Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mound Street Connector Project - I-70/71 Split Fix

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Mound Street Connector Project – I-70/71 Split Fix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

michow
    Participant

The Mound Street connector is scheduled to begin construction this July. The 2009 schematic shows a continuation of Mound Street between Grant and 5th. This space is currently occupied by parking lots for apartment complexes. Does anyone know if this part of the construction involves a reconstruction of this part of Mound Street to bring traffic closer to downtown, or is it delayed along with other larger parts of the plan?

bjones7
    Participant

Wait, their going ahead with the I71-70 phase of project? I thought this project was set back about 7 years?

michow
    Participant

Not this small part. See number 9.

columbusmike
    Participant

What a mess of roads.

You could buy a lot of buses for the cost of redoing all these highways around downtown…

mrmann

columbusmike said:
    What a mess of roads.

You could buy a lot of buses for the cost of redoing all these highways around downtown…

But buses (COTA) don’t reach a majority of the people those roads are currently serving.

I agree though that all this road building seems such a waste.

CHermann

Mound Street is going to be reconnected through the Franklin University & Main Anchor building parking lots. It is part of Phase 2C of the Capital Crossroads (aka 70-71) Project. Construction of 2C is beginning this year. The attached image shows the various Phases, including 2C. Design is moving forward on most of the other phases of this project as well, and construction will occur as project dollars become available. For more information, you can follow this project on ODOT District 6’s website:

Capital Crossroads Project Page

GCrites80s
    Participant

That’s going to make a big difference; currently that part of town is a bit sleepy.

ehill27
    Participant

This project starts Monday, July 8. When completed, it will make Mound street THE entrance to downtown from I-70 westbound (the 4th street exit will close). It does also mean reconnecting Mound through a couple surface lots on the southeast corner of downtown.

More info (tentative URL’s):
    http://www.pavingtheway.org/central/#11818
    http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/7071/Pages

News
    Participant

Work Begins on Mound Street Connector, Next Phase of 70/71 Split
    Published on July 8, 2013 6:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

Construction began this past weekend on the Mound Street Connector, the latest phase in the multi-year Interstate 70-71 split project. According to ODOT, parts of I-70 west from the Miller-Kelton exit to 4th Street were closed overnight from Sunday through Thursday while crews install signs and concrete barriers along that stretch of the intersection, although the lanes will reopen each morning at 5am. Starting on the morning of Friday, July 12th, there will be two lanes open on I-70 west from 18th Street to 4th Street.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/work-begins-on-mound-street-connector-next-phase-of-7071-split-bw1

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

“This is the end.”
    James Douglas Morrison

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Little disappointed with the lack of trees and buffs between the highway and the streets on this whole project.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    What a mess of roads.

If my memory is correct this project is somewhere around 1B dollars. You could buy a lot more than busses for that much money.

TomB
    Participant

How about renaming this stretch of Mound Street through Downtown. Many of the street names Downtown are, we’ll, a little uninspired.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Mound works like those streets in the ‘burbs that are named after things that were destroyed in the making of the street. Like Bubbling Brook Dr. and Tall Pine Circle.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

So maybe it could be renamed to Excavated Sacred Burial Mound Street?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE