Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 397 total)
  • Author

roy
    Participant

I regret sounding snarky earlier in the thread, I know and like Yusef and he is a hard worker, not a Linda Evangelista. Funny thing is, in times past I specifically recommended him as a top-notch professional server at Rigsby’s when people were looking for rec’s.

Yusef, you can pull this out. Take a deep breath and just do it. We’re all on your side.

roy wrote >>
    I regret sounding snarky earlier in the thread, I know and like Yusef and he is a hard worker, not a Linda Evangelista. Funny thing is, in times past I specifically recommended him as a top-notch professional server at Rigsby’s when people were looking for rec’s.
    Yusef, you can pull this out. Take a deep breath and just do it. We’re all on your side.

Absolutely. Well-put.

A.

I sincerely apologize to Ashley and those joining him on Friday night.

I acknowledge Ashley and his guests did not receive the service to which I am accustomed to providing and again, I apologize.

I care so much that I went out the door after he and his guests saying to please come back – on us.

I care so much about what I am doing and about those that work with me that I don’t like to push people beyond their limits.

That Friday night was the busiest night we have had so far. With limited seating and limited means with which to turn around glassware and serving ware – we can only turn out a quality product so many times in an evening. We continue to look at our systems that are in place and see how we can improve upon them. We WILL be open until closing time going forward.

Anyone that knows me beyond just the screen of a computer knows what I am about – service driven, delicious food and drink, within the reach of nearly every man and woman – in a beautiful setting.

I am so sorry, thank you, and I hope to see you soon at MOUTON and we can chat.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Great to hear from you, Yusef! Having been there, I know the opening weeks’ growing pains are the worst.

Thanks for providing the Short North and Columbus with such a beautiful space and experience, I’m looking forward to my first whiskey smash. We are lucky to have you here.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

Yusef, well put. There was a lot of feedback on here based on the incident. It appears to me that if you simply follow set hours and keep to them (only reason I haven’t come because I don’t want to waste time), you’re going to do fine. Many startups could only wish that was their biggest issue and I’ve been there myself.

aaminian
    Participant

Yusef-

Thanks for getting on here and engaging the crowd. It’s obvious that you care very much about both your staff and your customers. With a little fine-tuning, I’m confident that your business will be as strong and as vibrant as everyone on here knows it can be. As Liz said, we’re very lucky that someone was willing to go out on a limb and execute such an exciting concept in our neighborhood. I very much look forward to frequenting your shop in the future. Best of luck.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

On that note, what are the hours for Mouton? Was it mentioned not to follow their Facebook page hours?

Finally, a move in the right direction. As someone who’s sacrificed time and well-being to run restaurants that aren’t their own, a few pieces of advice…

1. As the owner, you lead by example. If you give up because the going is tough, expect the same from your staff. “Doing the best you can” is a tacit admission that you know there’s more you could be doing but aren’t. Along those lines…

2. Every time you want to say “can’t”, replace it with “won’t”. If the restaurant is on fire you can’t serve another guest. If it’s late and you’re spent, you won’t serve another guest…you’re making that choice and you’re not fooling anyone but yourself.

3. Replace “beautiful Food” and “terrific wine” with “Product”. Your “beautiful space” is your “Business”. Don’t let euphemisms shield you from what you need to be doing…selling product so that your business can make money and stay open.

4. Remember, nobody wants to see you fail. Everyone’s success and failure is, to some extent or another, intertwined.

drew
    Participant

John M Guffens wrote >>
    Finally, a move in the right direction. As someone who’s sacrificed time and well-being to run restaurants that aren’t their own, a few pieces of advice…
    1. As the owner, you lead by example. If you give up because the going is tough, expect the same from your staff. “Doing the best you can” is a tacit admission that you know there’s more you could be doing but aren’t. Along those lines…
    2. Every time you want to say “can’t”, replace it with “won’t”. If the restaurant is on fire you can’t serve another guest. If it’s late and you’re spent, you won’t serve another guest…you’re making that choice and you’re not fooling anyone but yourself.
    3. Replace “beautiful Food” and “terrific wine” with “Product”. Your “beautiful space” is your “Business”. Don’t let euphemisms shield you from what you need to be doing…selling product so that your business can make money and stay open.
    4. Remember, nobody wants to see you fail. Everyone’s success and failure is, to some extent or another, intertwined.

What he said ^

JonMyers
    Participant

John M Guffens wrote >>

That’s a great point and advice you can really apply to a lot of situations.

Another one I’ve heard in restaurants is “that’s not possible”. That one drives me nuts.

Bear
    Participant

Apology, explanation, commitment to excel. Hits the right notes. Thanks for responding, Yusef — and for not losing sight of the love in the tough love. I’m sure it all just seems tough….

DavidF
    Participant

Thanks for responding to us. I know it can feel like everyone has turned on you, but I hope you see from recent posts that there really is a lot of goodwill here and a sincere desire to see you succeed.

Here’s hoping this thread is full of raves from here on.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Looking forward to trying this place out. I’ll keep an eye out and wait for things to straighten up.

I guess my only question is what experience is your staff bringing to the table to back you up? With the slow economy and number of out of work employees, it’s a pretty good time for a business to be shopping for the best available, rather than settling. Not saying this is the case here but it would be interesting to know.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    …what experience is your staff bringing to the table to back you up? With the slow economy and number of out of work employees, it’s a pretty good time for a business to be shopping for the best available, rather than settling. Not saying this is the case here but it would be interesting to know.

Their staff is the best really… Not perfect, but pretty damn amazing and passionate about providing the best they can.

Just go back from late morning coffee and i’m pretty happy with it.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    …what experience is your staff bringing to the table to back you up? With the slow economy and number of out of work employees, it’s a pretty good time for a business to be shopping for the best available, rather than settling. Not saying this is the case here but it would be interesting to know.

Their staff is the best really… Not perfect, but pretty damn amazing and passionate about providing the best they can.
    Just go back from late morning coffee and i’m pretty happy with it.

Thanks, just curious.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 397 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO