Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 397 total)
  • Author

takeasiesta

catnfiddle wrote >>
    I still REALLY want to try this place, especially if they make a good sidecar.

Let’s go! I have two free specialty drinks that need to be used up by this weekend cause I bought some jewelry from Collier West. They’ve been closed every time I’ve tried to go thus far.

catnfiddle
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>

catnfiddle wrote >>
    I still REALLY want to try this place, especially if they make a good sidecar.

Let’s go! I have two free specialty drinks that need to be used up by this weekend cause I bought some jewelry from Collier West. They’ve been closed every time I’ve tried to go thus far.

Cool! My schedule is fairly relaxed through the summer. Send me a note!

lisathewaitress
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    Oak, are you sure the water wasn’t filtered? I ask because all water that comes from a soda gun has to be filtered. Hard water destroys the soda gun lines. Not sure if they use a soda fountain/gun at Mouton. Most tap water in restaurants is actually filtered when it hits your glass.

I know they were very anti-soda gun before opening; not sure what they decided for sure, but they might not have a gun.

columbusguy20
    columbusguy20
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

columbusguy20 wrote >>
    I find it amusing how quickly the tone changed over the past few hours. One minute, some folks on here are ready to swear this place off forever and say that Yusef was ‘verklempt’ or however that is spelled, then the next it’s almost the complete opposite! If a total stranger, oblivious to the scene here in Columbus, happened to browse through this post, they would have thought that Mouton was a place to be avoided like the plague and that the owners need to be skinned alive.
    Cut the man some slack already. Aren’t we ALL allowed to make mistakes in life? Yeesh!

That is a good point, albeit errant.
    CU is not a bi-polar dynamic, oppositional dynamic like a Yelp. (And you are badly mis-reading a lot of the comments like it were Yelp.) Many of the positions are orthogonal or represent a parallel of interests. It is naturally, wonderfully, positively going to messy. It is unfortunate that a casual or lazy reader is going to see the Yelp-like aspects only, but I think it is also the great strength of CU and what makes it a valuable resource. There are people posting in this thread who are greatly respected professionals in exactly this field and their advice, freely given in the spirit of community, is gold. (Mr Guffens, eg). Others, like myself fwiw, are both customers as well as have a stake in the greater SN or CMH community (orthogonal people). You don’t get that on a customer-centered site.
    A.

I understand and concur, Andrew. I’m not trying to ‘diss’ CU or anything like that; it just amazed me how quickly opinions changed in the span of a few hours or less. I still love CU! :)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>

lizless wrote >>
    Oak, are you sure the water wasn’t filtered? I ask because all water that comes from a soda gun has to be filtered. Hard water destroys the soda gun lines. Not sure if they use a soda fountain/gun at Mouton. Most tap water in restaurants is actually filtered when it hits your glass.

I know they were very anti-soda gun before opening; not sure what they decided for sure, but they might not have a gun.

They do have an espresso machine though which would require a filter.

Either way, not sure I care :-)

I am glad they’ve been upgrading the AC though. It’s much more comfortable there in the afternoons.

DavidF
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    As to the change of tone: not sure whether it’s CU-specific but few things generate hostility here as quickly as perceived unfairness, arbitrariness, or indifference to a customer—across many threads, businesses, and years.
    And nothing—nothing—turns that hostility into warmth and goodwill as quickly as the proprietor coming on and saying “I f**ked up, I’m sorry, and it won’t happen again.”
    (Or, sometimes, when the facts warrant it, “I actually didn’t f**k up, you haven’t gotten the whole story, here it is.” But that one can go either way.)

Exactly. If you read through, you can hear many of the posters almost pleading for some interaction from the Mouton principals. I noted it before, but I think it bears repeating. Every business, every professional, every person is going to screw up. It’s how you deal with your mistakes that can either turn people against you, or if handled well, become a marketing opportunity. (They messed up, but I was so impressed with the way that they handled that. I’ll tell tons of people how much they want their customers to have a great experience)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Hrmm, I don’t think that columbusguy20 is totally off the mark though. It seems to me that along with the impassioned pleas to “fix things” and the well meaning recommendations there was a fair amount of snark and “piling on” (not my words), and I’m guessing that some of it is undeserved.

I think the comment from Liz (ever the voice of reason here) did much to bring people to their senses.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

I went to Mouton w/ friends last night. The irony was we initially met up at another place and received some less-than-stellar service, so headed over to Mouton. We had been wanting to try Mouton after hearing some rave reviews, but admit was a little bit hessitant after reading this thread. I am glad we went – we had a great time—good drinks, good prociutto, very friendly staff, and loved the decor. We even got free Lillets, thanks to the good folks at Collier West!

Cookie

DavidF wrote >>
    (They messed up, but I was so impressed with the way that they handled that. I’ll tell tons of people how much they want their customers to have a great experience)

Well, eventually. The intial WE’RE DOING THE BEST WE CAN response was pretty bad.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

jarsloth wrote >>
    We even got free Lillets, thanks to the good folks at Collier West!

I have a nice evening in and this is how the universe rewards me. :-p

Andrew Hall

michaelcoyote wrote >>

jarsloth wrote >>

I have a nice evening in and this is how the universe rewards me. :-p

You don’t strike me as someone who buys jewelry at Collier. TJMaxx, maybe …

A.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

jarsloth wrote >>

I have a nice evening in and this is how the universe rewards me.
    :-p

A.

The good stuff is all in the back room.

Andrew Hall

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

jarsloth wrote >>

A.

The good stuff is all in the back room :-D

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

Seriously, I am glad this co-promotion worked for both parties. This is the kind of cool synergy thing that should be rewarded.

A.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

jarsloth wrote >>

A.

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.
    Seriously, I am glad this co-promotion worked for both parties. This is the kind of cool synergy thing that should be rewarded.
    A.

Yes, The promotion had been mentioned to me, and me being me, I promptly forgot. For some reason my brain told me that CW was buying people Lillet out of the blue.

Really, anything that gets Lillet on the rocks with orange into my hands is good by me.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

jarsloth wrote >>

A.

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.
    A.

Yes, The promotion had been mentioned to me, and me being me, I promptly forgot. For some reason my brain told me that CW was buying people Lillet out of the blue.
    Really, anything that gets Lillet on the rocks with orange into my hands is good by me.

The friend I was with just happened to be friends w/ the Collier West folks, so that’s how we got ours free. Just happened in at the right time w/ the right company :)

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 397 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE