Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mound Street Connector Project - I-70/71 Split Fix

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Mound Street Connector Project – I-70/71 Split Fix

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

Mike Hansen said:
    This is this first time for me to look at this project and it looks crazy. Columbus has enough highways, ramps and multi-lane streets slicing and dicing it up, why more. If the rest of this project is any thing like this, I hope it can be stopped.

Actually, from the way I understand it, this project is eliminating most of the ramps and slicing up. There will be pretty much one ramp off the highway in each direction to get to downtown.

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

susank

Graybeak said:
    Actually, from the way I understand it, this project is eliminating most of the ramps and slicing up. There will be pretty much one ramp off the highway in each direction to get to downtown.

Except for not capping the bridges the fix and additions are how they they should have done it originally imho. It makes sense but it sure costs a ton of money.

columbusmike
    Participant

Most cities in the world function just fine without highways cutting up their downtowns…

Graybeak
    Participant

Yay for them!

MHJ
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Most cities in the world function just fine without highways cutting up their downtowns…

So let me get this straight: you’d like to completely get rid of I-70 and I-71 going through Columbus?

MHJ
    Participant

This conversation is so weird. As Graybeak noted,

Graybeak said:

This project actually reduces all the carving up of downtown with on- and off-ramps. I mean, I suppose engineers could’ve turned 70 and 71 in beautiful tree-lined 8-laned boulevards through downtown, but I mean….where has that been done anywhere in the US? Especially with a massive highway interchange? People are just being reflexive and weird.

Yes, Columbus needs more transit options. How many of you are part of Transit Columbus? Have worked to lobby your state legislators, Congressional reps, and other officials? How many of you even understand the process for the funding of transit projects? As Ann Landers used to say, kwitcherbitchin.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Email:

The Main Street ramp will be closing temporarily on August 12th, for 2 months so it can be rebuilt as part of the Mound Street Connector Project. Attached is a map ODOT created to help you through this temporary closure. Please feel free to share! Don’t hesitate to contact ODOT’s Public Information Office with any questions or concerns.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Based on my failed effort to get onto 71 North yesterday and the map above, it appears that the Fulton St entrance and Main St entrance onto 71 North are closed as is the Main St entrance onto 70 West. This is going to make getting onto 71 North or 70 West very difficult for those of us living in OTE.

I guess we could call this project CoNoGo.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Mae tells me that the Miller Avenue entrance onto 70W is now closed too. WTF? There is a process called “staggering” where you avoid doing too much road work in the same area at the same time. OTE is truly screwed now when it comes to trying to get on the freeway. Add in the pending removal of street signal lights and I am starting to wish that we had moved to suburbia.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

hugh59 said:
    Add in the pending removal of street signal lights and I am starting to wish that we had moved to suburbia.

Where you’re likely to have to drive 2-3 miles to get to the highway onramp?

The closures are certainly annoying, but only temporary.

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    Mae tells me that the Miller Avenue entrance onto 70W is now closed too. WTF? There is a process called “staggering” where you avoid doing too much road work in the same area at the same time. OTE is truly screwed now when it comes to trying to get on the freeway. Add in the pending removal of street signal lights and I am starting to wish that we had moved to suburbia.

Yeah, as an OTE resident myself, I agree. Not that I’d actually move to suburbia, but it takes away from living near the freeways / central Columbus.

Combine that with the 71N entrance from Broad being closed, along with the 71N entrance from Main closed at night, and it is becoming quite cumbersome to get on the 70 and 71, even though we live right next to it.

Walker — 2 months is a long temporary. My third marriage didn’t make it that far.

From OTE, we now basically have to drive into downtown, get on 670E from 4th, and then get on 71N. Blarggh

MHJ
    Participant

Not that Tom said:
    Yeah, as an OTE resident myself, I agree. Not that I’d actually move to suburbia, but it takes away from living near the freeways / central Columbus.

Combine that with the 71N entrance from Broad being closed, along with the 71N entrance from Main closed at night, and it is becoming quite cumbersome to get on the 70 and 71, even though we live right next to it.

Walker — 2 months is a long temporary. My third marriage didn’t make it that far.

From OTE, we now basically have to drive into downtown, get on 670E from 4th, and then get on 71N. Blarggh

Can’t you just get onto 70 both eastbound and westbound at Alum Creek Drive if you live in OTE? That’s really not that far to drive unless you live west of 18th…and if you live west of 18th, going downtown isn’t that far.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MHJ said:
    Can’t you just get onto 70 both eastbound and westbound at Alum Creek Drive if you live in OTE? That’s really not that far to drive unless you live west of 18th…and if you live west of 18th, going downtown isn’t that far.

As a resident of the Near East Side, the inconveniences are pretty minor IMHO. Driving an extra mile is incredibly easy, and adds 60 seconds to your trip. Not a big deal.

News
    Participant

Mike Hansen
    Participant

Nice video. Can someone confirm that the red line on the map at the beginning of video will come down once the Mound street exit is operational.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER