Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Most Americans Want a Walkable Neighborhood, Not a Big House

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Most Americans Want a Walkable Neighborhood, Not a Big House

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Walker said:

Does it look like CU is endorsing I LOVE BACON? ;)

*G* yes.

columbusmike

This is just offensive and pathetic. It is possible to defend what you like and believe in without such bile.

A.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Andrew Hall said:
    Because it creates a false conclusion. It is like saying Americans prefer turkey sandwiches to tuna salad … while neglecting they dominantly want cheeseburgers.

It’s more like saying Americans prefer turkey sandwiches to tuna salad while neglecting that they dominantly want to drink coke. Somewhat related, but not mutually exclusive.

Andrew Hall said:
    If you read the details, privacy is more equated with separation, not walls.

I only skimmed the full report, but will dive into it when I have a few extra moments tonight. I wonder what level of separation is expected when placing value there.

I also wonder if Americans know what they want at all. It seems many people want two things that contrast each other (walkability to amenities *and* separation from the world) or they desire one thing, but are currently willing to settle for the opposite.

Walker
    I also wonder if Americans know what they want at all. It seems many people want two things that contrast each other (walkability to amenities *and* separation from the world) or they desire one thing, but are currently willing to settle for the opposite.

Bad survey design more than anything.

And surveys are inherently problematic in matters like this. Without a stake people will answer differently than when they really do have a stake (actual purchase.)

A.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Andrew Hall said:
    This is just offensive and pathetic. It is possible to defend what you like and believe in without such bile.

I have to agree. Columbusmike isn’t doing anyone any favors with this kind of crazy ranting.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:

Or even see the value in one thing, but find greater value in something else.

rory
    Participant

Andrew Hall said:
    Bad survey design more than anything.

And surveys are inherently problematic in matters like this. Without a stake people will answer differently than when they really do have a stake (actual purchase.)

A.

I was intrigued by the many choices and trade-offs people have to make; budget, commute, privacy, walkability, lot size etc. And you could see how the lowest common denominator might win in some situations for some people like school districts. I thought the study was heartening in that farmland preservation seems important. I also thought that Walker’s privacy fence idea seemed valid rather than separation and this is something I see in my neighborhood quite often.

dubdave00
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Sidewalks often are a lame attempt to give the perception of walkability in neighborhoods that are inherently non-walkable (modern suburbs). Roads in America actually used to be very walkable…but now when Soccer Mom Jane and her son Jimmy in her white Lexus SUV comes screaming down Maple Tree Avenue at 45 miles per hour, that sort of renders roads for cars only. Then all the stay at home mommies start crying that they need sidewalks so they can walk around the block in their strikingly inappropriate gym clothing at 9am while “hubby” grinds away at his office cubicle, moving paper money for 8 or 9 hours until he can come home with a big grease bag of Micky D’s sludge burgers and fries, while he opens his PBR and watches a little Kim Kardashian on his China-made 70″ trance-inducing plasma TV.

As a member of the burbs, that’s just not true!
    We drink Bud Light…

columbusmike
    Participant

Cookie said:
    But tell us how you really feel about people who live in the suburbs.

I hadn’t had my morning coffee yet…apparently my sarcasm isn’t as evident pre-caffeine. :)

ricospaz
    Participant

Surveys like this are BS anyway, who knows what cross-section of America was used?

To each their own. I owned a house in the burbs, had to drive to go anywhere. The house was modern and drafty and frankly, crappy. That’s my fault. I got sick of my commute, sick of my fiancee, and sold it and eventually moved to an 85 yr old house in Grandview. It has a little bit of everything. I have a lawn, a garage, easy access to basically anywhere in Columbus, and I can walk to restaurants, bars and grocery. I also drive to Raising Canes because I love it. Choice choice choice! and my car gets 20 mpg. Boo

bman
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I hadn’t had my morning coffee yet…apparently my sarcasm isn’t as evident pre-caffeine. :)

Oh nevermind … No comment from New Albany.

byJody
    Participant

alexs said:
    Meanwhile we have roads like Henderson, two lanes at 50 mph and nothing more than a goat path alongside the road for pedestrians.

Totally agree, I see lots of people tromping along parts of Henderson and Kenny where there is no sidewalk. They are truly the “trail blazers”

ETA: Wait, I am confused, I thought it was the Urban Hipsters who drink PBR!?!?!?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Henderson is an interesting case study. It punches through 1960s – 70s neighborhoods laid out as winding streets that do not make attractive shortcuts. So it’s Henderson or nothing, and when the road was designed, walkability was obviously not even in consideration.

Or, there’s Godown Road, again with no sidewalks. Instead it’s guard rails at the pavement’s edge, and weeds hanging into the lane, with nowhere for a pedestrian to go but in a lane of traffic. You might dismiss that by saying nobody walks there, except Columbus changed the school bus routes, so you have students walking to Centennial High School, in the road, before daylight.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ricospaz said:
    …moved to an 85 yr old house in Grandview. It has a little bit of everything. I have a lawn, a garage, easy access to basically anywhere in Columbus, and I can walk to restaurants, bars and grocery. I also drive to Raising Canes because I love it. Choice choice choice! and my car gets 20 mpg. Boo

Sounds like the best of both worlds then. ;)

cheap

columbusmike said:
    Sidewalks often are a lame attempt to give the perception of walkability in neighborhoods that are inherently non-walkable (modern suburbs). Roads in America actually used to be very walkable…but now when Soccer Mom Jane and her son Jimmy in her white Lexus SUV comes screaming down Maple Tree Avenue at 45 miles per hour, that sort of renders roads for cars only. Then all the stay at home mommies start crying that they need sidewalks so they can walk around the block in their strikingly inappropriate gym clothing at 9am while “hubby” grinds away at his office cubicle, moving paper money for 8 or 9 hours until he can come home with a big grease bag of Micky D’s sludge burgers and fries, while he opens his PBR and watches a little Kim Kardashian on his China-made 70″ trance-inducing plasma TV.

man,get a grip.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: