. After about 10 minutes, Yusef came by our table and took our order (2 cocktails and a glass of wine). After another 10 minutes, Yusef came by our table again to make sure he had our order right. After another 10-15 minutes or so, a server came by our table and asked if we wanted drinks (ugh). I told him that Yusef had already taken our order. After another 10 minutes or so, a different server came by our table and asked if our drink order had been taken. By this point we were obviously quite perturbed, and I told the server, in as polite a manner as I could manage, that we’d been waiting for our drinks for over half an hour. She apologized for the wait and assured us that our drinks would be up in a minute.

Finally, after about 45 minutes of waiting, our drinks arrived, and they were DELICIOUS. My aviation was the best I’ve ever had. My wife’s wine was wonderful (Yusef’s recommendation) and my friend was a big fan of his greyhound (his first). But that’s not the end of the story (it would be pretty lame if it was after all that build-up). At this point I need to step back in time a bit to when we first put our drink order in. When ordering her wine, my wife had asked Yusef if he had any desserts available (he often does). Unfortunately, he either wasn’t offering dessert that night or had run out (I can’t remember which). So, moving forward to a few minutes after we’d received our drinks, my wife was looking out onto High St and saw Yusef pulling up in his car right in front of the shop. He came walking in with something in his hand and moved toward our table. Upon reaching us, he apologized profusely for dropping the ball on our drink order and produced a beautiful, chilled martini glass full of rice pudding with fig compote, along with three spoons. The guy, after hearing from our server that we’d been waiting so long for our drinks, had gotten into his car and DRIVEN DOWN TO RIGSBY’S to get us dessert (which, by the way, was incredibly delicious). Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make things right. Bravo, Yusef.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Wow, I realize you’re trying to show a good response to a service issue, but there isn’t a dessert on the planet that makes that OK.

aaminian
    Participant

somertimeoh said:
    Wow, I realize you’re trying to show a good response to a service issue, but there isn’t a dessert on the planet that makes that OK.

We were pretty blown away by the effort.

Twixlen
    Participant

It makes me think of the ridiculous inefficiency built into that whole scenario. If someone on the floor is responsible for a certain task, then just do that task. A grand gesture just makes the whole thing extra flakey, to me, and frankly, desperate.

Why create drama? And that’s what that whole scene says to me.

Bear
    Participant

aaminian said:
    We were pretty blown away by the effort.

I can see that, actually.

I mean, given the size of the place, waiting 45 minutes for drinks is nothing short of bizarre. Who knows how it happened, but given that it did, I’d definitely give points for remembering your wife’s question about dessert and going the extra mile to procure one.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    It makes me think of the ridiculous inefficiency built into that whole scenario. If someone on the floor is responsible for a certain task, then just do that task. A grand gesture just makes the whole thing extra flakey, to me, and frankly, desperate.

Why create drama? And that’s what that whole scene says to me.

THANK YOU!! I was starting to think I was missing something, lol.

Having spent a lot more time outside of the neighborhood as of late, I’m starting to realize just how much crappy service I’ve put up with over the last 5 or so years for the convenience of drinking close to home, because of some emotional connection to the place, knowing people who work there, etc. At the end of the day, it’s still crappy service and I STILL TIPPED WELL on top of it. Over all that nonsense, lol.

cc

This may sound bad, but you have to wonder whose drink order wasn’t getting filled while Yusef drove to Rigsby’s.

I think it is a great gesture, but the system is still broken. I can imagine this being a scene in Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares.

groundrules
    Participant

somertimeoh said:
    THANK YOU!! I was starting to think I was missing something, lol.

Having spent a lot more time outside of the neighborhood as of late, I’m starting to realize just how much crappy service I’ve put up with over the last 5 or so years for the convenience of drinking close to home, because of some emotional connection to the place, knowing people who work there, etc. At the end of the day, it’s still crappy service and I STILL TIPPED WELL on top of it. Over all that nonsense, lol.

I think you guys are adding the drama.

somertimeoh
    Participant

groundrules said:
    I think you guys are adding the drama.

Not sure what drama you’re referring to, but if by stating opinion on a messageboard which survives solely for the purpose of doing so, means adding drama, then welcome to the drama club.

JoeMitchell

extremely inefficient, but fantastic gesture nonetheless

robotatomica
    Participant

I would be blown away also…there isn’t a restaurant or bar on earth that hasn’t disappointed a customer or provided a bad experience. Having to wait 45 minutes for drinks is pretty crazy, but an owner who would go THAT far out of his way to try to make up for such a situation is the kind of guy I would trust to address the situation with his employees later and do his best personally to make sure it was not duplicted.

I have always had great service there and it’s actually really refreshing to hear of an owner responding with such attentiveness and concern and taking responsibility. To err is human, isn’t it how we deal with our mistakes that defines our character? (Sounds sorta dramatic for a response to someone’s bad bar experience haha, but oh well!)

thecandlelab
    Participant

cbus11

It felt like that was coming. I hope all the best for Yusef.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Yusef made Mouton a beautiful place, hope the new owners keep its spirit!

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 397 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE