Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Most Americans Want a Walkable Neighborhood, Not a Big House

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Most Americans Want a Walkable Neighborhood, Not a Big House

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

That article seems to imply suburban attributes to Worthington that would make it read as fitting into some stereotype of an unwalkable suburb. It is a good deal larger and more diverse than the Short North with varying degrees of walkability and building stock. These types of pseudo-studies seem very generic and overly simplistic.

I prefer the more traditional infotainment ones that list the 10 best libraries to pick up hot chicks.

JeepGirl
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    These types of pseudo-studies seem very generic and overly simplistic.

And maybe a little self-serving when it’s written by someone who’s paid to advocate for sustainable, walkable urban development, and buries that disclosure towards the end of the article.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Can’t I have both?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf said:
    Can’t I have both?

In some neighborhoods, yep!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    That article seems to imply suburban attributes to Worthington that would make it read as fitting into some stereotype of an unwalkable suburb. It is a good deal larger and more diverse than the Short North with varying degrees of walkability and building stock. These types of pseudo-studies seem very generic and overly simplistic.

I prefer the more traditional infotainment ones that list the 10 best libraries to pick up hot chicks.

Pretty clearly labeled as an opinion piece from the start.

mrpoppinzs

lifeontwowheels said:
    Pretty clearly labeled as an opinion piece from the start.

I am not questioning their opinions, but the anecdotal info they use to back them.

News
    Participant

Live Large in Small Houses
    Posted August 14, 2012

In my neighborhood, a simple drive down a major street reveals startling changes from block to block. One moment, I’m driving through an area dense with multifamily housing units, the next I’m walking through a peaceful meadow where a sprawling home takes over much of the land.

READ MORE: http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/ccjao/57836/live-large-small-houses

tdziemia
    Participant

THe idea that Americans are valuing something other than size of home is pure bullshit in my opinion.

The average size of new homes being purchased has been on a steady rise for the last 45 years. It dips during each recession, then takes off again.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/us_home_size_preferences_final.html

In my opinion, the ONLY reason for this to change is because the baby boomers have some sense of their mortality and have stopped buying McMansions.

Behavior is determined from facts, not from opinion polls.

News
    Participant

The disturbing and sometimes tragic challenge of walking in America
    Posted January 16, 2013

In much of America, walking – that most basic and human method of movement, and the one most important to our health – is all but impossible. Maybe not literally impossible, but inconvenient at best, and tragically dangerous way too often.

READ MORE: http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/the_disturbing_and_sometimes_t.html

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

News said:
    The disturbing and sometimes tragic challenge of walking in America
    Posted January 16, 2013

In much of America, walking – that most basic and human method of movement, and the one most important to our health – is all but impossible. Maybe not literally impossible, but inconvenient at best, and tragically dangerous way too often.

READ MORE: http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/the_disturbing_and_sometimes_t.html

Some of these stories about pedestrians getting hit and charged with interfering with traffic remind me of the stories I hear about from the Middle East, when a woman is raped and she is charged for being a victim of rape…

gramarye
    Participant

tdziemia said:
    THe idea that Americans are valuing something other than size of home is pure bullshit in my opinion.

Homes have been getting larger over time for many decades, true. However, the familiar mantra of the real estate industry is not “size, size, size.”

derm
    derm
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Can’t I have both?

Come on over to Grandview. Loose Goose is right down the street and they have a great happy hour beer deal.

InnerCore
    Participant

tdziemia said:

The average size of new homes being purchased has been on a steady rise for the last 45 years. It dips during each recession, then takes off again.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/us_home_size_preferences_final.html

In my opinion, the ONLY reason for this to change is because the baby boomers have some sense of their mortality and have stopped buying McMansions.

Behavior is determined from facts, not from opinion polls.

I like it how you took a few facts then used them to create you’re own opinion not really based on facts. The information you provided even shows that the size of houses has been declining. And somehow you argue against this because of the trend line over 45 years??? I think everyone here is talking about what Americans want in this decade not 4 decades ago.

Furthermore Americans have been in large part moving back to urban areas and increasingly living in rental housing which is usually much smaller. The only housing being built lately is luxury housing which tends to be bigger. So regardless of what the average home size is doing that doesn’t account for where the average American is living, and that’s in smaller housing.

GCrites80s
    Participant

gramarye said:
    Homes have been getting larger over time for many decades, true. However, the familiar mantra of the real estate industry is not “size, size, size.”

Haha, indeed true.

david161
    Participant

While all the construction of apartments in and around downtown is great, the idea of more people wanting to live in a walkable neighborhood over a big house is a stretch. Just look at the numbers for Columbus. Almost 1.9 million people live in the Columbus metro area. 780,000 live in Columbus. Guessing that at least half of the people that live in Columbus do not live in a walkable neighborhood, that leaves at most 400,000 people in Columbus live in a walkable neighborhood. Add another 100,000 for those that live in walkable areas of the suburbs and you get half a million out of 1.9 million people living in a walkable neighborhood. If you keep the big east coast cities, Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco out of the discussion, most Americans live in rural or suburban areas, not walkable neighborhoods.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: